Anyone notice all the SSR Resales for 120 points?

sheryl0521

DIS Veteran
Seems very odd that these are so similar to the current incentive being offered by DVC. These contracts have been stripped of the points until 2007, and annual dues are paid. Great price of $78 per point compared to the "15% off" (or $83.30) offered by DVC. But you do have to cover closing costs - one resale states the seller will split closing with the buyer.

Is this the direction DVC wants to go in for selling points at SSR? Could there be a slow down going on for DVC needing entice with all these "offers" going on lately? Remember the "free AP with purchase" offer earlier in the year?

Makes me wonder.... :confused3

DVC Resale of SSR 1
DVC Resale of SSR 2

I could be wrong but I think the SSR deal from Disney includes an extra 120 points from 2005 plus 2006's.

I would pay the few dollars a point more to get 2005 and 2006 points. I wouldn't want to spend all that money and have nothing until 07.

sheryl0521 said:
Great price of $78 per point compared to the "15% off" (or $83.30) offered by DVC. [/URL]

Do you really think it is a great price even after counting closing costs?

On a contract of 120 points closing costs could run about $4.00 per point, now you are so close to DVC direct price that the lack of points make it "not so great" IMO.

Even if the seller splits closing you are looking at $80 per point for a contract that wont get any points till 2007.

Again in my book "not so great".
v

I wasn't talking about the price, but about the kind of people that are buying these contracts, using the 240 points (2005+2006) for a vacation and then turning around and reselling to dump it. Seems a bit skeevy, don't you think?

sheryl0521 said:
I wasn't talking about the price, but about the kind of people that are buying these contracts, using the 240 points (2005+2006) for a vacation and then turning around and reselling to dump it. Seems a bit skeevy, don't you think?
Not to me. They probably won't get a very good price when they sell and that "240 point vacation" may turn out to be more expensive than they planned. Just because they list for $78 per point doesn't mean anyone will offer to buy at that price.

IMHO, anyone who does any research at all and wants SSR will probably buy from Disney (for a better deal). The listed resale price would have to be a lot lower to tempt me - so low that Disney would probably exercise ROFR. That means the seller is going to end up with a lot less than $78 per point - and that is not counting the broker's commission.

So, if anyone bought to vacation and dump, IMHO, they are going to end up "hoisted on their own petard" so to speak, LOL. I'm not all that sorry for them if that is the case. JMHO. YMMV.

Best wishes-

sheryl0521 said:

I wouldn't say "skeevey." They're not being dishonest about anything. If they want to buy, use two years' points, and sell, that's their prerogative. They've still got to find someone willing to buy it, though. :)

I guess I am missing how it can be a win situation for the buyer OR the seller. These are probably the 120 point contracts that folks did with the add on offer from last year. My guess is that they emptied the contract and are unloading to get rid of the maintenance fees.

I am amazed by the amount of resales (not only for SSR but other resorts as well) that are stripped of points. I think that's terrible for sellers to use all of the points available this year as well as borrow next year's points and then try to dump the contract. That just doesn't seem right but all of this information is spelled out with the resale so potential buyers are aware of what they are going to get and when.

I definitely think the direct purchase through DVC makes a lot more sense right now. I can't believe someone would spend approximately $10K ($9,360 plus closing costs) for a 120-point resale and not be able to use points until 2007 are available. They really should call DVC directly and spend only $2,000 more to receive points immediately and get 30 points more than the resale. This is a no-brainer to me. Annmarie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter