• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone participate in a non-alumni AI? or MI?

Wildman113

Earning My Ears
I am wondering if anybody has applied and/or been invited to an Advanced OR Management Internship. I will graduate in May with a BBA in Management and am very much interested in working for Disney - it has been my lifelong dream.

I have not participated in the college program before (due to wanting to finish school as quickly as possible and other issues). I noticed that they offer roles (in the AI) to those who have not participated in the CP.

I am also wondering if a CP internship would prove just as effective. I have "pre-registered" for an interview, although I am still debating on whether I should attempt this or just go search for a job (since I am about to graduate) The presentation is in two weeks (March 14)

Feel free to PM me or instant message me on AIM: minleo4 or post on this board.

Thanks

Well, you have a couple of options. You can apply for the MI or a non-alumni AI, or you can apply for a CP, and then apply for an AI or MI at the end of that as well, even though you'll have graduated.

Do you have management experience outside of school? That's a huge thing, especially as competitive as the MIs tend to be. If you don't have any, I would recommend trying a CP, trying to go for the lines of business you'd be interested in, making contacts and networking while you're down there, and then applying for the MI.

Also, accepting a CP/AI/MI is non-binding. You can always accept it and still take other offers. There's no reason not to try.

I initially throught of a CP as my only option, until I saw the AI non-alumni thing. I do not have any management experience, just skills working with the public when I was a pharmacy tech.

If the MI is as competitive as it's made out to be, I may just opt for the CP (the only thing about that is the low rate of pay - but you gotta start somewhere) I mean, I'm not expecting a 6-figure salary to be offered to me tomorrow, but yet I wouldn't much care for scraping the bottom of the barrel either, especially with a useful degree under my belt.

I also think that my degree (BBA Management) will not hinder me, but at least help a little. What is your evaluation of the AI? Would I stand a chance? I looked (under non-alumni, on the website) and they have a few areas listed under Human Resources, which is the field in which I'd like to have a career. Wonder if I would be on equal footing as others, since it's specified as appealing to non-alumni.

Thanks

Well, the thing with most of those AIs available to non-alumni is that in their "Desired Qualifications," they do list WDWCP Alumni. So depending on who applies, there's a possibility that you could be at a disadvantage.

Go to your presentation and talk to the recruiter about your options. He or she will have the best knowledge of the possibilities for you. They can't make the decision for you, but they can definitely help you make a well-informed one. It's their job!

It's a hard decision to make, I know! I'm graduating this semester and applying for an AI, but I'm a CP alum and I do have another job offer in the Orlando area, so I'm moving down regardless. I seriously considered doing another CP and then applying for an AI at the end of it, but decided to just go for it literally the day of the presentation.

I noticed that going through the CP once put you at more of an advantage than not having participated at all. As I understand it, you can only sign up for one of the internships (CP or AI or MI) at a time, right?

Well, that's where it gets tricky.

For an MI, that's it. That's all you can apply for. For an AI, you have the option of applying to the college program as a backup. However -- and this is the fun part -- there is no guarantee that you will be offered a role if you don't get the AI you applied for. Basically, you get where they can put you, and if that's in quick service f&b, which you didn't put on your role checklist, that's it -- if there even are roles available. From what I've heard, most of the time, there aren't.

But yes, going through the CP even once gives you a major advantage over someone who hasn't. Think about it -- someone who has done the CP has been exposed to the corporate culture and practices. They're not coming in as a total outsider. That's a huge training advantage for the company.

Let's see if I understand correctly...

I can put my name down for a non-alumni AI AND a regular CP?? I wouldn't have to interview but once, right? OK, let's say that I do that - signup for both. Interview(s) go fine. Letter comes in the mail. If I am understanding you correctly, if I don't get in the AI, they will automatically default to the CP and put you wherever? You can't apply for a position under each internship? Sorry if I am being too confusing.

Sometimes I think that I should bypass the whole thing and just view it as vacation time.

When you apply for an Advanced Internship, there is a box checked on your information sheet (that you will fill out at the interview) stating whether or not you would like to also apply for the CP.

If you check that box, you also fill out a role sheet checking off the roles you're willing to perform. If you get the Advanced Internship, you'll never hear about it again. If you do not get the Advanced Internship, if there are open positions in the roles you checked, and they're offered to you, you will have the option of doing a CP. If there are not open positions, or for some reason you're not accepted for a CP, then that's it.

The fun part? You won't find out either way until the tail end of the semester -- or, for you, after school has ended. AI notifications go out May 13th.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter