• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone run a race in Europe?

bellrae

DIS Veteran
Has anyone run a race in Europe? I am doing a half in two weeks in Switzerland whilst there on holidays. I am wondering if there is anything different etiquette wise I need to know? I've read the race guide which came out today but it doesn't deal with this topic.

I've run quite a few races in Europe and haven't noticed any unusual etiquette issues or concerns. Some of the races had a very high percentage of serious racers compared to what you'll find at a typical race in the US. Very few people run/walking, no costumes to speak of, and not much casual conversation along the way. This fits in with how my European friends view their running. They don't really go and run races just for fun like many Americans do. To them, a race is a race and it gets treated as such.

I have never run a race in the US, but several here in Germany and I have watched the Berlin Marathon a few times while I was living there and once the London Marathon. I would agree with what @FFigawi said about the races having a very athletic focus. Especially when you get to the half marathon level. That is why I usually only run 5ks and 10ks. And even there with my speed (about a 7 minute per km pace) I usually finish with the last quarter of finishers. Costumes tend to be very far and inbetween on most of my races. I have seen more costumes at the Berlin Marathon and London Marathon though.

Otherwise I would just recommend to be observant as to what the runners around you are doing and follow their lead and use common sense! Have a great race!

Agree with FFigawi and Flossbolna. Also learned that you can smoke before the race and change all of your clothes at your car and nobody will notice!

I totally agree with PP. I have done a 5k Colour Run in my local park organised by The Irish Cancer Society for the last few years. This is the most relaxed of the runs but even still very few people are in costumes, I dress up every year and its usually just a sea of white charity tshirts and black leggings. Even in this run which is very much a family event, there are some serious runners, who just literally race the course, speeding by everyone. You dont find many people randomly talking, just the groups of friends or families.

Afterwards dont worry about just changing at your car. I dont drive and every year bring a change of clothes which I leave in the bag drop area. After the event I just go to the side and completely change, even cleaning down with wet flannels and no one takes one bit of notice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter