AP Only Info Thread Reservation System /Extensions / Refunds

I just discovered the Wdw calculation link (at bottom of post)

few days ago cancelled my GD’s platinum renewal at DVC rate.
Renewal date was 1/4/20.

Btw, pass never used this year

following formula, unless I missed a step, coming up with only $150 refund

:crazy:That cannot be right. Paid $764+ for it.

Partial Refund Eligibility/Calculation

• The refund amount, if any, for each pass circumstance is unique and based on factors such as: new or renewal, down payment amount, refunds to date, activation date, etc.
  • If the total amount that you paid for your pass(es) (minus any refunds already given and any payments waived, returned or not collected) exceeds the “usable value” (see below) of your pass(es), that excess will be refunded to you.
  • The usable value of your pass(es) equals the total sale price of your pass(es) multiplied by the number of days that you could have visited any park prior to March 16 and divided by the total number of access days to any park permitted under the pass(es) at pass activation.
  • If you made a payment between July 11, 2020 and August 11, 2020 or a payment between March 14, 2020 and April 4, 2020 that was not already refunded, your refund will be at least the amount of any such payment(s).

Renewal date was 1/4/20.

• The usable value of your pass(es) equals the total sale price of your pass(es) multiplied by the number of days that you could have visited any park prior to March 16 and divided by the total number of access days to any park permitted under the pass(es) at pass activation.

This sounds more like what you should have paid for the time that you could have used the pass. The refund should be the cost of the pass minus the above calculation. In your case approximately $764-$150 =$614. Another poorly worded communication about APs from Disney 🙄 .

Last edited:
We are a family of four, all Gold pass AP`s, that we used for a 6 day trip in December 2019 and planned to use them again in July and November this year. Due to the pandemic, this is not going to happen, espcecially, since we are international AP holder and don`t know, when the travel ban will be lifted - right now, we even aren`t allowed entry to the US.
A couple of pages ago, "disneygrandma" told about her experience and success in asking for the AP`s to be frozen until next year and then start again, to cover the vacations they were initially bought for. The CM she talked to was very helpful and agreed to freeze the AP`s for now and have them extended for use freom June 2021 to December 2021 - which would be more or less the exact same thing for us. The CM also explained, that evrey case would be handled on a case by case basis, so everybody which special concerns should email them.

Well, that`s what I did - just got the answer:

"I am very sorry that your family was unable to visit the Walt Disney World Resort when you had planned to. Unfortunately, there is no way to freeze or pause the Annual Passes. The Walt Disney World Resort has offered to extend all Annual Passes for the time that the Theme Parks were closed or the ability to get a partial refund for the Annual Passes. This can be done by contacting Ticketing Guest Services at 407-566-4985. Sadly we are unable to assist with any further extension past what is being offered by the Walt Disney World Resort. I am sorry for any disappointment this might cause. "

Obviously, I am less than thrilled with this reply! This is far from being "individual" or "case by case" and it shows again, that everything depends on who you are talking to.

We WANT to keep our passes, we are VERY loyal Disney people, AP holder over the last 10 or more years, DVC member, Disney addicted .... We WANT to visit WDW as soon, as we are allowed to travel to the US again and won`t have to quarantine for 2 weeks after return ( DH and I are self employed...), so I think right now, we are sort of punished. Even if we would want to fly right now, we were not allowed to come and nobody knows, when the borders will be open again. Just a simple extension of our AP`s is not at all helpful In this situation, since we probably will not be able to use them.

So instead of refunding us money, we would be just happy with keeping our AP´s, have them frozen instantly for the remainder of the days and start acivating them again that very moment we are able to use them. From my point of view, this would also be a win for Disney, since they don`t have to refund us.

I will try again now via chat and some other email addresses to maybe have some CM finally, who will be able to help us that way, "disneygrandma" was suggesting - which by the way, was a great idea, fair for both sides, as I think.
Exactly same experience. It is really disappointing to have such dramatically different experiences depending on who you are lucky enough to reach.

I talked with a CM this morning regarding possibly cancelling our APs. We are still contemplating what to do. She said she could request that I receive an email with an estimate of the refund we will receive if we do cancel. She said they just started sending these emails about a week ago. It is frustrating that they just started notifying folks of a refund amount, a week before the deadline. Especially since many of us have been asking for an estimate for weeks/months. The cast member said it could take up to 72 hours to receive the email after being requested. Hopefully I will receive the email before the 12th.
Have you heard back on this? I’ve been so curious about the calculation but finally cancelled without confirmation of amount.

Have you heard back on this? I’ve been so curious about the calculation but finally cancelled without confirmation of amount.
I have not received the email yet. I hope I receive it before the 12th. I’ll post when/if I receive it with any details.

That i no longer have. How do I get my refund? Do they send me a check? Anyone experience this?

Renewal date was 1/4/20.

• The refund amount, if any, for each pass circumstance is unique and based on factors such as: new or renewal, down payment amount, refunds to date, activation date, etc.
  • If the total amount that you paid for your pass(es) (minus any refunds already given and any payments waived, returned or not collected) exceeds the “usable value” (see below) of your pass(es), that excess will be refunded to you.
  • If you made a payment between July 11, 2020 and August 11, 2020 or a payment between March 14, 2020 and April 4, 2020 that was not already refunded, your refund will be at least the amount of any such payment(s).
I don’t understand the formula at all. 🤷🏻‍♀️ We are platinum plus, used for 14 days original expiry 3rd of October . 🤔

Where did you discover the link for the information you posted?

I did the math using the method shown above, and it comes within $10 of what I had expected by doing the math the way I had been told by the castmember I spoke to when I cancelled. The cast member told me that the extended expiration date was my original expiration date + the 117 days that the park was closed; the refund would be for the number of days from 07/11/2020 (the day the parks reopened) through my extended expiration date.

Ok, I have to admit, I don‘t get the math - I think I am doing it wrong (at least, I hope that I am wrong, because otherwise I would end up with the same 150,00 refund as the OP has stated - for a pass I paid $607 plus tax and used for 5 days 😳). So we bought our Gold AP on Dec. 6th, 2019, used them for 6 days, have our extended expiration date now set on May 1st. 2021.
Could anyone help me with the calculation ? TIA 😍

Ok, I have to admit, I don‘t get the math - I think I am doing it wrong (at least, I hope that I am wrong, because otherwise I would end up with the same 150,00 refund as the OP has stated - for a pass I paid $607 plus tax and used for 5 days 😳). So we bought our Gold AP on Dec. 6th, 2019, used them for 6 days, have our extended expiration date now set on May 1st. 2021.
Could anyone help me with the calculation ? TIA 😍

PP passed on a formula. I personally have not seen that formula in an email or on the Disney World website. However, I'm sure that PP passed on the information to be helpful to us. According to that formula, you would calculate your refund as follows:

a) Write down the amount you paid for the annual pass.

b) Write down the date that you activated your AP at Disney World. You "activated" it by going to a Ticket Window or a Guest Relations window at Disney World. They should have handed you the AP card at that time.

c) Count the number of days between when your AP was activated and 03/16/2020 (the day the parks were closed).
So in your case, for December it's from the day your pass was activated to the 31st. January 2020 had 31 days. February 2020 had 29 days. For March 2020 use 15 days because the parks were closed beginning 03/16/2020.

d) (The amount you wrote down in Step A as the amount you paid) x (the number of days you counted in Step C) divided by (366 days per year because 2020 is a leap year) = the dollar amount of your usable value.

e) (The amount you wrote down in Step A as the amount you paid) minus (the dollar amount of the usuable value you calculated in Step D) = your refund amount.

If people think I'm wrong, let me know and I will delete.

Edit: this assumes you paid all at once (not monthly payments) and it assumes you waited until July to cancel.

Last edited:
IF PP's formula is correct (and I don't know if it is), I think you calculate your refund as follows:

b) Write down the date that you activated your AP at Disney World. You "activated" it by going to a Ticket Window or a Guest Relations window at Disney World. They should have handed you the AP card at that time.

c) Count the number of days between when your AP was activated and 03/16/2020 (the day the parks were closed).
So in your case, for December it's from the day your pass was activated to the 31st. January 2020 had 31 days. February 2020 had 29 days. For March 2020 use 15 days because the parks were closed beginning 03/16/2020.

d) (The amount you wrote down in Step A as the amount you paid) x (the number of days you counted in Step C) divided by (366 days per year because 2020 is a leap year) = the dollar amount of your usable value.

e) (The amount you wrote down in Step A as the amount you paid) minus (the dollar amount of the usuable value you calculated in Step D) = your refund amount.

So to me it read days you could use the tickets. Like not including blackout days, it would only be 365/366 if you had a higher tier pass that had no blackout days. I could be wrong but that’s the way I took it to mean.

IF PP's formula is correct (and I don't know if it is), I think you calculate your refund as follows:

Ok, this would then make sense, as that would lead me to roughly $450 refund. I think I mixed step D and E and considered the usable value to be my refund, which would then have been around $150.
Thanks a lot for getting that straight for me ! I couldn‘t wrap my head around the refund being such a small portion of what I had paid.

I requested a refund for the closed period back in May/June. I have gotten through once for a different question and they commented that my request was still in the system. I paid with DGC and was informed my refund would be in the form a new (different numbers) DGC, even though I still have the original DGC(s). I have tried unsuccessfully to get through the last few days. Is there any indication from others how long I will be waiting on my refund?

This sounds more like what you should have paid for the time that you could have used the pass. The refund should be the cost of the pass minus the above calculation. In your case approximately $764-$150 =$614. Another poorly worded communication about APs from Disney 🙄 .
That’s ballpark what I had expected

I don’t understand the formula at all. 🤷🏻‍♀️ We are platinum plus, used for 14 days original expiry 3rd of October . 🤔
Seems arbitrary to me too
Where did you discover the link for the information you posted?

I did the math using the method shown above, and it comes within $10 of what I had expected by doing the math the way I had been told by the castmember I spoke to when I cancelled. The cast member told me that the extended expiration date was my original expiration date + the 117 days that the park was closed; the refund would be for the number of days from 07/11/2020 (the day the parks reopened) through my extended expiration date.
Followed link on email from them...not one that I received though. Was on one of the bloggers sites, can’t remember which

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/passholders/cancel-annual-pass-reopening-refund/
Not “my” formula, don’t kill the messenger. Would like to think you aren’t questioning me as to it’s factual integrity.:oops:

Haven’t been following the ins & outs rabidly here re APH refunds, having only recently deciding to pull the pug on GD’s pass.

I was just checking in here hoping somebody might know or could interpret what I read on WDW website.

Again, to avoid any ‘misunderstandings’, here is the content from above link, directly from WDW website:

Q.

I’m an Annual Passholder who opted to cancel my annual pass, and I may be eligible for a refund. How will annual pass refunds be calculated?
A.

If you elected to cancel your pass(es), here’s how your refund will be calculated:
How to Take Action
  • If you have already elected to cancel your pass(es), this will be automatically processed for your pass(es). You do not need to take any additional action.
  • If you have not selected any option (no action) and would like to select this option to cancel your pass(es), please refer to the email from Disney Destinations on July 14, 2020 and use the personalized link available through August 11, 2020. Or, you may call V.I.PASSHOLDER Support at (407) 939-7277. We appreciate your patience as we answer all inquiries.
  • If you previously took action to elect to continue with your pass(es) and now would like to cancel your pass(es), please call V.I.PASSHOLDER Support at (407) 939-7277. We appreciate your patience as we answer all inquiries.

Last edited:
  • If the total amount that you paid for your pass(es) exceeds the “usable value” that excess will be refunded to you.
So, the refund is the cost of the pass minus the useable value as calculated in the second bullet. In other words, the refund is the cost of the pass times the percentage of the days left on the pass. If you could have used the pass for 25% of the days that the pass was normally valid then your refund is 75% of the cost of the pass. It appears that there is no adjustment based on how many days the AP was actually used.

So, the refund is the cost of the pass minus the useable value as calculated in the second bullet. In other words, the refund is the cost of the pass times the percentage of the days left on the pass. If you could have used the pass for 25% of the days that the pass was normally valid then your refund is 75% of the cost of the pass. It appears that there is no adjustment based on how many days the AP was actually used.

Maybe I need another cuppa java, still confused

Thinking this should be what I receive as refund then on platinum pass (no blackout dates) ???

I paid $764+ On renewal date of 1/4/20

= 72 days

366 - 72 = 294 days

$764 divided by 366 = $2.08 value per day

$2.08 X 294 = 611.52

:confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter