AP Question

kelmac284

Lover of all things Disney since 1975
Ok this year we bit the bullet and I bought AP's for myself and my 2 daughters (under 9). My dh and stepdaughter don't have them because they didn't go on our trip in June and my dh I figured would only get one trip and I didn't think it would be worth it. However I have a few questions in that regard.

Our passes (daughter's and mine) are good till Next June 16th or 17th I think. I bought passes through Getaway today for 3 days that we are going to use in November. Would it be worth it to upgrade dh's and dsd's passes to AP's so that when we all go in June of 07 they will already have tickets? Can you upgrade a pass bought through getaway today? And how many days do you have to go to make it cheaper to buy the annual pass. In other words. If you go more than say 5 days is it cheaper to just buy an ap?

The reason I ask is because my mom and I MAY take the kids back down in Feb so that way DSD would already have a pass and we are def going next June to use "our" passes up before they expire. Dh is going in Nov and I have already purchased the 3 day hopper for him and dsd but he won't be able to go in Feb. He WILL be going with us though next June. So is it worth it to upgrade?

Also do you get a discount to renew your ap's? We try to go at least once a year so I am wondering even if we only get to go once in 08 is it worth it to renew? How many days in 08 would I have to go to make it cheaper then just buying a hopper.

Sorry if this is confusing but I am just trying to decide what the cheapest route is.

As I said my daughter's and I's passes expire next June and if we got another AP I may consider a trip in Oct of 07, Feb of 08 and def we are going in June of 08.

We plan to also do san diego though so I was wondering if it would just be better to forgo the AP and buy a citypass for 08.

Thanks in advance for any and all help and again I hope this all made sense.

If not I will try to explain better. Thanks! :)

You can upgrade from a park hopper to an AP that is equal or greater in price. Check the blockout dates and go with the lowest priced park hopper so that you can upgrade to a Deluxe rather than the Premium. Yes, Disney offers a reduced price of $20 if you renew early. Usually, we just wait to renew when we return to the park and renew the APs on a blockout day. That way we can enter the park even though it may be blocked for SoCal or Deluxe. For instance: Saturdays are usually blocked but Sundays are open so we renew on Saturday, enter the parks and then return to the parks on Sunday. It's like getting a free day in the parks. Hope this answers your question and yes, I think it is worth getting an AP if you are returning within the year...

We upgraded our five day park hoppers last year for 40 bucks each. I think that it was way worth it. We renewed this year again and have already gone enough times to make it worth the price. Did that make sense?

ok cool that was what I was thinking too. I think you guys are right that if I renew mine most likely it will give us a reason to go back since we have them anyway. I have the deluxe pass so I do have some saturdays blocked out but other than that most of the times that we go aren't blocked out.

Thanks for the help!!

A comment on renewing. You get $20 off the deluxe and premium not the so cal tickets. Also when you renew you are extending your pass by one year. It is not 1 year from date of purchase. So your pass expires June 16 2007, if you renew in 2007, it will expire June 15, 2008 (2008 is a leap year, if it were not it would be June 16) you can not change the expiration date when you renew.

yeah I have a deluxe and that is fine about it going on till next June. I would not be renewing mine until it expires in June of 2007 anyway. I just was trying to figure out if it was worth it to renew money wise or to just let it expire and go back to hoppers for any trips in 08 we might take.

That is the rub. When we travel we usually use getaway today and they usually give you 2 free adult park hoppers for either 3 or 5 days depending on the season. So no matter what we would get those tickets as part of our package. So if we already had AP's I don't think we get a discount we just don't get the free tickets. At this point we are going this november and possibly in Feb and definitely in June of 07 right before our current passes expire. So myself and the girls will get 2 or 3 more uses out of our passes before they expire (we already used them once in June).

If I upgrade dh's and dsd's hoppers to AP's dsd could use it in Feb AND in June as well as dh and their's would be good till Nov of 07 so if we end up going in Oct of 08 they would be able to use them then too.

Anyway thanks for the tips and I am probably getting really confusing now LOL.

I wish I could find a chart that breaks it down in my bonehead terms so I could truly see the difference. :)

I am not sure if I read your response right about getawaytoday. You will still get the room price without the tickets. Just tell them that you don't need the tickets. That is what we did this year.

That's funny that you posted that. I did a comparison right after I posted this. I realized that you really ARENT getting free tickets. They have that worded very slyly. For the tickets and rooms that we bought for this November I realized that if my dh and dsd had tickets already we would have only had to pay for the room which would be 175 instead the 475 that we paid. Plus right now their tickets aren't really discounted as they are currently the same price as the disney website.

I am glad I finally figured this out cuz I was thinking we always got 2 free tickets and if we DIDN"T buy them we wouldn't get a credit just would lose out but now I know we can actually SAVE money because we just won't buy them if we renew our AP's.

Thanks for that info.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter