AP

Twisted_cosplay

A cosplay drag queen.
Hello everyone! I am moving from good old Canada to Arizona! I was thinking of getting an AP to Universal and Disneyland... is it worth it? (when it reopens) or is it just a waste of money? I want to go to Disney as much as i can and maybe even move to Cali at some point! I just don't want to spend money on nothing!

Don't. know about USH (try asking in the Southern California Theme Parks Board), but for DLR, I would wait until the pandemic restrictions are over and things have returned to whatever the new normal is going to be. We have no idea as of now what Disney is going to do with the DLR AP tiers, prices, blockout dates, privileges, etc. If the tiers are reduced, prices are increased, and privileges are cut -- would this make a differences to you? Just something to consider while you wait for APs to be sold again. Sometimes passes are a better deal and sometimes tickets work out better for people -- time will tell!

Don't. know about USH (try asking in the Southern California Theme Parks Board), but for DLR, I would wait until the pandemic restrictions are over and things have returned to whatever the new normal is going to be. We have no idea as of now what Disney is going to do with the DLR AP tiers, prices, blockout dates, privileges, etc. If the tiers are reduced, prices are increased, and privileges are cut -- would this make a differences to you? Just something to consider while you wait for APs to be sold again. Sometimes passes are a better deal and sometimes tickets work out better for people -- time will tell!

Thank for your your input! especially since i will be living in Arizona i don't want to spend a lot of money if i'm not going to use it! I think I will wait till DL reopens!!!! I hope it does soon though! I NEED Disney parks in my life lol.

I don't think Universal is worth it from Arizona. I'd only get one if I lived within a couple miles. They offer specials sometimes where the cost of a limited AP is the same as a 2 day ticket. We bought that once and only visited 2 days and thought that was too many days in a year.

Disney is worth it for sure, but we aren't sure what it will be like as far needing to make reservations to visit, etc.. I wouldn't be in a hurry to buy one, but when things get to a new normal, it will be worth it if you plan on visiting throughout the year.

... it will be worth it if you plan on visiting throughout the year.
I would take this with a grain of salt until we know where the Disney ax falls after AP sales restart. It will depend on how many passes are available, at what prices, and how restricted. If things go back to relatively normal, then I would agree with you. If the new normal is relatively ugly? Then, not so much. (APs are fearful. Can you tell?)

I don't think Universal is worth it from Arizona. I'd only get one if I lived within a couple miles. They offer specials sometimes where the cost of a limited AP is the same as a 2 day ticket. We bought that once and only visited 2 days and thought that was too many days in a year.

Disney is worth it for sure, but we aren't sure what it will be like as far needing to make reservations to visit, etc.. I wouldn't be in a hurry to buy one, but when things get to a new normal, it will be worth it if you plan on visiting throughout the year.

Thanks! i love universal and i want to go as much as possible but i understand it not being worth it. Maybe when i love down to Cali i might get one!

Thanks! i love universal and i want to go as much as possible but i understand it not being worth it. Maybe when i love down to Cali i might get one!
Will you be moving to Southern CA? If so, that can make a difference in your DLR AP choices. The SoCal Select AP is the least expensive (but also has the most blockout dates) -- it is only available to residents (with proof!) of Southern CA. There have been rumors that this pass level will disappear sometime soon -- no one knows right now. But you might look into it to see if the basic structure (e.g. price, dates available) would work for you.

Will you be moving to Southern CA? If so, that can make a difference in your DLR AP choices. The SoCal Select AP is the least expensive (but also has the most blockout dates) -- it is only available to residents (with proof!) of Southern CA. There have been rumors that this pass level will disappear sometime soon -- no one knows right now. But you might look into it to see if the basic structure (e.g. price, dates available) would work for you.

I have no idea haha! It all depends on what i can afford! i want to move in the middle between Disneyland and universal!

I have no idea haha! It all depends on what i can afford! i want to move in the middle between Disneyland and universal!
Both those theme parks are in Southern CA! You might want to take a look at Google Maps to see how close they are to each other (about an hour+ apart). They are in two different counties, though.

We are Phoenix Arizona residents who had APs June 2016-2017. We called it our "year of unlimited Disneyland" and it was awesome. But the prices have jumped so much since then (and so many amenities have been eliminated) that I really don't think the value is there for us any more. Buying the same APs we had four years ago (two Deluxe and a Signature) would cost us something like $700 more than the $2000 we paid then, and we lose the free Photopass from the Signature as well. For the number of park days we managed that year (22), I don't think it would be worth it any more.

We are Phoenix Arizona residents who had APs June 2016-2017. We called it our "year of unlimited Disneyland" and it was awesome. But the prices have jumped so much since then (and so many amenities have been eliminated) that I really don't think the value is there for us any more. Buying the same APs we had four years ago (two Deluxe and a Signature) would cost us something like $700 more than the $2000 we paid then, and we lose the free Photopass from the Signature as well. For the number of park days we managed that year (22), I don't think it would be worth it any more.
OH wow that sucks! I had An AP back in 2013 and i went every month! (i live in Canada) It was fun! but i don't know if now (being 25 not 18) can afford that hahaha. How far is the drive to Disneyland? 5 hours?

Both those theme parks are in Southern CA! You might want to take a look at Google Maps to see how close they are to each other (about an hour+ apart). They are in two different counties, though.

Thanks ofr your help! I will for sure be looking at places. its just really expensive in cali lol

OH wow that sucks! I had An AP back in 2013 and i went every month! (i live in Canada) It was fun! but i don't know if now (being 25 not 18) can afford that hahaha. How far is the drive to Disneyland? 5 hours?
From where we are in South Phoenix, we can do it in five hours if we get REALLY lucky with traffic. Typically, it's more like 5.5-6. If we get really UNlucky (as we did once - there was a 30-mile-long backup on the I-10 near Morongo), it can take 8.

If you live out of state, I can't see Universal being worth it unless you happen to be in that general area frequently for business or something but can't make it to Disneyland.

Assuming prices don't change for Disneyland, I think you can make a flex pass worth it if you make at least two trips out where you visit the parks for three or more days. That's not difficult to do but if the parks are in pandemic conditions with few shows and no seasonal events, I personally wouldn't care to visit often.

If you live out of state, I can't see Universal being worth it unless you happen to be in that general area frequently for business or something but can't make it to Disneyland.

Assuming prices don't change for Disneyland, I think you can make a flex pass worth it if you make at least two trips out where you visit the parks for three or more days. That's not difficult to do but if the parks are in pandemic conditions with few shows and no seasonal events, I personally wouldn't care to visit often.

That's what i was thinking. I Hope things open slowly to be safe but i don't think that i will get an AP if they open slowly.

From where we are in South Phoenix, we can do it in five hours if we get REALLY lucky with traffic. Typically, it's more like 5.5-6. If we get really UNlucky (as we did once - there was a 30-mile-long backup on the I-10 near Morongo), it can take 8.

Oh wow ya that's kinda far lol! I'm not a huge fan of long drives lol! but for Disney i would make it work lol

Oh wow ya that's kinda far lol! I'm not a huge fan of long drives lol! but for Disney i would make it work lol
And you would need to factor in expenses outside of your AP, like gas, hotel for at least one night, any travel extras, etc. It can really add up to much more than just the cost of the AP itself. So it always helps to crunch the numbers before buying (always round up so you don't get caught off guard!) -- the expense might be worth it, but at least your can be prepared budget-wise.

And you would need to factor in expenses outside of your AP, like gas, hotel for at least one night, any travel extras, etc. It can really add up to much more than just the cost of the AP itself. So it always helps to crunch the numbers before buying (always round up so you don't get caught off guard!) -- the expense might be worth it, but at least your can be prepared budget-wise.

My brother and his girlfriend were also thinking of getting one each so we can all go down together. Fingers crossed it will work

My BFF and I had APs a few years ago, the 'old' Deluxe (before blockouts). What you have to do is figure out how many times you realistically expect to be able to visit. So you have to factor in lodging/transport costs along with your ability to take vacation time and decide how many days you'd be in the parks at a time.

For us it was 5 or 6 day trips a couple of times a year so we balanced it against the cost per day of 5 day hoppers. Our break point was (IIRC) 9 park days. So for us it was worth it.

If you're talking long weekends and 3 day trips (which are more expensive per day) then an AP can be even more worth it as your break even point would be fewer days in total.

Things have changed for BFF and I and now APs are so expensive and there are so many blockouts that it no longer makes sense for either of us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!