AP

My BFF and I had APs a few years ago, the 'old' Deluxe (before blockouts). What you have to do is figure out how many times you realistically expect to be able to visit. So you have to factor in lodging/transport costs along with your ability to take vacation time and decide how many days you'd be in the parks at a time.

For us it was 5 or 6 day trips a couple of times a year so we balanced it against the cost per day of 5 day hoppers. Our break point was (IIRC) 9 park days. So for us it was worth it.

If you're talking long weekends and 3 day trips (which are more expensive per day) then an AP can be even more worth it as your break even point would be fewer days in total.

Things have changed for BFF and I and now APs are so expensive and there are so many blackouts that it no longer makes sense for either of us.

That's Good to know! I only had an AP in Florida and it was worth it with the hotel discounts. i hear the blockout days are insane in Disneyland! I guess i will have to just see what i am making as a personal trainer when i get to Arizona lol!

I live in AZ. I'm on the southern end of the greater Phoenix area. Without stopping for gas or food, our drive to Disneyland is 6 hours. If you live on the far west side of the Phoenix area (Goodyear, for example), that turns it into a 5 hr, 15 min drive. So it lops off a good 45 min.

Before you decide whether you're going to move to AZ or CA, I highly recommend doing some research. The cost of living in CA is VERY high. A gallon of gas is often about $1 more expensive in CA compared to AZ. State income taxes are significantly higher in CA.

There are creative ways to save $$ on Disneyland trips. Many people in AZ have APs for Disneyland. They end up going on multiple trips a year. AZ AP holders' DL visits are more like those of a WDW AP holder when that person lives outside of Florida...they'll go >1x/year and will stay for a couple to a few days at a time.

You can stay at a less expensive off-site hotel...BW Stovall's or BW Pavilions (both on Katella Ave). You can choose a hotel that includes free breakfast. You bring in your own snacks. Instead of getting soda with every meal, bring your own water bottle and get the free cups of ice water instead. That really adds up after a couple of days. Plus, for your food purchases, you'll be able to use your AP discount, so that helps a little bit.

Also, before you go and buy an AP for Universal, you should go visit Universal in Hollywood first. THEN decide. Universal Orlando is very different than Universal Studios in Hollywood.

Hello everyone! I am moving from good old Canada to Arizona! I was thinking of getting an AP to Universal and Disneyland... is it worth it? (when it reopens) or is it just a waste of money? I want to go to Disney as much as i can and maybe even move to Cali at some point! I just don't want to spend money on nothing!
If you will go to Disney once a month it would be worth it. If you go to Universal 4 times, it will be worth it.

I say, go for it!

I live in AZ. I'm on the southern end of the greater Phoenix area. Without stopping for gas or food, our drive to Disneyland is 6 hours. If you live on the far west side of the Phoenix area (Goodyear, for example), that turns it into a 5 hr, 15 min drive. So it lops off a good 45 min.

Before you decide whether you're going to move to AZ or CA, I highly recommend doing some research. The cost of living in CA is VERY high. A gallon of gas is often about $1 more expensive in CA compared to AZ. State income taxes are significantly higher in CA.

There are creative ways to save $$ on Disneyland trips. Many people in AZ have APs for Disneyland. They end up going on multiple trips a year. AZ AP holders' DL visits are more like those of a WDW AP holder when that person lives outside of Florida...they'll go >1x/year and will stay for a couple to a few days at a time.

You can stay at a less expensive off-site hotel...BW Stovall's or BW Pavilions (both on Katella Ave). You can choose a hotel that includes free breakfast. You bring in your own snacks. Instead of getting soda with every meal, bring your own water bottle and get the free cups of ice water instead. That really adds up after a couple of days. Plus, for your food purchases, you'll be able to use your AP discount, so that helps a little bit.

that's a good point! My family has a place in Arizona so I'll live with them for the first bit till i get my personal training going. They live in Scottsdale

You can make an AP worth it if you are out of state or area, you just have to crunch the numbers. I know a few AP holders from neighboring states (Arizona and Nevada). Some ways they are able to break even and make their passes worth it.

- One family friend owns property in Garden Grove, a city next to Anaheim. So they stay in their house while at the parks.They never spend money on hotels. Plus since the house is close, they can eat there and then return to the park later in the day. So that saves money too. They permanently live in Las Vegas, and are able to drive and not spend money on airfare.

- I know people who have credit cards where they get cash back for spending a certain amount. The money they get back, they put towards their passes, airfare, or lodging, which helps with the overall cost.

Another way is to always be on alert for travel deals when it comes to hotels and flying. It seems most people drive from AZ, but if there are good flight deals, it might be cheaper and faster to fly, especially considering how expensive gas is in CA. For hotels, I would sign up for all the mailing lists for the hotels in the surrounding area so you know of deals.

that's a good point! My family has a place in Arizona so I'll live with them for the first bit till i get my personal training going. They live in Scottsdale
Scottsdale sits towards the east valley, so you would need to go more west to get to California.

It's not terribly east lol. But it's not like Goodyear like someone above posted about which sits way in the west.
Depending on where in Scottsdale they are, it could add significant time to the commute. North Scottsdale vs Scottsdale down near the 202 makes a huge difference. Especially if you're on the 101 in Scottsdale at certain times of day.

Depending on where in Scottsdale they are, it could add significant time to the commute. North Scottsdale vs Scottsdale down near the 202 makes a huge difference. Especially if you're on the 101 in Scottsdale at certain times of day.

Oh that would be a question for my family lol! I will have to ask them! I have only visited them there like 2 times lol! I will check with them!

Gas is kinda expensive haahha! I guess wile i live with my parents would be the best time to go lol
i just hate driving lol. i
That changes my reply. Since gas is too expensive and you hate driving, then an AP for Disney and Universal is not worth it. An annual pass is only worth it if you will use it often. Scottsdale to SoCal is a 12 hour round trip. Not a day trip, is it? So you'll have expensive gas, a hotel AND you hate driving so it seems you won't go very often.

That changes my reply. Since gas is too expensive and you hate driving, then an AP for Disney and Universal is not worth it. An annual pass is only worth it if you will use it often. Scottsdale to SoCal is a 12 hour round trip. Not a day trip, is it? So you'll have expensive gas, a hotel AND you hate driving so it seems you won't go very often.

I don't mind sitting in the car lol! But i don't think i could drive for that long lol. i would get annoyed. hahah

Another AP holder in AZ (west side of the valley), and I would add you can fly into John Wayne Airport, or Long Beach airport if you do not want to drive. Southwest does have pretty good discounts every now and then (Wanna get away).
Instead of Universal, I highly suggest Knotts Berry Farm for an annual pass. Their passes are by calendar year, not the date you start to use them and, if purchased now, are good thru Dec 31, 2021. Knotts is 7 (plus or minus) miles from Disneyland. They turned 100 this year too.
Our last day for our Deluxe APs is tomorrow. There are so many what ifs happening right now, so we put in for refunding the unused portion of our passes instead of adding the days back to them. DH and I were born and raised in So Cals, moved to AZ for jobs back in the early 80s, so it does sting to know tomorrow our passes expire and not knowing if they will sell our type of pass in the future etc.
:flower1:
The drive to and from Disneyland isn't bad, just boring. Saguaros, saguaros, saguaros until Flying Js, fill up gas tank ,use the restrooms and stretch legs, get food from Wendy's cross Colorado River into CA, then Joshua Trees, and lots of traffic that moves quickly most of the time. Grouchy until you see the familiar sites and signs "you are home". Speed limit in AZ is 75, CA is 70.
There are many ways to make your trip not as expensive and enjoyable. You will find many on the boards here.
Welcome in advance to AZ and to this side of the boards.

The drive to and from Disneyland isn't bad, just boring. Saguaros, saguaros, saguaros until Flying Js, fill up gas tank ,use the restrooms and stretch legs, get food from Wendy's cross Colorado River into CA, then Joshua Trees, and lots of traffic that moves quickly most of the time. Grouchy until you see the familiar sites and signs "you are home". Speed limit in AZ is 75, CA is 70.
Don't forget the water elevator! I always look out for that as a break in the monotonous landscape of mountains on the right and desert on the left - it's just so interesting looking.

But, yeah - once you're out of city limits and until you get to Indio, the view is pretty dull (and Blythe is pretty depressing.)

It is always fun to see how many wind turbines are actually turning and generating power so that the AC will work when we get to Anaheim!

As said, it’s a wait and see proposition for AP’s but as to getting there and back, remember there are some interesting places to visit you could stay for a couple of days to break up the drive like Joshua Tree NP, Palm Springs, Big Bear. You could pick one to stop at for longer trips of a week or more and choose to fly for shorter or weekend trips when the flights are within budget.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter