Appetizers for 75 to 100 people that won't break the bank.

Always a hit: chicken nuggets, meatballs of any type, and buffalo chicken dip with crackers or chips. People can eat these things all night and think it was the best party food ever.

What breaks the bank is a subjective number. We have parties all the time. I consider anything less than 1500 to 2000 for food for 75 to 100 people to be cheap. But that doesn’t include alcohol. Wine, beer, proseco, hard liquor, soda, bottled water, etc which can add another $1000 or more depending on what you’re serving. We always tend to have an open bar with liquor and wine and beer set up for serve yourself. Our last party for about 100 people we went through a case of wine, a couple cases of beer and several bottles of vodka/liquor. For an afternoon affair I might still want beer, wine, champagne if not hard liquor although people do love a martini at any time.

OP here,

So I have been sorting through everything, I appreciate all the suggestions and you really helped me get my head in the game. I have a open concept home but total get the point everyone wants to hang out in the kitchen, and I do have a double oven which is amazing when the holiday or celebrations come around.

So here's my sorta rough draft.

Spiral ham - using as sort of the center piece of the table. Turkey breast sliced to go along with it, a basket of king Hawaiian rolls and some other small rolls to give it a mix, and some mustard's and this cranberry mayo stuff that I make.

Antipasti platter - with prosciutto, and some other meats, lots of olives and jardiniere, and homemade garlic herb croutons this little gems are so good.

Cheese platter, since we went to Paris our love of trying new cheese has really expanded... so I thought I would do several types...

Baskets of crackers, and sliced baguette

Also some fresh veggies, not really a veggie platter with everything together, but I do have these long leaf shaped dishes or plates, that are around 3 or 4 inches wide and about 20 to 22 inches long that I have used, like I alternated zucchini and summer squash slices, or broccoli and cauliflower florets, adding in some blue cheese and ranch for dipping.

Spinach and artichoke dip, heated - I would buy the pre-made and doll it up a bit.

I would like something else ... maybe a potato bar or mac and cheese bar - leaning toward mac and cheese- just trying to wrap my brain around how to serve... I was thinking crock pot and bowls, easier to manage....

Kids table - meatballs and dips, corn dog nuggets, baby carrots, and the mac and cheese. ( another reason I'm leaning toward mac and cheese) Juice boxes.

Dessert - Love the idea of holiday rice krispy treats, and holiday cookies.... and some fresh fruit.

Beverages - I would make a drink station, with soda, tea, water, but then we will have some adult beverages - Beer, and this cranberry or berry wine spritzers which I can make up ahead of time, If I could find a decent drink dispenser... that spout doesn't leak I could go that route.

I'm sure this will change some what but at least now I have a jumping off point...

You have a good plan. Lots of great ideas on here as well. I do lots of parties and really like, when space allows, to have separate areas/ stations for the sweets and drinks. That really helps with the flow. Also Costco is a great source for your food.

Regarding the beverage containers leaking; if you find a container you like otherwise, you can purchase new better spout online. I had this problem with a cheapy mason jar type dispenser and ordered a new better one from amazon. I upgraded and spent about $15.00 on a metal part with good reviews, which was more than the price of the dispenser itself. Works like a charm and was easy to swap out.

A mashed potato bar might work too. It would take up much less space than baked potatoes but with all the same yummy toppings. But, it sounds like you have had tons of great suggestions and already have a great game plan!

Meatballs. Very easy recipe.
Put 3/4 of large bag of Italian meatballs into a crock pot add jar of chili sauce, can of sauerkraut (including liquid) and a can of jellied cranberry sauce. Heat on low 6-8 hours.

OP here, could you share your recipe for the dumplings.

Here is one : https://thewoksoflife.com/2013/10/dumpling-recipe-youll-ever-need/

You can substitute Shaoxing wine with any white or rice wine. And for the veggies you can replaced with basically anything green and leafy. I have used frozen spinach (defrost and squeeze out all water). Napa cabbage is a little watery and regular cabbage is a bit too hard. For both, I'd boil in water for a little bit, chop and squeeze out all water. If you use ground beef or chicken, add a little water when you are mixing. For the skin, look for the dumpling wrapper not wonton skin (too soft). And you don't really need to wrap the fancy way. I just seal it with water edge to edge without any crease.

Freeze them on a plate individually so they don't stick to each other. Then transfer to plastic bag for storage.

I also put out a sauce when I'm serving these in parties. Light or dark soy sauce, add a little sugar and sesame oil (and hot sauce if you want) and mix.

I don't cook, so if I say something is easy, it is. Loaves of precut French bread. Put each piece on a baking sheet with goat cheese on it. Bake til its hot, then drizzle with honey. They are delicious

You have a good plan. Lots of great ideas on here as well. I do lots of parties and really like, when space allows, to have separate areas/ stations for the sweets and drinks. That really helps with the flow. Also Costco is a great source for your food.

Regarding the beverage containers leaking; if you find a container you like otherwise, you can purchase new better spout online. I had this problem with a cheapy mason jar type dispenser and ordered a new better one from amazon. I upgraded and spent about $15.00 on a metal part with good reviews, which was more than the price of the dispenser itself. Works like a charm and was easy to swap out.

Wow, Thanks for the tip on the dispenser, I did not even think about switching out the tap.... I had to throw my old one away, it had a chip in the top... I will be out looking for a new one...Thanks a bunch....

I have seen these done only once before, will these hold up, say if I took them for a pot luck meal? they would need to be warmed up, how would they handle it?

I've only served them in my home (not a potluck), but they did hold up well throughout the parties I served them at. I make mine in the mini muffin tins with paper liners, and after the liner is peeled back, the mac and cheese bites hold together beautifully, no fork required. They are always a hit.

I don't cook, so if I say something is easy, it is. Loaves of precut French bread. Put each piece on a baking sheet with goat cheese on it. Bake til its hot, then drizzle with honey. They are delicious

I have had and made one this before... your right really delicious.... I have added, fig jam or preserves, and a bit of very thinly sliced red onion or green onions/scallions on top really good, I have used other jam or preserve flavors...but there is something about the fig and goat cheese that is so darn good together... If you try it let me know if you like it.

I've only served them in my home (not a potluck), but they did hold up well throughout the parties I served them at. I make mine in the mini muffin tins with paper liners, and after the liner is peeled back, the mac and cheese bites hold together beautifully, no fork required. They are always a hit.

I may do a trail run and see what happens... Oh family... I'm going to use you as guinea pigs... I mean I going to make something new 8-)...

I have had and made one this before... your right really delicious.... I have added, fig jam or preserves, and a bit of very thinly sliced red onion or green onions/scallions on top really good, I have used other jam or preserve flavors...but there is something about the fig and goat cheese that is so darn good together... If you try it let me know if you like it.
Now I'm intrigued! Thanks for the suggestion.

What breaks the bank is a subjective number. We have parties all the time. I consider anything less than 1500 to 2000 for food for 75 to 100 people to be cheap. But that doesn’t include alcohol. Wine, beer, proseco, hard liquor, soda, bottled water, etc which can add another $1000 or more depending on what you’re serving. We always tend to have an open bar with liquor and wine and beer set up for serve yourself. Our last party for about 100 people we went through a case of wine, a couple cases of beer and several bottles of vodka/liquor. For an afternoon affair I might still want beer, wine, champagne if not hard liquor although people do love a martini at any time.

Generally on the budget board, the number is less than $1000. I get what you are saying, we've done parties for that many that have run far far more expensive - my husband's 50th was the cost of a very nice Disney trip - and maybe a cruise added on for good measure by the time you added the bar tab - for about 50 people - and we didn't feed anyone dinner - but did have a martini luge. But at that point, you might as well have it catered and not really use words like cheap or budget.

Generally on the budget board, the number is less than $1000. I get what you are saying, we've done parties for that many that have run far far more expensive - my husband's 50th was the cost of a very nice Disney trip - and maybe a cruise added on for good measure by the time you added the bar tab - for about 50 people - and we didn't feed anyone dinner - but did have a martini luge. But at that point, you might as well have it catered and not really use words like cheap or budget.

I had to google martini luge. The first image that came up was an anatomically correct male ice scultpure luge. I can't unsee that!

Cheese, pepperoni, and crackers.
Vegetables with dip in a bread bowl.
Chips and pretzels.
Shrimp cocktail.
Caprese skewers (grape tomatoes, basil, mozorella balls) - there always impress.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!