April 2018 Car Rental Watch

Ah...the product code! Who remembers the whole Brazilian code debacle? There was a code one could put in which apparently drastically reduced the rate, and everyone was always in a panic over 'will they let me use it since I'm not from south america??' I tried it and saw the rate drop by giant amounts of money but chickened out (and there was the ethical factor and all). I think it got too popular and someone closed the loop.

Do you know anything about those codes? Is a physical coupon required? It lowered my rate for a minivan and a full size (we are undecided on car size)

Is that the code for Dollar or ? I can't pinpoint which is dollar, alamo or other codes. thanks anyone

Right now I've got a minivan out of Tampa airport Alamo for $510 for 4/14 - 4/21. I keep looking, but no luck finding cheaper and that's with a teacher discount. It has to be a 6+ seater bc we have 4 adults and 2 kids.

Ah...the product code! Who remembers the whole Brazilian code debacle? There was a code one could put in which apparently drastically reduced the rate, and everyone was always in a panic over 'will they let me use it since I'm not from south america??' I tried it and saw the rate drop by giant amounts of money but chickened out (and there was the ethical factor and all). I think it got too popular and someone closed the loop.

I remember that. We used it and I think also used the $25 coupon so our minivan rental for 10 days was $240-250. They ended up upgrading us to a traverse with no trunk space so that wasn’t much of an upgrade IMO.

For this April I am back to checking daily if I remember. We already have our car booked and it goes up and down. We are paying $960 (I think) for a premium SUV (last April’s snafu spoiled us) for 10 days. I just check the BJs website and it’s over $1000 and DH never added thr $25 coupon when it was in the low $900s.

FTR, it we were doing Disney I would not rent that but we are going to the beach, possibly driving from Ft Myers to west palm and the keys so we need comfort.

Hotwire has $10 off $100+ Hot Rate car rental valid through today (1/24); the code is DRIVE10. I just used it to get a full size car at MCO 4/13-4/21 (8 days) for $197. The rental is from Hertz. It’s not as cheap as I’ve gotten on prior trips, but I’m satisfied with this.

Have you tried National for that one way to the port. When I log into my ea account, I can get a better one way price than Alamo. Around $60. I think you have to use your ea member code. I just checked and it’s $61 for the aisle pickup using biz travel

No, i had given up on National. Will dredge up my old number & give it a while, thanks!

Will open up that Hotwire email & see if works for shorter rental too

N2mm suggested trying national again. Surprised to see I was able grab a low price for 1 day/1 way rental MCO to Cape Canaveral using the AMEX corp code that applies to my credit card* for $37:worship:saving me $70, thank you!

No luck on my upcoming longer rentals thus far.

*Re AMEX corporate code utilized, I am specifically not listing it. You do have to pay with the CC to utilize & there are various codes associated with their different credit cards. Suggest checking which applies to you before booking.

N2mm suggested trying national again. Surprised to see I was able grab a low price for 1 day/1 way rental MCO to Cape Canaveral using the AMEX corp code that applies to my credit card* for $37:worship:saving me $70, thank you!

No luck on my upcoming longer rentals thus far.

*Re AMEX corporate code utilized, I am specifically not listing it. You do have to pay with the CC to utilize & there are various codes associated with their different credit cards. Suggest checking which applies to you before booking.

That’s great news. Even though National doesn’t have the great deals we’re use to, you can generally still get a good one day rental. Glad it worked for you!

I haven't used this (I need a rental beginning 2/26...) but found:

New!Get 10% off at Alamo. Valid on all car classes. 5 day minimum, 27 day maximum rental period. Saturday overnight keep required, subject to availability. Use contract ID 10% OFF PROJECT TIME OFF. Reserve by 2/6/18, valid for travel 3/1/18 – 8/31/18.

I haven't used this (I need a rental beginning 2/26...) but found:

New!Get 10% off at Alamo. Valid on all car classes. 5 day minimum, 27 day maximum rental period. Saturday overnight keep required, subject to availability. Use contract ID 10% OFF PROJECT TIME OFF. Reserve by 2/6/18, valid for travel 3/1/18 – 8/31/18.

10% OFF PROJECT TIME OFF

?

Getting error message on various dates. Anyone have any lucky pricing this out?

Costco rates fell a bit for my week. Just booked a standard car (Jetta or similar) through Budget for April 21-26 for $202.

Thanks for the info, @Redarrow5150. I also got Hertz with this approach, happen to be going that same week.

For anyone else thinking of doing this, it is not cancellable, changeable, or refundable, so once you're done, there's no point in watching the rates anymore. Have a great trip, everyone!

I have an Alamo reservation for a minivan for 9 days for $317 for end of April. I have no idea how I did it, but if I try to recreate it, the price is now $450. I was hoping to downsize to an SUV because things have changed, but I can't come close to that price. Do you think they would downgrade me on check in or should I just be happy with the van?

I have an Alamo reservation for a minivan for 9 days for $317 for end of April. I have no idea how I did it, but if I try to recreate it, the price is now $450. I was hoping to downsize to an SUV because things have changed, but I can't come close to that price. Do you think they would downgrade me on check in or should I just be happy with the van?

You can downsize when you get there I believe. We sometimes downgrade from a full size to a mid size depending on what cars are in the aisle. We have never had any issues.

Costco rates fell a bit for my week. Just booked a standard car (Jetta or similar) through Budget for April 21-26 for $202.
Mine fell again today, this time to $178. I feel much better now that there's a 1 at the front of that price. :rotfl2:

I just booked via Costco for 4/13-4/17 for USD 158 taxes in. We decided we didn't need a car for our full week. DH thinks he's going to upgrade to a truck while we are there... It's on his CC so I say fill your boots if there's one there lol.

I just switched from Alamo to Hertz and saved a ton. We are now renting locally and driving to FL and back, 10 days with an SUV for $195. I was very surprised that our local Hertz was less expensive than the airport, and that AAA was less expensive than the military leisure rate! I'm still considering Spirit airlines but so many add ons, I think this may be the way to go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter