Are 10-11 year olds bored at Disney, especially after Universal?

P

pnelson

Next year, we will be including Universal in our trip. Our son will be 10 and I am wondering if he will favor Universal now that he has discovered roller coasters. Does Disney bore that age group after seeing Universal? What about the characters?

Its going to depend on the kid.

Some are going to love Disney regardless - and recognize that it isn't a thrill park like Universal. Others would just rather spend the day at Universal.

Some will always enjoy Mickey - sometimes more at 10 than at 4. Some are going to get to the age where "its a guy in a costume, Mom."

Our kids are still little, but when they get to that age, we are planning on spending less time at MK - probably at the beginning of the trip for a morning - and more at Universal and the water parks.

Well, my DS is 10 and we returned from our last trip about 9 months ago. He was never board the entire trip. We have not yet done Universal, but we have a big local park that has all the big coasters and he does them all but is quite happy at WDW. He is very close to prefering Epcot over MK, but truely loves all the parks. His least favorite is MGM, though he loves R&R and likes TOT.
He was fine with the characters last trip, but didn't get too excited about them. He did not want to do the autograph book, though my nephew(9) did. We did several character meals and he did enjoy all but CP.That was more for me anyway. He likes breakfastsarus at AK, and has asked to do that one again on our next trip. He will be 11 by then and has asked for different type resturants. He wants to do Prime time, Rainforest cafe(one of his favorites) and California Grill.I find away from thier school buddies where they don't have to be "cool" boys this age will relax and have a ball being a kid. I love this age kid.Have a blast.

Jordan's mom

hehehehe even if DH and I get alot more eyerolls :rolleyes: now that they are older(last year Dh and I wore Christmas hats EVERYDAY mine was minie his was pooh! :p ) They still love it!! My oldest Ds (10)is a thrill ride freak...but Disney is still his fave because of the variety. Dd (12)is a bit of a fraidy cat when it comes to some thrill rides and so that is not an issue..however she is getting a little eye rollish when I want her pic with a character!
We skipped the autograph book at her request but then SHE went and bought a Pluto with a strap (with her $$) to have characters sign...go figure!

My 13 DS loves universal, but he still enjoys WDW a lot too. He still loves shopping at World showcase (spent all his money there), spending time looking around AK etc. He will even put up with the character meals because he loves the food (he still request Donalds breakfastosaurus).

I cant wait to find out in December. We are spliting the stay between Disney and Universal. Last trip was Universal only. My 5 year old is more excited about Disney and my 9 year old cant wait to get to Universal.

I'm curious how they will feel about the characters at both parks too! Both my kids seem to be drawn more to the superheros and the Nickelodeon characters.

Good post!

We've never been to Universal, but we do go to Busch Gardens in Williamsburg which has AWESOME roller coasters (much better than the coasters at WDW.) My 11yo DS is a roller coaster fanatic, but he still LOVES WDW. He could happily spend all day just doing the thrill rides, but he enjoys the rest, too.

I can't honestly compare how my 10 yr. old would react since he hasn't been to Universal, but my gut feeling is that Disney would still be his pick. Our kids are 10, 8, and 4, and we feel WDW has so much more to offer our group, that we're waiting until 2004 to take them to Universal. My dh and I have been there. If thrill rides are the 10 yr. old's only love, he would probably enjoy Rock-n-Roller Coaster, TOT, Star Tours, Space Mtn, Splash Mtn, Big Thunder Mtn Railroad, Test Track, Kali River Rapids, and Dinosaur. I suspect there would be more there that he would like and have a hard time imagining any of my son's peers not loving WDW.

We've gone several times starting when DS when only 7 years old. He'll be 20 next month. It's actually been fun, because each trip there seems to be something different there for him. About age 10 or 11 the character autographs got old. Epcot & MGM get more attractive. I think his favorite is Epcot - the new technology can keep him busy for hours. About age 16 he really got interested in the countries around World Showcase - I've cooled my heels for over an hour while he inspected darn near everything in the stores and pavilion at China.

I think WDW is sort of like an onion - you peel out a new layer every time you go and this is particularly true of kids who are changing as they mature. Since about the time DS was 16, I have asked him each year if he wanted to skip the family vacation at WDW (we are DVC, so go every year). He looks at me like I'm crazy. By the way, he is not a wierdo, but rather considered one of the "cool" kids. Don't worry, your son is not too old to have a good time.

I've done both with my children (11 and 7). Disney is always the favorite, Universal is brought up occasionally. They like both resorts, but for different reasons. We have treated each as a separtate resort as well. 5 days onsite at Universal's PBH, and resort as well as DVC stays at Disney for multiple days. It is one of those things that they enjoy for different reasons. :D

take the boys to Disney Quest and they won't want to leave the Disney property. I have older kids and they loved universal but it didn't take anything away from Disney. They were able to enjoy both for what they are. Here are a few things we did that they enjoyed. In Epcot we ate around the lands. I let them choose food from every country. Most of the time it was sweets but we ate a large lunch in the lands so I didn't mind. They also enjoyed the penny presses. We bought the book and collected pennies everywhere. They even had this at IOA. I did save IOA for the end of our trip because I was worried the big rides would take away from Disney. The only time they did compare the two parks was to point out how the CM at disney were so much more helpful and happier. Go have a great time, they will love both!

It really depends on the child. My boys are 10 and 12. We have included US/IOA in every trip except Dec vacations for the last 7 years. Only recently have I heard things like, US/IOA is more fun. They love the coasters at IOA but find US boring. However, this Dec we are only doing Disney and they are just fine. We have cutback going to DIsney in the last 2 years, only going once a year. They actually miss it!!!

My twins just turned 9, and I am so afraid they will not enjoy WDW as they get older. This upcoming trip my DD is bringing 4 of her costumes to dress up, and when I mentioned this might be our last trip to the world they both looked at me like I had lost my mind. I know my DS won't get autographs this trip, but he LOVES all of the parades and fireworks. He is very moved by them, and gets teary when I play my Illuminations CD.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter