Are the Busses at Disney That Bad.,,

Hi All,
I’m staying at the Dolphin for 6 nights at the end of Oct and beginning of Nov. I’m thinking about saving money by not renting a car. Also, I’m 52 and haven’t used bus transportation since my late 29s. So, my question is.....Is the bus transportation at Disney really that bad?
Thanks in advance for your opinions.

No. There are times when it seems they're taking forever because we are tired and our feet hurt, BUT I can't tell you how nice it was to rely on others to get our family places. Half the fighting on a trip is my husband and I arguing over directions. It does take a bit longer, but I am converted and even with our huge amount of crap (double stroller, diaper and park bags, water bottles) the bus was still so nice. Be aware that sometimes it is standing room only and the younguns don't always give up their seat for older people anymore.

I sometimes wonder if I’m in a parallel universe with some of these responses. We have been to WDW ten times staying in deluxe, moderate and value resorts, and we’ve never had an issue with the buses. Our past trip during Christmas, of all times, we never waited longer than five minutes. And 99% if the time we’ve only encountered nice and well mannered families. Maybe sometimes if you go into situations with a negative attitude than that’s what you experience.
I don't think it's my attitude that creates the perception. On the contrary. It has been the attitudes of a growing number of inconsiderate people that has created my opinion. With 50+ trips logged since 1988, I can definitely see a tremendous change in the way people treat others. And it has not been for the better.

Have not rented a car in our last 15 trips and don't plan to. Between the busses, the monorail, and the boats we do just fine. Like saving the money and avoiding the hassel. Also like that I can enjoy drinks at dinner or F&W festival and not worry about driving. Yeah you have to wait some times and at certain times they are crowded but fo me it is all part of the experience.

Disclaimer: This is my wife and I and based on our touring preferences. Learned long ago that everyone is different when it comes to WDW so you know you better than anyone else and you need to make your own decisions.

At the Swan/Dolphin, boat/walk to 2 parks, Uber/bus the others.

After spending days in Great Britain, my thoughts on Disney buses are even worse than before. We ubered from OKW to MK for a Halloween Party last Oct due to a bus that never showed up. Had planned on entry between 6:30-6:45, it was 7:45 before we even saw the castle-not happy at all. Have had 30+ minute waits more than once, and was even taken to the wrong resort as we were at the correct stop, the bus went into the wrong one and took several families to the completely wrong resort. The driver said he could no nothing to help us out (4 families/approx 20 folks, 1 in a wheelchair)-we Ubered to our resort from there too.

We can Uber around 10 trips to equal what it takes to rent a car. We also have less hassle. If we're close and the bus time looks OK, we'll take it. Otherwise I hit the app and get the ride. Surprised at how Disney can make everything like clockwork, but their bus system is atrocious.

At the Swan/Dolphin, boat/walk to 2 parks, Uber/bus the others.

We can Uber around 10 trips to equal what it takes to rent a car. We also have less hassle. If we're close and the bus time looks OK, we'll take it. Otherwise I hit the app and get the ride. Surprised at how Disney can make everything like clockwork, but their bus system is atrocious.

I have no inherent data to prove it but feel like due the increasing number of private vehicles, taxi's, Uber's, Minnie Vans and the seemingly never ending road construction combined with the construction areas for the new gondola transit system effecting the front of HS that keeping bus schedules could be very problematic.

It really depends. I personally loathe the Disney bus transportation, but that is because I have had some pretty horrendous luck with the buses. I’m talking multiple 30-45 minute waits for buses to show up across numerous trips at all different parks and resorts across all times of the day. There was one trip where we had a wait like that every single day at least once trying to get somewhere. I was ready to rip my hair out and we just started Ubering instead.

We also have spectacular timing where we regularly go to get on the bus after waiting for a while (20+ min) only for there to be a shift change and we’re waiting another 10 minutes or so. Again, this has happened numerous times across numerous trips at different locations. The only resort we have never had a bus issue getting to or from parks is AKL.

I always rent a car now unless we’re staying at AKL. I much rather walk to the back of the parking lot and know I’m leaving as soon as I reach my vehicle than waiting for all eternity for the bus.

I know everyone has different experiences, and ours really are the outliers. We just have horrible luck with the Disney buses.

I work in the agricultural industry. When the park closes, the buses feel just like moving and loading cattle. I don't mind the buses during the morning or afternoon but I can not stand them when leaving the parks. The ECVs need to have their own bus. The loading takes forever and many times you see several (sometimes a lot!) family members load with them (they all get on first) and parents of young children, holding 1 or 2 kids (who are tired, asleep, sweaty, cranky) standing in line forever and will not be able to load. We had enough of it and now we always drive. We usually take the boat to MK from Fort Wilderness and drive to the other 3 parks.

I like not having to drive in an unfamiliar place. I like not having to find a parking spot, and remember where I parked. I prefer to be chauffeured around Disney World. I like not having to pay for a rental car, gas and parkingtoo.

We love the buses/ boats at Disney. We are on vacation and not in a hurry to get anywhere.

Dh drives 45 minutes each way for work and is so glad to stay in the bubble and leave the driving to someone else.

We have an 8 to 11 hour drive to Disney from home, and are glad to be out of our automobilefor the duration of our stay.

Just plan around needing extra time to wait on the bus to and from your resort and the parks.
This is us as well. We drive 7 hrs and the only time we use our van is to visit another resort. Just my observation, but a lot of people that complain about the buses seem to be the ones that really have never used public transportation. Like your family, we are there to relax and enjoy ourselves and one of the ways is not driving while there. If the bus is standing room only and we do not feel like standing, we will move over and wait for the next bus. I do agree about the lazy parents that have their stroller blocking the middle of the isle. When I have my stroller I always head straight to the back doors and stand and if I (an old parent and out of shape) can stand for a bus ride so can the majority of the younger dads (and I am not talking about any who may have health issues.

Just don't make the mistake of trying to get on the first bus back to your resort after a busy night at the park. Usually if you hang back 20-30 minutes after the mad rush to leave the park you get a bus that's not crowded. It always amazes me how nutty people get to catch that first bus back to the resort..like you'll be trapped or something. Best time to enjoy the parks is after everybody leaves..very peaceful.

Just my observation, but a lot of people that complain about the buses seem to be the ones that really have never used public transportation.

I guess that is why I won't ride the Disney buses. After riding the buses in Seattle the Disney buses seem very slow by comparison. No accurate real time arrival info. No GPS tracking so you can see where each bus is. No Bus Only lanes so they don't get caught in congestion. The buses here come by every 5 to 10 minutes during busy periods. Plus they are building a subway system so we will be able to get downtown in 12 minutes when it opens in 2020. Of course Disney can't afford the $100 billion they are spending here to expand the transit system.

I think the MK busses are the ones that really become a zoo.
I think the MK buses are the most necessary, aka most efficient method for most guests to get to/from MK.
I also think you can get a rental car delivered to Swan/Dolphin if you really think you need one, once you are there.

Took forever to load wheelchairs.
Delivered? Probably not. Rent a car at the Dolphin or use rental agency transportation to get one? Sure.
Took a loooong time to go from one resort to the rest. This is what I'm not used to.

Again, if you avoid staying at values (where teen tour groups & cheerleading groups tend to stay),
Unlikely but not entirely impossible at the time the OP is visiting.
Surprised at how Disney can make everything like clockwork, but their bus system is atrocious.
Motor vehicles are subject to outside influences.
but I can not stand them when leaving the parks. The ECVs need to have their own bus. The loading takes forever
If loading ECVs took forever, you would still be waiting in line for the very first bus you ever encountered which had a passenger in a wheelchair or ECV. Mobility devices having their own bus(es) has been discussed; it woukd be inefficient and discriminatory - and woukd remove numerous buses from standard operation.
Plus they are building a subway system so we will be able to get downtown in 12 minutes when it opens in 2020. Of course Disney can't afford the $100 billion they are spending here to expand the transit system.
Disney cant build a subway system because it does not have the base. Unless you think constant flooding is preferable to buses?

This is one of those things that is completely subjective. Personally I don't mind the buses, the only place I've ever ridden a bus is WDW. It's oddly comforting in a way, the sound of the engine, the smell of diesel makes me a little nostalgic. My wife on the other hand absolutely hates the buses. I do find the ECV's annoying.

Not bad, but, they add at least a few hours to your day and that is doubled when you are tired

Agree with an earlier comment about busses to MK. Even the times (long ago) that we drove or had a rent car, I would always take the bus to MK. No way I want to ever take the monorail or boat in from the parking lot. I would have to imagine that at busy times (early and late) you can wait for several busses and get back to your resort quicker than the parking route.

Got back from 8 days at WDW at the beginning of this month - was very happy with the buses - worked really well except one morning from Swan to AK - the bus kept getting later and later on the screen at the bus stop, after the time had been pushed back 25 mins, we just grabbed a Lyft - was at AK for park opening and had ridden FOP before 9am. Other than that - think our average wait time for a bus was less than 10 mins.

"Rope drop to close" person - buses can be frustrating, make you late for rope drop and be a headache at park closing. For "Late start, early departure" people buses can work out very well. If you like to leave the park in the afternoon and come back later, you could be waiting a while for a bus back to your resort as there are fewer buses during the day. Cars also make resort to resort travel for dining much easier.

I used to take the buses, but I had a few bad experiences in the past and I decided they don't fit my touring style. It's worth every penny to me to not stand and wait for buses, and then stand on the bus hanging on to a bar getting jostled around. My poor feet couldn't take it anymore, and I felt like I was wasting a lot of time waiting. In the car I sit in my cushy seat, blast the A/C, turn on my Disney tunes and it's the best ride in town. I will say that GPS isn't perfect when it comes to Disney property directions, so sometimes you do have to do a bit of thinking instead of turning wherever Siri tells you to turn. :D

I was traveling with friends in May that sleep in. They did not have good bus experiences. Every day when they met me at the parks they had a bus experience story to tell. They were so happy at the end of the night that they didn't have to wait in line for a bus because I had a car. You still have to wait in line for a tram/ferry sometimes, especially at MK, but for most of the parks I get there so early in the morning that at night it's a quick walk to my car that's only 1/2 way down the first parking isle.

I totally understand the points for taking the bus though - They're free and easy, and if they work for you, that's great!

We are both in our mid 60's and have used the buses for 22 years. Never had any problems with buses. We occasionally drive to the theme parks and resorts, but never to the MK. We always take the bus to the MK. It's quicker, more convenient than driving.

The buses run about every 15-20 minutes so the wait is usually not long. We are your age. We just leave before there's a big rush (after fireworks or parades) or hang around and get a coffee during the mass exodus. Like others have said..... we love not driving and trying to navigate those roads. We let "the professionals" worry about that while we relax. We NEVER rent a car.

stayed at Dolphin many times,and I like the buses just fine.
I have also been on busses where a random guest is the one that starts the sing along.
:scared: I remember one memorable bus ride where a guest who had WAY too much to drink sang,and sang and sang.... quite the chorus leader..... I was glad to get off that bus but it was memorable!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter