Are the Busses at Disney That Bad.,,

I've never rented a car when at Disney after the first trip. Why waste all that money when the Disney transportation is pretty good and even takes you to/from the airport for free. I can see maybe renting one for a day from Enterprise which will pick you up at Disney to go to Universal/Seaworld etc. but other than that I'd rather spend that money on something else.

WDW is one of the only places in the world that I can think of that successfully sells the option of riding a bus for an hour or two a day as some kind of perk.

I used to time my travel from room to turnstile by Disney bus and by car. Wife thot I was nuts but I did it for years. We stayed in values, moderates and deluxes. The differences could be huge and pretty much never in favour of the bus. Just being somewhere where you could park close to your room made a huge difference. Across all the different resorts we stayed at car averaged about 20-30 minutes. Bus 40-60.

WDW is one of the only places in the world that I can think of that successfully sells the option of riding a bus for an hour or two a day as some kind of perk.
Yeah. Most public transportation charges discretely for it, sometimes upwards of $5 per ride

Yes. No. And everything in-between. You'll never get a definitive answer to this question here, but here's my two cents. No, the busses are not that bad. We've been going and staying on property since 2006 and have never rented a car. We do typically stay at The CR so we also have the option to walk to the MK and monorail to EPCOT, so we only rely on the busses for AK, DHS and DS. You'll be able to walk or bus to two parks so if I were you, I would save my money and take the busses.

I've never rented a car when at Disney after the first trip. Why waste all that money when the Disney transportation is pretty good and even takes you to/from the airport for free. I can see maybe renting one for a day from Enterprise which will pick you up at Disney to go to Universal/Seaworld etc. but other than that I'd rather spend that money on something else.
I don't consider it to be a waste of money. I view it as a timesaver. And in Disney, time is money. So while you may prefer to spend the money on something else, I prefer the ease of driving to an ADR at another resort or in Disney Springs rather than relying on Disney transportation that may take upwards of 90 minutes for me to reach my destination.

I don't know that 'bad' is a word I'd use, but for my family, staying off-site and renting a car is generally less expensive, a better value and preferred all around for convenience. I did one trip with a small child and the buses, and vowed never again. If I were going for an adult only trip, I might reconsider. But I'm very budget conscious and in the end the price of a moderate or deluxe (which is what I'd want for an adult trip) would likely steer me back to a luxurious room elsewhere and a rental car. The only big IF would be no kids AND if I wanted to drink on the regular, which I don't generally. But for adults that do, dealing with the cons of the buses is worth it for safety, I think.

I don't consider it to be a waste of money. I view it as a timesaver. And in Disney, time is money. So while you may prefer to spend the money on something else, I prefer the ease of driving to an ADR at another resort or in Disney Springs rather than relying on Disney transportation that may take upwards of 90 minutes for me to reach my destination.
I'm happy you have money to burn for ease of getting to an ADR or Disney Springs, more power to you, to each their own. I can walk to the Springs as I have DVC at SSR and plan enough time to get where I need to with Disney transportation, then I can use that extra money for whatever I want such as dropping a hundred dollars I would have spent on a car for a TIW card and then get 20% off drinks everywhere and most resturants, as well as calling a minnie mouse car to take me somewhere like an ADR, and still have money left!!

I'm happy you have money to burn for ease of getting to an ADR or Disney Springs, more power to you, to each their own. I can walk to the Springs as I have DVC at SSR and plan enough time to get where I need to with Disney transportation, then I can use that extra money for whatever I want such as dropping a hundred dollars I would have spent on a car for a TIW card and then get 20% off drinks everywhere and most resturants, as well as calling a minnie mouse car to take me somewhere like an ADR, and still have money left!!
I don't judge people on how they choose to spend their money. I save all year so that I do "have money to burn" while on vacation. So, while you are cutting your time in the parks short so that you can share mass transportation getting up close and personal with 150 of your newest Disney friends, I'll be using that time to enjoy a few more attractions or shows before taking my car directly to wherever I plan to go next.

I also own DVC. I manage to walk from my home resort to 2 parks and any Epcot area restaurant with no need to call for an overpriced Minnie Van. I get free car rental using credit card points and park the darn thing without having to pay the nightly fee because of DVC. And I still have money in my pocket to buy a TiW card so that when I do take my car to another resort for an ADR, I valet it for free.

My money, my choices. Your money, your choices. Just because I don't subscribe to your way of thinking, that does not make me wrong.

I don't judge people on how they choose to spend their money. I save all year so that I do "have money to burn" while on vacation. So, while you are cutting your time in the parks short so that you can share mass transportation getting up close and personal with 150 of your newest Disney friends, I'll be using that time to enjoy a few more attractions or shows before taking my car directly to wherever I plan to go next.

I also own DVC. I manage to walk from my home resort to 2 parks and any Epcot area restaurant with no need to call for an overpriced Minnie Van. I get free car rental using credit card points and park the darn thing without having to pay the nightly fee because of DVC. And I still have money in my pocket to buy a TiW card so that when I do take my car to another resort for an ADR, I valet it for free.

My money, my choices. Your money, your choices. Just because I don't subscribe to your way of thinking, that does not make me wrong.
I'm sorry did I say you were wrong? No....Thanks for playing have a nice day lmao!!

heh Did I just read a quip about somebody having money to burn from a DVC owner?

We are truly deep into the Disney bubble. ;)

Yeah. Most public transportation charges discretely for it, sometimes upwards of $5 per ride

Yeah, that’s what makes it seem like such a deal. Disney excels at creating problems and then selling you the solution. The busses are a prime example.

And I get it; some people really don’t like driving while on vacation. And thats a legit concern. But Imho once you get past that issue the busses don’t actually offer much value.

How the buses are depends on the crowds and traffic. Usually you won't wait long for a bus to arrive, but if there is some sort of hang-up with traffic, you might have to wait. Park closing time (after fireworks) is probably the worst time for buses because everyone is leaving at the same time. Unless you're at the head of the pack, it's very likely you'll have to wait for a second or third bus to come before you even get to head back to the resort, and that bus will probably be standing room only which isn't a lot of fun late at night with a bunch of other tired (and sometimes grumpy) people.

That said...I'd rather be dead-on-my-feet tired on a packed bus heading back to the Dolphin after a great night at MK or AK than driving to work :)

You'll have the ability to walk or boat to HS and Epcot, so AK and MK would be your only bus rides. And technically, at least during Epcot's operating hours, if you have hoppers you could walk through Epcot and catch the monorail to MK, though that would take more time and effort than just getting on the bus to MK.

Now, when the buses aren't cram-packed and you can get a seat, I think they're kind of pleasant. :)

We drive so we always have our own vehicle but we never use it once we arrive. (The only exception is "moving day" when we do a split stay.) We have never had any issues with Disney transportation. For us, it is part of the experience. Maybe we are weird, but spending 20 minutes on a silent, air-conditioned bus mid-afternoon is a relaxing break. Much more appealing than making our way to the parking lot, getting into a sweltering car, trying to navigate back to our resort, looking for a parking spot, etc.

My parents accompanied us one trip a few years back and they drove themselves to/from the parks a few times. It may be purely coincidence and not the norm, but the two or three times we left the park at the same time (us using the bus) we arrived back at the resort before they did. So at least sometimes driving is not the quicker option.

Depends what you mean by "bad". When they are pack jammed with people, parents that don't put small children on their lap, Strollers, etc in the aisle, drunks from F&W....then yes, to me that would be bad. I have experienced all that and worse.
I so agree with this description...it seems to come from a "I'm at Disney, I get to do what I want" entitled attitude and manners no longer exist. I have witnessed pregnant women holding a toddler and no one offers a seat (my 62 year old husband always is the first to offer), a parent (who was seated) start an argument over a stroller with a man who was standing trying to hold onto it the best he could, and crowded in so closely you can't even move.

On our previous trip (Our first one to be exact), we used the busses for everything. Three of my family members were in ECVs, me included. I would allow the other two to go which would often put me waiting 30+ minutes for the next bus. On multiple occasions, the CM would call for a secondary bus to come by and pick me and my little brother up from the stops. They went out of their way to get us, and they didn't have to. I told them I understood I'd be waiting, it was just easier for me to do the waiting than my anxious, disabled grandmother and my mother. We had a bus driver we became friends with who went out of his way to help us.

I won't rent a car when I go. I'd rather stay in the bubble, to be honest. It's easier. Yeah, it gets crowded, but it's disney world. Everything is crowded. I think the buses are worth it.

One
Size
Does
Not
Fit
All

Sheesh, people. Just because somebody has a different opinion than you doesn't either one of you is more right or wrong.

Now, is paying the extra money to rely on the monorail as transportation? Now THAT is clearly not worth it, and if you think so, you need to be checked by a doctor! :rotfl2:

Yeah, that’s what makes it seem like such a deal. Disney excels at creating problems and then selling you the solution. The busses are a prime example.

And I get it; some people really don’t like driving while on vacation. And thats a legit concern. But Imho once you get past that issue the busses don’t actually offer much value.

Could not have said it better.

I much prefer having a rental car. But my last trip, it wasn't in the budget. I just got up earlier to make sure I caught a bus and would stay later to late the crowds go down so it wasn't as much of a cattle call at the bus depots.

I'm going next week again and not having a rental car. I plan on doing the same thing but I may attempt to take a lyft to DHS the morning of the AP Preview that I have booked. We shall see - I've tried Uber and it's failed me every time (not shown up!) so I'm leary of trying lyft.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter