Are you Zoom-ing?

I've been using GoToMeeting for work for years but the kids teachers have been using Zoom to set up video meetings.

Unfortunately some school districts around here are going to stop using it because there is a big issue with meetings getting hacked into.

Just yesterday my daughter had a meeting with 30 other students and her band teachers, and suddenly some lady popped in there and started talking about essential oils and then cursing. The teacher couldn't figure out how to get rid of her but she did at least get her on mute. But now districts are going to need to figure out an alternative.

Yep! My daughter’s teachers are using Google Meet because people have been hacking into the Zoom meetings and sending inappropriate pictures and messages to children. :(

It’s amazing how proficient I’ve become with technology in the past two weeks. I teach 4th grade, so I’ve had to learn to do Google classroom, SeeSaw, Flipgrid, Zoom, and Google Chat. So far I’m doing pretty well!...

Me too! Not only have I signed up for Zoom and used it yesterday, but I've also created a YouTube channel. I never thought I would consider myself "techy".

I miss my parents and siblings terribly, so I’d like to arrange for a Zoom meeting for them. I’m just not sure if my mom can do it without me standing next to her. She’s terrified of technology.

Try sending her this tutorial:
Zoom Tutorial

I found it for a friend who needed to get her mom on. The lady who explains it is, um, "not a teenager" herself, and she does it in a way that seems comfortable for someone who didn't grow up with this technology.

After your mom watches it, you should send her an invite to a Zoom meeting, as that's how the video walks you through joining.

Last edited:
I’m attending a virtual Happy Hour on Zoom today. I was supposed to travel to KC to visit my friends in 2 weeks, so it’s nice that I’ll still get to have drinks with them from Oregon

We do Zoom meetings with clients, but use google hangouts for our inter-office meetings and daily check-ins. It's interesting to see everyone's home workspace, pets, family members, etc., and to see everyone dressed more casually.

We have a large contract with Cisco for their WebEx platform. I struggle daily with other departments or faculty who all want me to reimburse them for their Zoom subscription that they obviously heard someone else was using, so they 'needed' it as well. :headache:

We use Webex. I cover the camera on my work computer. I've been working from home going on 3 weeks. I haven't put on makeup or fixed my hair since. No one needs to see this.

I've been using GoToMeeting for work for years but the kids teachers have been using Zoom to set up video meetings.

Unfortunately some school districts around here are going to stop using it because there is a big issue with meetings getting hacked into.

Just yesterday my daughter had a meeting with 30 other students and her band teachers, and suddenly some lady popped in there and started talking about essential oils and then cursing. The teacher couldn't figure out how to get rid of her but she did at least get her on mute. But now districts are going to need to figure out an alternative.
That could be an issue since the only thing needed to enter a meeting is the meeting code and the Zoom application on whatever device. I guess it’s possible to randomly guess the meeting code since it’s just a number.

I do remember another time when I used BlueJeans. There’s probably over a dozen major online meeting platforms as well as several ways to make video calls.

I'm on Zoom all day. I'm in a support position for teachers and students and I attend planning meetings for every team at 2 schools plus our special education meetings and administrative meetings. I've learned it's OK to turn off my video and listen if I need to get some coffee or do the dishes lol.

I've also done Zoom HH with my friends. And my 78 year old mom Zooms with her 4 friends every day!

No, and thankfully DH has been using a more secure video conferencing tool through work for years.

We often use both Skype and Zoom at work. While working from home I’m using Zoom. Had a meeting with WebEx and didn’t care for it.

I've been using Zoom. Works pretty good for the amount of increased traffic it has gotten in such a short amount of time, but still glitches out every once in a while.

Me too! Not only have I signed up for Zoom and used it yesterday, but I've also created a YouTube channel. I never thought I would consider myself "techy".

Try sending her this tutorial:
Zoom Tutorial

I found it for a friend who needed to get her mom on. The lady who explains it is, um, "not a teenager" herself, and she does it in a way that seems comfortable for someone who didn't grow up with this technology.

After your mom watches it, you should send her an invite to a Zoom meeting, as that's how the video walks you through joining.
This is awesome, thank you so much!

Try it with your parents. I am 67 and have learned this without my kids help. In fact, they were amazed I had used it for a church meeting and for WW. It is fairly simple. There are people older than me on WW. When DS heard I was Zooming, he has set up two family chats and I had a happy hour with folks I met here on the DIS.

Hoping to be part of a zoom choir for this Sunday. We'll see if we can pull it together. We all have to zoom with headphones and tape ourselves on a separate device. A lot of us aren't tech savvy, so I'm hoping enough of us can submit a video to make it work!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!