Argh, what's up with Southwest (August flights)

mamamelody2

DIS Veteran
So I have flights through Southwest for our August 6-15 WDW trip. I check daily to see if prices went down. Checked yesterday evening and it now says there are no flights on the 6th. There is only one available on the 15th, and it's not the one we booked. Just checked again and it still says that 24 hours later. I have gotten no emails regarding a change in my flights. If I look up the reservation it still shows.

If I search the low fare calendar instead of flights daily like usual, they only have flights out on August 1, 2, 8, 9, 11-14, 17-21, 24-28, and 31. If there were none at all in August I would figure they're just working on updating schedules, but with flights on some days, but not others, I don't know.

What do you think? Glitch? They're going to change flight schedules, but have only partially done it so far?? Obviously I'm not going to call now as they are asking only people with flights in the next few days call. Ugh, this is adding to my anxiety, although of course I realize it's not terribly important in relation to what is going on right now.

So I have flights through Southwest for our August 6-15 WDW trip. I check daily to see if prices went down. Checked yesterday evening and it now says there are no flights on the 6th. There is only one available on the 15th, and it's not the one we booked. Just checked again and it still says that 24 hours later. I have gotten no emails regarding a change in my flights. If I look up the reservation it still shows.

If I search the low fare calendar instead of flights daily like usual, they only have flights out on August 1, 2, 8, 9, 11-14, 17-21, 24-28, and 31. If there were none at all in August I would figure they're just working on updating schedules, but with flights on some days, but not others, I don't know.

What do you think? Glitch? They're going to change flight schedules, but have only partially done it so far?? Obviously I'm not going to call now as they are asking only people with flights in the next few days call. Ugh, this is adding to my anxiety, although of course I realize it's not terribly important in relation to what is going on right now.

Try messaging on social media- Facebook messenger or Twitter. I did the other night and got quick response.

I also have a flight booked in August. Right now they are only showing a couple of flights on the weekend. Really weird flight times too.

Southwest is in the process of trying to cancel 1000 daily flights to more closely match current passenger volumes. They announced this on Friday.

I don't have any special knowledge or details, but based on how they have handled the Max80 situation over the past year, here's what I think is happening - I could well be wrong.
What we're seeing is the beginning of their process to identify potential flights they can eliminate from the schedule (that 1000 flights btw is about 25% of the total). With the Max 80 they've done this as well, just not on this scale. Flights that I had booked suddenly are no longer on the schedule - meaning no more seats on those flights will be sold. With the Max 80, this happened to me 5 times. In each case, if I looked at my reservation on the app, there was a notice in red at the top telling me that I could change my flight at no additional cost. None of those flights indicated that my flight had been canceled, only that it was possible that it could be. In 4 of the 5 cases, the original flight was not canceled, and showed back up on the schedule about 2-3 weeks later. For the one flight that was canceled, I received an email specifically telling me it had been canceled and that I had been rebooked. I was also given the opportunity to change that rebooked flight if it didn't work for me.

I have a May flight and I'm seeing the same thing you're seeing; a drastic reduction in the number of flights available, and my flight is not among them. I'm also seeing that same notice in red when I bring up my flight in the app.

As difficult as it was/is for SW to remove 24 aircraft from the schedule, this had got to be a monumental effort. And it's going to take some time to get it all worked out.

Be patient. They'll get it sorted out eventually.

Steve

Southwest is in the process of trying to cancel 1000 daily flights to more closely match current passenger volumes. They announced this on Friday.

I don't have any special knowledge or details, but based on how they have handled the Max80 situation over the past year, here's what I think is happening - I could well be wrong.
What we're seeing is the beginning of their process to identify potential flights they can eliminate from the schedule (that 1000 flights btw is about 25% of the total). With the Max 80 they've done this as well, just not on this scale. Flights that I had booked suddenly are no longer on the schedule - meaning no more seats on those flights will be sold. With the Max 80, this happened to me 5 times. In each case, if I looked at my reservation on the app, there was a notice in red at the top telling me that I could change my flight at no additional cost. None of those flights indicated that my flight had been canceled, only that it was possible that it could be. In 4 of the 5 cases, the original flight was not canceled, and showed back up on the schedule about 2-3 weeks later. For the one flight that was canceled, I received an email specifically telling me it had been canceled and that I had been rebooked. I was also given the opportunity to change that rebooked flight if it didn't work for me.

I have a May flight and I'm seeing the same thing you're seeing; a drastic reduction in the number of flights available, and my flight is not among them. I'm also seeing that same notice in red when I bring up my flight in the app.

As difficult as it was/is for SW to remove 24 aircraft from the schedule, this had got to be a monumental effort. And it's going to take some time to get it all worked out.

Be patient. They'll get it sorted out eventually.

Steve
This goes out all the way to October [10/21 - 10/29] for BDL/MCO flights. When I purchased a couple of weeks ago there were more than 10 options both ways. Today there are only 4.

I do not have the red notice saying I can change my flights.

They most likely don't know which flights they will really be running. I know it is hard, but you need to relax and let them get this figured out. If they can. None of us really knows when things may be back to normal.

So, checked again today and our flights have re-appeared. Yay! I know it was not an emergency or even that big of a deal this far out, but it does help my peace-of-mind that the flights are there now.
Also the flight out is now cheaper so I was able to change it online and get about 14000 points back.

So, checked again today and our flights have re-appeared. Yay! I know it was not an emergency or even that big of a deal this far out, but it does help my peace-of-mind that the flights are there now.
Also the flight out is now cheaper so I was able to change it online and get about 14000 points back.
I changed my August flight to an earlier flight that was cheaper, so I got some back in travel funds.

So

Yep. Last night before I went to bed, I checked and for our May flight, the notice at the top in red was gone. Available flights were still showing only 3 choices. This morning, there are now 11 flights showing including the flight I have booked. So it's apparent that they are working through their options in a similar manner as they've been handling the Max 80 situation.

Steve

SW has dropped the May flights so much I'm beginning to believe that we're not going anywhere in May.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter