As a Canadian, what do you do to save money on Park dining?

This is not food related but still a way to save money. We like to relax by the pools in the afternoon and I would sometimes treat my children and spouses to a frozen Daquari and at $15 each with taxes and tips it was usually $150 CDN funds. I usually did this three times during a vacation. This Christmas we are all go to spend nine nights at Disney and then seven nights on Fort Lauderdale Beach over New Years. I decided to purchase a Ninja blender through airmiles and are taking it along to make frozen drinks down there. This should save everyone a bundle

Just went to California and DLR three weeks ago with three teen DSs and my DD, her last trip as a "Disney child."
1) We only stayed at hotels that offered full breakfast. Convenient and the cost already baked in, everyone could get what they want, including a variety of drinks (milk, juices, tea, coffee) instead of just one drink like we'd do at a restaurant. It also got kids to eat some fruit. It would be near lunchtime before anyone wanted a snack.
2) We used our Canadian Costco card, which is good around the world BTW, at Cali Costcos and the Sam's Club card I got to save on tickets and gift cards to buy gas, bottled water, case of whichever generic Powerade/Gatorade Sam's has, generic Kind bars (high levels of nuts, thus protein and fat --> Satiety), box of individual trail mix packs, and splurged on jerky bars for our pickiest eater, to ensure he'd get protein, and our biggest teen, who just needs *calories* all the time. Having these in our packs meant smaller meals or heavier snacks were all people needed to get to dinner. Dinner was always TS and basically order whatever you want because we had saved elsewhere.
At WDW definitely get the refillable popcorn bucket, an amenity not available in Anaheim (because they can't figure out how to prevent locals "abusing" it? Idk, but it was disappointing.)

We enjoy Pecos Bill Tall Tale Inn and Café – Tex-Mex, as a quick service. The fixins bar is amazing and you could make a meal just with that. DH and I will order the fajita Platter and a side of tortillas and share. More than enough.
I don't know if they actually have the fixins bar open post covid, but if they do, it's a good bang for your buck.

Sadly, the fixings bar went away with Covid. It used to be one of our favorites, but now we like Columbia Harbor House more.

I ditto the recommendations to eat large breakfasts at the house. Take some snacks along. Child portions will likely be enough for mom and maybe even dad. My boys didn’t eat much even as teens, but YMMV. Do QS for lunches. DH and I usually survive on 2 meals per day. Ditto for Regal Eagle Smokehouse. DH and I can easily share.

I have to say I don't really try to budget too much, but after many trips things we tend to do that end up saving us money...
As soon as I get there I do instacart for a case of water and usually toss in sunscreen or something we can't get in Canada (like milky way!).
My daughter and I don't eat huge meals in our daily life, so we order kids meals at quick service 99% of the time. This also allows more room for snacks. :)
We tend to have what we want - but have 'been there done that' with many TS in the past with free dining! Our fave place has changed so much we don't bother with it anymore. Gone downhill (Garden Grill).
We always go to GF cafe for brunch. This past trip we were hungry and tired and LTT had walk up, so we did that and quite enjoyed it!
We get refillable mugs more for coffee/tea/juice -we rarely drink pop.
This past trip I sent aside $1500 for the week and we only spent $800!

…I only drink decaf coffee with the refills mugs, so if the mug is the same design as my previous to, I just bring it along and re-use it 🤣

For Buffets I don’t eat nearly enough to justify the cost, so I always discreetly bring some snacks with me to go (I always have baggies at the ready) Same with meals, I’ll take the leftovers if I can for a snack later. (I also refill my mug too 🤣)

I pack granola bars and instant oatmeal packets for breakfast and have a quick light meal in the room with my coffee. Then I plan for an early lunch around 11am when quick service first opens to avoid the heavier noon lunch crowd. I often order kid meals. I bring a refillable water bottle instead of buying water. When the upgrade gap between quick service and table service free dining exploded this year, I decided the room discount offer was the better offer. Last year with room discount, I saved approx $650 US and budgeted that for food. I used about $475 of that budget as a solo guest and ate well with the occasional table service, a signature restaurant dinner, 2 lunches at the Boathouse and Food & Wine eats. YMMV if feeding teenagers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter