Asia Disney Parks closed due to Coronavirus (SHDL, HKDL, TDL)

Per the CDC website cases are generally mild.

I think that one of the challenges is that it is being spread easily and at times by people who have no symptoms. So while my 12 year old may fight it off without ever having any symptoms, she could pass it along to my 75 year old mother who lives with us and has health challenges. The ease of spread and affect on those who are elderly and/or have compromised immune systems is key to why there is so much unprecedented response and work toward social distancing. Having been in conversations for work (I work at a University that recently made the call to move classes to remote/online for a period of time), I can tell you that this level of a response is not something the University would do unless it felt it was absolutely necessary (and it has taken many many many work hours to make it happen...which is happening in many industries across the country, not just higher ed). I am confident we will continue to see large group events being cancelled over the next few weeks in an attempt to slow the spread. All that to say, yes they believe that most cases will be generally mild, but everyone should act as though they could pass it on to someone for whom the case would not be mild and could cause serious health complications (or even death). That isn't fear mongering, that is simply the facts.

I strongly dislike when people make sweeping general statements like "it's a mild illness for most people" and "most people will be fine" as though that means no one should be worried about it or make any meaningful changes to their own behavior.

Those statements cause people to relax TOO much and at this point we have seen how that can end up.
Exactly. We should all be concerned—not panicked. If everyone takes steps to affect social distancing, we can slow the spread and tax the health system less. That will mean THOSE individuals that do need care and advanced medical equipment can access it. It’s a group effort. My dh is in an at risk group. I’m especially committed to slowing the spread.

Question for the B&B here: Since the kids' trips are cancelled for Spring Break, should I take them to see their 91 year old granfather in Louisiana? I'm thinking no. But, I wanted to get others' opinion before telling DW that...

Question for the B&B here: Since the kids' trips are cancelled for Spring Break, should I take them to see their 91 year old granfather in Louisiana? I'm thinking no. But, I wanted to get others' opinion before telling DW that...
Tough choice. If you have had limited chance of exposure I'd say you are ok. I just had to take my daughter to the dr to get a strep diagnosis and prescription since Teledoc wouldn't do a perscription. So having been in a healthcare facility I wouldn't allow my family to visit my parents right now. I'd still be concerned just about schools as well, but less so than having been in a medical office.

Wow I have just watched the UK press conference and I'm terrified! What do you think of their approach? The bit where he says they want to build some community immunity was really what shook me!

Wow I have just watched the UK press conference and I'm terrified! What do you think of their approach? The bit where he says they want to build some community immunity was really what shook me!

I think it makes sense. If we don’t develop natural immunity we will deal with this over and over.

But there is not evidence yet that if you catch it once you don't catch it twice!

And I believe that the evidence in China is that if you catch it twice, it's pretty darn lethal to anyone the 2nd time...but Chinese data has been all over the place, so this may not be accurate (but then again, it may be)...it could be that if you almost get through it, but try to get back on your feet too soon, your body loses the infection fight a 2nd time, and this is what takes the person down (not a true "reinfection")...

But there is not evidence yet that if you catch it once you don't catch it twice!

There is actully evdence to the contrary. There are two strains and China has cofirmed if you get one strain you can also then get the other one afterwards. What I'm not sure is if most of what we are seeing is only one of the strans or both. I think I read something that one strain had been isolated in china but not 100% on that.

There is actully evdence to the contrary. There are two strains and China has cofirmed if you get one strain you can also then get the other one afterwards. What I'm not sure is if most of what we are seeing is only one of the strans or both. I think I read something that one strain had been isolated in china but not 100% on that.
The two strains part is the scariest thing. That means the virus will mutate inside humans. That means we could be looking at second deadlier wave just like what happened with the Spanish flu. The good news is it could mutate into an even milder version that could become the prominent strain.

I’ve been following the UK situation closely.... I personally think the UK is going to be in big trouble very soon. Friends who live there think it’s going to be another Italy based on how they’ve handled everything so far. They are very very worried.

The two strains part is the scariest thing. That means the virus will mutate inside humans. That means we could be looking at second deadlier wave just like what happened with the Spanish flu. The good news is it could mutate into an even milder version that could become the prominent strain.

I believe the milder version is the more predominant one.

From a biological/survival point of view (on the part of the actual virus), being TOO deadly isn't in the virus's best interest. It will not be able to propagate if it kills off all its hosts and will die out. So, viruses tend to mutate to be LESS deadly, so that they can continue to spread.

The reason why SARS and MERS didn't spread worldwide like this is that they are TOO deadly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!