August 9, 2018 Northern European Cruise

Geomom

DIS Veteran
Welcome Everyone!
This is a thread to talk about all things for our August 9, 2018 Northern European Cruise

Cruise Info:
Disney Magic
August 9, 2018 - August 16, 2018 Northern European Cruise

Day 1 Copenhagen, Denmark 4:00 PM
Day 2 At Sea
Day 3 Tallinn, Estonia 10:30 AM to 5:00 PM
Day 4 St. Petersburg, Russia 8:15 AM to 11:30 PM
Day 5 Helsinki, Finland 11:15 AM to 5:30 PM
Day 6 Stockholm, Sweden 9:00 AM to 4:30 PM
Day 7 At Sea
Day 8 Copenhagen, Denmark 7:30 AM

I'll be there! A little too excited already :)
Me too! DH is already tired of me talking about it!

We're a family of 4 from Massachusetts. By the time we go on the cruise, our daughters will be 18 and 14. My oldest will be graduating high school in June 2018 and starting college in Fall 2018. So this is sort of a 'graduation' trip for us all. For 3 of us it will be our first trip to Europe. (DD17 is going to Germany on a school trip next month.) I have soooo much research to do!

This will be our second cruise. Our first was 8/16, Wonder to Alaska.

My family will include myself and 2 boys aged 20 and 19. I will be traveling with my best friend, her husband and her boys age 13 and 11. We are from CT and she is from IL. This is our 5th cruise and her 3rd. This is our first trip to Europe.

Hi all!! We are from Toronto, this is our seventh cruise and second DCL, me, DH and two daughters who will be 10 and 13. I am hoping there will be interest in a FE group!!

Howdy from Texas. This will be our 3rd Disney cruise although my time at sea is considerably greater as I served 25 years in the Navy. Travelling with myself, DW, DS (20) and DD (13). It will be great time to get out of the Texas summer heat. This cruise departs 9 days after our 25th wedding anniversary so we are calling it an anniversary cruise. Also probably one of the last opportunities to convince our (then) 20 y/o DS to continue going on vacation with mom and dad :-)

Although it's too early to book anything, I've done a little looking at pre-sail hotels in Copenhagen based on the few trip reports that are out there that include Copenhagen. Finding options for 4 people without getting 2 rooms is pretty challenging as most European hotels tend to tap out at 3 people max occupancy. The Adina has a 2-room apartment style that sleeps 5 and I have the Kong Arthur written down but I don't recall if that was 1 or 2 rooms. Has anyone else looked yet or am I the biggest geek?

Although it's too early to book anything, I've done a little looking at pre-sail hotels in Copenhagen based on the few trip reports that are out there that include Copenhagen. Finding options for 4 people without getting 2 rooms is pretty challenging as most European hotels tend to tap out at 3 people max occupancy. The Adina has a 2-room apartment style that sleeps 5 and I have the Kong Arthur written down but I don't recall if that was 1 or 2 rooms. Has anyone else looked yet or am I the biggest geek?
I've been looking as well, but I am 'the planner'. :goodvibes

The prices in Cophenhagen are scary! Would love to find a hotel for the 4 of us closer to $200-$250/nt vs. the over $300/nt ones I keep seeing...and I'd love to have breakfast included and have it near public transit (I'm not asking for much.:rotfl2:) There are some 'family' rooms at hotels--with 2 girls we can have them sleep together in a sofabed if need be, so I'm not sure which ones have twin beds vs. sofabeds. The Wakeup Copenhagen chain's family rooms consist of 2 standard rooms with connecting doors. The Scandic hotel chain has some with family rooms--Scandic also advertises 'teenager rooms' that are connecting rooms--but you have to call up about those. Saga Hotel, Copenhagen Star Hotel, City Hotel Nebo--but a lot of those look to be near the red light district. Hotel Maritime. Danhostel Copenhagen City, private room for 4. There are a number of hotel with shared bath--so make sure you double check for 'private bath' when you're looking as well.

It doesn't look like we can book that far out yet for the hotel...and I need to get the airfare booked first to figure out how many hotel nights we'll need. So much still to do...but can't do it yet!

Hello fellow planner! Great info and thanks for the tip on the bath - I hadn't thought of that. I've seen a number of travel tips to ensure the room has air conditioning - something that I incorrectly assumed every hotel has. I agree that waiting continues to be the hardest part. I've got tentative flight numbers identified based on current flight schedules that can get us from central Texas to Copenhagen with 1 stop. I just did a mock booking as far out as you can right now (May), but as you've pointed out, we can't book those for 3 months! Being where you are, you might be able to find a non-stop - that would be great. Based on work schedules before the trip, we are probably only looking at 1 night in Copenhagen before the cruise so I would like to find something close to Tivoli Gardens because I know we want to go there. They are pricey! Good luck!

Hello fellow planner! Great info and thanks for the tip on the bath - I hadn't thought of that. I've seen a number of travel tips to ensure the room has air conditioning - something that I incorrectly assumed every hotel has. I agree that waiting continues to be the hardest part. I've got tentative flight numbers identified based on current flight schedules that can get us from central Texas to Copenhagen with 1 stop. I just did a mock booking as far out as you can right now (May), but as you've pointed out, we can't book those for 3 months! Being where you are, you might be able to find a non-stop - that would be great. Based on work schedules before the trip, we are probably only looking at 1 night in Copenhagen before the cruise so I would like to find something close to Tivoli Gardens because I know we want to go there. They are pricey! Good luck!
Norwegian Air is 'affordable' and has non-stop flights from Boston on Tuesdays to Copenhagen, Thursdays are non-stop back home--so they both 'technically' work, but with a red eye flight on Tuesday, we'll only have part of Wed. to explore...when we feel crappy from lack of sleep...and lots I'd like to see in Copenhagen. Will likely try a 1 stop flight to Copenhagen either Sat or Sun instead...I keep hoping for better connection times, but they're probably set in that schedule! I think I can deal with no air conditioning for a few days, so I haven't worried about that part yet--in August 2016 Copenhagen had highs temps from 72-64F, lows 61-48F.

Hello everyone! We are sailing with a group of 19 (!) and potentially still counting! My family is myself, my husband, son and daughter. My kids will still be fairly little (9 and 7) at the time of the cruise. We've decided to go all out...four days in the Netherlands beforehand and at least 3-4 days in Copenhagen afterwards. Thankfully we have points that will cover the hotels or the majority of the hotel stay. We have booked the Copenhagen Admiral Hotel for the night before the cruise. We are going to fly in from Amsterdam on Wednesday and stay one night at the CAH. It's right next to the Amalienborg castle, so we can tour that before we get on the ship.

I'm so excited! I can't wait to start booking everything!!

My wife and I and our son will be doing this cruise.
This will be our 12th Disney Cruise , our 11th is later this year in November when we do a Western on the Wonder out of Galveston.
We've done all of the four ships in the fleet and this will be like coming home since our first few cruises were on the classic ships (Magic and Wonder).
We live in the UK near Liverpool and the Magic is currently moored at the waterfront and I'm sure my wife will be paying her a visit later today .
We're really looking forward to this cruise as it's so different from any of the other Disney cruises we've been on and it'll be great to see the Northern cities , in particular St Petersburg and the winter palace

Steve,Sue and Stuart

My wife and I and our son will be doing this cruise.
This will be our 12th Disney Cruise , our 11th is later this year in November when we do a Western on the Wonder out of Galveston.
We've done all of the four ships in the fleet and this will be like coming home since our first few cruises were on the classic ships (Magic and Wonder).
We live in the UK near Liverpool and the Magic is currently moored at the waterfront and I'm sure my wife will be paying her a visit later today .
We're really looking forward to this cruise as it's so different from any of the other Disney cruises we've been on and it'll be great to see the Northern cities , in particular St Petersburg and the winter palace

Steve,Sue and Stuart
Wow! 12 Disney cruises! Quite a feat, especially when you're coming from the UK! This cruise will be our 2nd, first was the Wonder to Alaska last summer. We think the Classics are the perfect size for us and don't have any real desire to try the Dream class ships yet--and no urge to see the Caribbean or Bahamas...although that may change 'someday.'

Hi, we are a family of 6 from Texas but living in Oslo Norway for the past 2 years. We just got
Back from our first Disney cruise on the Magic to Barcelona and decided to book this one while we are still living on this side of the water. I underestimated how much the kids missed the good old USA seeing all the Americans on board. We'll be taking the ferry over from oslo to cophenhagen next year!

Hi, we are a family of 6 from Texas but living in Oslo Norway for the past 2 years. We just got
Back from our first Disney cruise on the Magic to Barcelona and decided to book this one while we are still living on this side of the water. I underestimated how much the kids missed the good old USA seeing all the Americans on board. We'll be taking the ferry over from oslo to cophenhagen next year!
Nice! Makes complete sense to take advantage of a cruise like this without the air travel! DD17 would love to visit Norway someday.

Hey everybody!

Just about a year away! Has everyone/anyone started planning yet? We've got complicated plans because 19 of us will be meeting up on the cruise!

As for my family, here are our plans so far:

Leave DC on Friday night/Saturday morning to land in Amsterdam. We will spend Saturday to Wednesday in the Netherlands, touring Amsterdam, the Hague and Zuiderzee. On Wednesday we will fly to Copenhagen. Has anyone ever flown Norwegian Air? If so, do you have any concerns, tips, etc? They seem to have the best times to fly between AMS and CPH. We are spending Wednesday night at the Copenhagen Admiral Hotel. They allowed me to already book a room and they will hold our bags during the morning while we explore. Plus, they are located next to the Amalienborg Castle.

Obviously on Thursday we will board the ship. So ready!!

Tallinn: Part of our group is going to paint marzipan and part is going to tour the KGB room at the Viru Hotel. I also found a place to have novelty pictures done in medieval dress (this is a family quirk--we try to have funny photos done everywhere we go). I'm hoping we can squeeze in Kadriorg park as well.

St. Petersburg: We are doing a private tour through the Anastasia Travel group. They've been amazing as our group has swelled to 19 and the ages run from 7 to 70. They are taking care of everything and were more than willing to customize an itinerary for us. I've been impressed with their responsiveness.

Helsinki: we are considering doing the Reindeer/Nuuskio Park tour through Disney. This is the only tour we are doing through Disney. It will be the only tour we do through Disney.

Stockholm: We are going to tour the Vasa Museum and the Skansen Open-Air Museum. My husband is angling for the ABBA museum, but I don't think we will have time.

Copenhagen: We are going to stay there another 3-4 days, so we will pack in as much as we can! Kronborg, Tivoli Gardens, day trip to Roskilde, who knows!

Any tips you have? Any comments or questions? I'm ready to start booking things as soon as they come open!!

Only commenting about Norwegian Air. We've flown several times and it's a nice airline. Just be aware that their checked bag limit is 20 kg and usually smaller cabin bag limit than the US airlines. If you have a lap baby traveling, you are allowed an extra 5 kg in your checked bag. Also, for those planning on bringing strollers, it seems like the norm is to pack strollers in sturdy bags as airlines here generally don't cover damage if it isn't packed.

Only commenting about Norwegian Air. We've flown several times and it's a nice airline. Just be aware that their checked bag limit is 20 kg and usually smaller cabin bag limit than the US airlines. If you have a lap baby traveling, you are allowed an extra 5 kg in your checked bag. Also, for those planning on bringing strollers, it seems like the norm is to pack strollers in sturdy bags as airlines here generally don't cover damage if it isn't packed.

Thanks for the info! I was thinking about pre-purchasing three checked bags even though we are only bringing two (my kids bring their own bags and they are carry-on size) because the limits did look lower than in the U.S. I don't mind flying the low cost airlines and I'm glad you've had a good experience. Thankfully, I don't have a lap baby anymore! All my kids "stuff" has to fit in their backpack that they carry. Thanks!

Wow 19 people!! We recently flew Norwegian JFK-LGW and it was perfectly pleasant. The legroom and seat width was tighter than the traditional airlines but for the difference in price not a big deal to us. We were determined to make the 10kg weight limit for carryons without checking a bag. We (3 of us) are going on the cruise right before you- Dover - Copenhagen. 7/29-8/9/18. Look forward to following your planning! We are thinking about exploring most ports on our own other than Berlin because of the tighter timeframe and travel to/from port and maybe St. Petersburg.

Hi from Texas. This is our first Disney Cruise. My husband and I will be traveling with our 6 yr old (7 at the time of the cruise) daughter (Clementine). My sister will be joining us as well ( she lives in Germany). Since we have an only child we would love to meet up with anyone else that may have a little girl around the same age. Maybe start up a pen pal situation pre cruise. Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter