August 9, 2018 Northern European Cruise

The good - paid in full!
The bad - that's a bunch of money! :-)
Good for you! I just added it to my whiteboard calendar in 2 places to remind myself to pay. I need to wait a couple more weeks for this credit card statement to close--gives us another month before we have to really pay for it...which might put it around when we get our tax refund!

Yes, the bad is the amount of money! I'm trying to look for the positive spin--it'll add another $130+ to my Disney Rewards card that we're planning to use on the ship to pay for excursions, etc.

I don't know if it is based on booking date, room type or what, but my date is today. Since I had plane reservations done some time ago, the big pieces are done and paid for. Now it's just planning port activities. With my payment rewards points, I am buying all new MATCHING luggage and will finally get rid of the random assortment of suitcases we've accumulated over the years. :-)

I don't know if it is based on booking date, room type or what, but my date is today. Since I had plane reservations done some time ago, the big pieces are done and paid for. Now it's just planning port activities. With my payment rewards points, I am buying all new MATCHING luggage and will finally get rid of the random assortment of suitcases we've accumulated over the years. :-)
Weird. Our PIF date is April 10th--120 days out. We're in a Category 9C room.

Since DS is 20 and probably on our last big family trip, we splurged a little and went with the Cat V so maybe that's why. Either way - it will be awesome.

Heads up for anyone who wants to buy the Copenhagen Card--prices are increasing slightly as of 4/1/18. https://copenhagencard.com/

We already bought (and received) our Copenhagen and Stockholm cards. We had them shipped to us in the US (it took 3-4 weeks). Our envelopes for both were in rough shape--Copenhagen one was taped back up in multiple places, and the Stockholm one had 1 end completely open. I was very happy to discover that all the cards were still in both envelopes though!

@DCSWO
Thank you for posting the dining rotations/menus! I showed it to my kids and they want me to request starting with Rapunzel's Royal Table so we can eat there for dinner 3 nights. (They also wanted Lumieres for formal night--so that works out!)

No problem. I was trying to plan our Palo dinner night so I asked for the rotation and figured it might be handy for others.

Hello everyone!
My husband, myself and our daughter (aged 11) will be on this cruise. We live just outside Cambridge, UK and this will be our first ever cruise. I've picked up lots of info and tips from this site but still lots of planning to do. It will be our first visit to all of the port stops, and our first trip to Copenhagen too. Very excited!

Our daughter would love to make contact with a pen (e-mail?) friend before we go. She's an only child and is a little nervous about venturing into the kids clubs when she doesn't know anyone. If anyone has a child who would like to do the same please just let me know.

Hello everyone!
My husband, myself and our daughter (aged 11) will be on this cruise. We live just outside Cambridge, UK and this will be our first ever cruise. I've picked up lots of info and tips from this site but still lots of planning to do. It will be our first visit to all of the port stops, and our first trip to Copenhagen too. Very excited!

Our daughter would love to make contact with a pen (e-mail?) friend before we go. She's an only child and is a little nervous about venturing into the kids clubs when she doesn't know anyone. If anyone has a child who would like to do the same please just let me know.
Welcome! We're really looking forward to the cruise--it's all new to us--first trip to Europe for all but my oldest daughter who did a school trip to Germany.

On our first cruise on the Wonder in 2016, my daughters were 12 and 16. With their ages they were in different clubs, my youngest spent her time in Edge, oldest in Vibe. My older one is the more nervous one--she did well with looking at the Personal Navigator and picking activities she wanted to go to at the club--in addition to doing an activity she wanted, she met some people her age that way. She actually still texts one of the girls she met at the teen club (Vibe). She also did a lot of activities with us--movies, family crafts, etc. She's 18 now...and I'll be pushing her to go to the 1820 society meetings...hopefully she'll meet people her age that way! My youngest will be 14, and will probably go to Vibe as she'll be starting high school in the fall...but she is in the crossover age, so maybe she'll go to Edge as well...who knows!

My suggestion is to visit the clubs with your daughter on the first day when they're 'open houses'. She can see what the spaces are like, and meet the counselors. When we visited Edge with my younger daughter on the first day, she decided to stay and play while we went back to the room to unpack. I'd also suggest letting her pick out activities she'd like to do in the clubs, and have her go to those--that will help her naturally meet people interested in the same things.

@DCSWO

That info is fantastic! How were you able to get that information? Did you just call up DCL and they gave it to you? ºoº

Last edited:
We are sailing concierge so I asked for it in my 125 day email request for booking events. I tried for the show schedule as well but they said that changes.

Thanks Geomom for your reply. Some great suggestions there. I hadn't realised we could go with her to the clubs on the first day so we'll definitely do that which should help calm her nerves.
Our DD will be moving up to secondary (high) school in September too. We have a slightly different system here to the USA, so most schools/areas change at age 11. It's worked out well as this holiday has turned out to be a bit of an end-of-primary celebration for her. I hope you enjoy your first trip to Europe.

Thank you also to DCSWO for posting the dining rotations.

Thanks Geomom for your reply. Some great suggestions there. I hadn't realised we could go with her to the clubs on the first day so we'll definitely do that which should help calm her nerves.
Our DD will be moving up to secondary (high) school in September too. We have a slightly different system here to the USA, so most schools/areas change at age 11. It's worked out well as this holiday has turned out to be a bit of an end-of-primary celebration for her. I hope you enjoy your first trip to Europe.

Thank you also to DCSWO for posting the dining rotations.
Thank you, we're looking forward to exploring all the ports!

Take a look at last year's Personal navigator for this cruise and you'll get an idea of how often they have 'open houses' where anyone can visit the clubs; and it'll give you an idea of the types of activities they 'might' offer. Scott from Disney cruise line blog has tons of info on his site:
http://disneycruiselineblog.com/201...orthern-europe-cruise-copenhagen-may-28-2017/

Around 11 yrs is 'middle school' for us in the US. (In my town, middle school is grades 6-8 and high school is 9-12). It's a big year in our house, 1 graduating high school and heading off to college in the fall; 1 leaving middle school and entering high school...and October is DH and my 25th anniversary.

Thanks for these - really useful. We've had a look at the navigators and DD has picked a few activities that she'd definitely like to try if they are run again this year.

You certainly have a lot to celebrate this year - congratulations!

Hello! For anyone who is Platinum or Concierge, can you report which port adventures are being offered for Helsinki? It's the only port where we are considering doing a Disney excursion. I've seen what is listed on the Disney cruise website, but I don't know if those are definitely being offered or not. Thanks!!!

No problem. I was trying to plan our Palo dinner night so I asked for the rotation and figured it might be handy for others.
Hello everyone! I will be sailing with my friend and we are celebrating our 31st birthdays. How do you request dining rotations? This will only be my second disney cruise and her first. Thanks so much for all the info already!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!