Aulani age 18 versus 17 benefits

Disneyfamily145

Earning My Ears
Heading to Aulani this summer. Our daughter turns 18 two days before our check in. I made our reservations with her as age 17 at the time of doing so, but I am realizing that if I register her as 18 years old that I will be charged a significant fee per day just to have her in the room. What are the advantages and disadvantages of registering her as 18? I know the significant disadvantage is the added cost which seem pretty steep. Thanks for the comments!

Have you actually compared pricing? When I look at random summer dates and compare the price for 2 adults and 1 child versus 3 adults, it's identical.

Yes. On my reservation details for standard view room type, they are charging an additional $100 for “Third Guest”, and another $100 for “Fourth Guest”. “Additional guest fees only apply to those 18 years or older”.

We will be there for a conference and am using a link to the Walt Disney World Group Reservations. Could it be that because of the discounted rate that they will charge for the additional guest? If so, what am I getting for $100/day just to declare her?

Hmm--it must be related to the discounted rate, as, on the Aulani direct website, like I said, there is no difference in rates for 2 adults/1 child and 3 adults. As for "what you are getting," I don't think there are any different amenities or accesses for adults vs. children.

Thanks for the reply! My main concern is if they have different pool bands for adults versus children as my daughter would like to relax and enjoy the adult pools. If they don’t have different pool bands, then I will recommend she carry her drivers license with her to prove she is over 18.

I think the additional guest fee is to protect against several adults attending the meeting from cramming into a room i guess???

Thanks for the reply! My main concern is if they have different pool bands for adults versus children as my daughter would like to relax and enjoy the adult pools. If they don’t have different pool bands, then I will recommend she carry her drivers license with her to prove she is over 18.

I think the additional guest fee is to protect against several adults attending the meeting from cramming into a room i guess???

Many hotels charge an additional fee for adults exceeding two in the room. I think the rationale is the adults can book a separate room.

Nope, there are no differences in pool bands for adults and children--they are the same! Your daughter will not need her DL to verify age for the adult pool. I highly doubt that anyone would even say anything to her, but if they did, I'm sure it would be sufficient for her verify her age verbally.

Every time I've made a Disney reservation it's always been my son's age at check in. And to confirm what everyone else has said, except for the adults only pool, there would be no difference between a 17 year old and a 18 year old.

I'm assuming the result for you will be the same as when a child turns 10 during the middle of a ticket block for the parks, e.g. Disney goes by the age on the first day of a 7-day park pass. Check out:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/what-happens-when-child-turns-10-during-trip.2715052/

I'm assuming the result for you will be the same as when a child turns 10 during the middle of a ticket block for the parks, e.g. Disney goes by the age on the first day of a 7-day park pass. Check out:

Yep, but OP stated that his daughter turns 18 two days BEFORE check-in, so she should technically be registered as an adult, as opposed to a child.

Your room type determines if you'll be charged the $100/night for the 3rd and 4th person - that may be why some people are seeing it and some are not. It doesn't matter if you're paying rack rate or a discounted rate.

From Aulani's website:

For parties with more than 2 adults in a Deluxe Studio or Standard Room, an additional fee of $100 per adult/per night plus tax has been applied to the third and fourth adult. The additional adult fee does not apply to Suites or Villas.

There are teen activities that she will not be able to do if she is 18, my daughter loved to do the teen club things and really missed doing them once she turned 18 and was now an "adult"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!