Aulani Now a Smoke-Free Resort

dreamit

DIS Veteran
https://www.disneyaulani.com/about-...726548|283746521&cid=PDM238934&bid=1291154792SMOKE-FREE RESORT
As part of our commitment to promoting health and safety for our Guests, Disney Vacation Club Members and Cast Members, Aulani Resort is now a smoke-free resort. Smoking locations have been removed and smoking will be not be permitted on premises.

As a reminder, Hawaii state law prohibits smoking (including e-cigarettes) on the beach within the state.

Interesting news... hope this doesn't affect too many people, forcing them to seek other places nearby.

This actually surprised me as I didn't even realize there were smoking areas at Aulani.

Will this just mean more guests smoke on their balcony? or will they go for a walk off resort grounds to smoke?

I would be more excited about this of they actually enforced it. I have had bad experiences at WDW with people smoking by their rooms and cast members do nothing, saying that they have to be the ones to see a person smoking. One time the people even had an ash tray right outside their room and cast members did nothing. I hope with Aulani being a smaller resort, that they can monitor it better. I imagine there are going to be a lot of people now smoking on the sidewalk leading to the stores across the street making that impossible for me to walk there. Being allergic to the stuff is really annoying.

I would be more excited about this of they actually enforced it. I have had bad experiences at WDW with people smoking by their rooms and cast members do nothing, saying that they have to be the ones to see a person smoking. One time the people even had an ash tray right outside their room and cast members did nothing. I hope with Aulani being a smaller resort, that they can monitor it better. I imagine there are going to be a lot of people now smoking on the sidewalk leading to the stores across the street making that impossible for me to walk there. Being allergic to the stuff is really annoying.
I’m sure this is what will happen. With the previously designated smoking areas, most would never encounter it. Now the “smoking area” will be on the sidewalk leading to the shopping/restaurants across the street where many more will encounter it.

Not to be glib or snarky, but an honest question...do you think wearing a mask (maybe with a filter?) would help you? I’m not allergic per se, but smoke really irritates my eyes and throat. My grandfather farmed tobacco (and died of emphysema, but in his late 80’s so...) and some of our neighbors still do, but I’d really be happy if all smoking and vaping just disappeared.

Not to be glib or snarky, but an honest question...do you think wearing a mask (maybe with a filter?) would help you? I’m not allergic per se, but smoke really irritates my eyes and throat. My grandfather farmed tobacco (and died of emphysema, but in his late 80’s so...) and some of our neighbors still do, but I’d really be happy if all smoking and vaping just disappeared.

I am still able to smell it through a mask and I get an immediate reaction from it. Short of having something like a hazmat mask, that filters most everything out, I don't imagine any of the masks that we are wearing make any difference. It is like if someone is allergic to peanuts, even the residual dust in the air can affect some. That is why they stopped serving them on airplanes. For me, my smoking allergy is just like if instead of cigarette, people puffed out peanut dust. It would be impossible to avoid because so many smoke everywhere, the entrance to a store and any outdoor area. It should be taken as seriously as any other allergy, but it's not. In fact, I just had a horrible experience at Epcot the other day. I was in the Japan seating area eating, and some 20 something year old guy lit up and, of course, I smell it immediately. I turned and asked him to please put it out since I am extremely allergic to it. He did, but then started calling me a stupid witch and that he had never heard of anyone being allergic to cigarettes. Well, most of the time we don't say anything because of this reaction. Smokers seem to take it so personally that they completely loose their poop over it. Never mind that he was not supposed to be smoking in the park anyway. There are many people like me that have developed an allergy to not only cigarettes but to perfumes and cologne. It is miserable.

I am still able to smell it through a mask and I get an immediate reaction from it. Short of having something like a hazmat mask, that filters most everything out, I don't imagine any of the masks that we are wearing make any difference. It is like if someone is allergic to peanuts, even the residual dust in the air can affect some. That is why they stopped serving them on airplanes. For me, my smoking allergy is just like if instead of cigarette, people puffed out peanut dust. It would be impossible to avoid because so many smoke everywhere, the entrance to a store and any outdoor area. It should be taken as seriously as any other allergy, but it's not. In fact, I just had a horrible experience at Epcot the other day. I was in the Japan seating area eating, and some 20 something year old guy lit up and, of course, I smell it immediately. I turned and asked him to please put it out since I am extremely allergic to it. He did, but then started calling me a stupid witch and that he had never heard of anyone being allergic to cigarettes. Well, most of the time we don't say anything because of this reaction. Smokers seem to take it so personally that they completely loose their poop over it. Never mind that he was not supposed to be smoking in the park anyway. There are many people like me that have developed an allergy to not only cigarettes but to perfumes and cologne. It is miserable.
Ugh that’s awful. I can’t believe I used to be able to wear perfume. Now it makes my throat just feel like it’s completely closing up. My DD is considered as having “reactive airways” (prob related to her reflux, and I think my husband and I both are in that same boat. And while I’ve met plenty of considerate smokers, I’ve gotten the stink eye if I’ve walked away from some, even if I didn’t say anything, so yeah, I hear you. I literally don’t remember seeing one person smoking at Aulani, so fingers crossed you’ll be good.

Ugh that’s awful. I can’t believe I used to be able to wear perfume. Now it makes my throat just feel like it’s completely closing up. My DD is considered as having “reactive airways” (prob related to her reflux, and I think my husband and I both are in that same boat. And while I’ve met plenty of considerate smokers, I’ve gotten the stink eye if I’ve walked away from some, even if I didn’t say anything, so yeah, I hear you. I literally don’t remember seeing one person smoking at Aulani, so fingers crossed you’ll be good.

What bothers me the most is that many people think you are making up the allergy because they "have never heard of it". It might not be as common as other allergies, but even my allergy doctor said that he is seeing it more and more and that it is a legitimate issue. I think more awareness for this is necessary. Also the perfume allergy needs to be out there too. No one needs to wear so much that you can smell them from several feet away and be able to smell the perfume in a room after you leave.

Generally speaking I am not fond of micromanaging rules anywhere, but smoking is something that directly impacts OTHER people around the smoker, so I'm glad to see it prohibited at the hotel.

I’m sure this is what will happen. With the previously designated smoking areas, most would never encounter it. Now the “smoking area” will be on the sidewalk leading to the shopping/restaurants across the street where many more will encounter it.
Ko Olina only allows smoking in designated areas and the aloha team is very good at enforcing this. If you see someone smoking on the sidewalks by the shop you can let someone in the shops know and they can contact an aloha team member if one is not visible to you.

I could have written this post.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter