Aulani on a budget...

yes thats for both of us.. $2000 or more coach. I have read on here somewhere people getting fights to Hawaii from FL for around $300 or $400. but I haven't seen anything even close to that price.. Ill keep checking, we are not going till Sept of next year I have just been pricing for this year.

Ouch on those ticket prices. We're in west TN and I'm not looking forward to these prices. Just now researching for next summer. We're open to flying out of Nashville or Little Rock, whoever has the best pricing. Having previously lived on the west coast, I'm missing those prices and more options for direct flights. From where we are (Memphis) our options are limited. We're looking at the possibility of having to fly into somewhere like LAX (or elsewhere) to get a better price to the west coast, and then book our second leg of the trip out of that destination.

I would never recommend driving on Oahu to the unseasoned driver, especially not a newly licensed one.
OP, I recommend staying somewhere other than Aulani if you want to experience Hawaii and not the Disney version of it.
Aulani is not well-situated for someone who wants to see the rest of the island.
I suggest staying somewhere in the Waikiki area to experience the touristy stuff that is all within walking distance and where you will find competitive pricing for tours and other excursions that require pickups at your hotel.

I totally agree with this.

By the way, if budget is a concern, have you considered looking into renting a 2 bedroom villa at the Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club instead (walking distance to Aulani, so you can go over and eat/drink but of course not swim, but the pools at Aulani are WAY more crowded than the Marriott)? You can look at www.redweek.com and compare weeks. I've rented when I needed an extra week.

Honestly there is no way I'd go for less than 10 nights though. It's just too far. I suffer little jet lag, but take melatonin (I have since we lived there 23 years ago and I'd bring it when I visited the mainland).

We use airline miles so have never paid for a ticket, even though we've been back over a dozen times. I play the points game, and used to sometimes fly coach, but I refuse to any longer. I want a lie flat seat especially for the red eye coming home. Cash for those flights was running about 4K per seat but miles worked out for our last trip and my next one. I follow the points guy and am on flyertalk.com a lot. There is a lot to learn, but you may want to look into credit cards for miles/points. My favorite over the years has been the Starwood amex.

There are many reasonably priced hotels in Waikiki as well. They don't have to break the bank, and if it's just a hotel room (not a villa), we're not in the room much anyway. Just to sleep and shower. If one doesn't want a rental car, Waikiki is a much better option.

Ouch on those ticket prices. We're in west TN and I'm not looking forward to these prices. Just now researching for next summer. We're open to flying out of Nashville or Little Rock, whoever has the best pricing. Having previously lived on the west coast, I'm missing those prices and more options for direct flights. From where we are (Memphis) our options are limited. We're looking at the possibility of having to fly into somewhere like LAX (or elsewhere) to get a better price to the west coast, and then book our second leg of the trip out of that destination.
Last June, Nashville to Salt Lake to Honolulu cost us $1100 each (Delta), booked a year in advance. Came back through LAX. I was too chicken to try to split and use Hawaiian. Wish I had better news/info for you :(

Yes it's terrible that the flight almost cost more than the resort!!!
Ours did! And I agree--it was awful, especially since we didn't even get a meal! But I paid for flight long before the resort and just tried to repress the memory!! LOL Maybe you'll get lucky and find some deal. But it'll be worth it, either way, I promise :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter