Aulani Sofabed

amym2

DIS Veteran
Can anyone comment on the comfort of the sofabed at Aulani? We're going next month (DH, me, DS11, DD9, and FIL) and will have a dedicated 2 bdrm. I'm trying to decide which option is best:
-DS and FIL on the two queens, DD on the sleeper chair or sofabed
-DD and DS on the two queens, FIL on the sofabed
-FIL on a queen bed, kids on the sofabed and sleeper chair

It would be nice for DH and his dad to stay up a little later than the rest of us (I know I'll be ready for bed when the kids are), but that would require putting the kids in the bedroom and FIL on the couch. Our kids don't sleep in, so they are likely to be up just as early as the rest of us (coming from EST). DS is a little bit hesitant to sleep in the same room as his grandpa, but DS would probably fall asleep first and not wake up if FIL snores. Ugh, I know we'll have plenty of space, but the logistics of this are bugging me!

On our first trip my mother ( age 75)slept on the pull out sofa. It was not comfortable at all for her. This year, the kids slept on the pull out and sleeper chair and it was fine for them.

On our first trip my mother ( age 75)slept on the pull out sofa. It was not comfortable at all for her. This year, the kids slept on the pull out and sleeper chair and it was fine for them.

Ok, thanks for the feedback. I'm guessing I'll tell FIL to take a queen bed, DD to take the sleeper chair, and I'll let DS choose between the other queen and the sofabed. My kids slept on the pull-outs at OKW and said they were fine.

Our adult son who is 6'4" and over 300# slept on it just fine! He said he never slept on a sofa as comfortable as that one.

Our adult son who is 6'4" and over 300# slept on it just fine! He said he never slept on a sofa as comfortable as that one.

Hmm, interesting. My FIL is probably only 5'9" and 200 lbs, but I'm not sure how many years it has been since he has slept on a sofa bed. Is the Aulani mattress thin like typical sofa beds, or is it cushier?

That's good news... our son is the same size .. and that's gonna be his bed! :thumbsup2

I gave him the choice of the second bedroom w/his brother and SIL - or the living room .. (that will determine which 2BR I book) .. He chose the living room .. he sleeps like a rock .. and feels like he'll have his "own" room.

We'll see at 5am when I'm up fixing coffee tho' .. :rotfl2:

as a side note.. Aulani does not have sleeper chairs. Those rooms have the murphy bed under the TV in the living room. I believe that the bed is a standard twin.

Mary

as a side note.. Aulani does not have sleeper chairs. Those rooms have the murphy bed under the TV in the living room. I believe that the bed is a standard twin.

Mary

Actually, we were in 875 (dedicated 2 bedroom, HA) and it had a pull out couch and a sleeper chair, with no Murphy bed in the TV stand. I'm not sure if this was due to it being a dedicated 2 bedroom, a HA room, or something else, but there was a sleeper chair and no Murphy bed. My son slept on the pullout chair, because it was "easier" to pull out and put back.

Mary

Dedicated 2 bedrooms have the sleeper chair instead of the pull down TV bed. Lock-off 2 bedrooms have the TV bed since they are a 1bdrm and studio combined. DD was a bit disappointed that we are getting a dedicated 2bdrm because she wanted to try out the TV bed, but I went for the dedicated because I want the 2 queen beds and extra bathroom.

Actually, we were in 875 (dedicated 2 bedroom, HA) and it had a pull out couch and a sleeper chair, with no Murphy bed in the TV stand. I'm not sure if this was due to it being a dedicated 2 bedroom, a HA room, or something else, but there was a sleeper chair and no Murphy bed. My son slept on the pullout chair, because it was "easier" to pull out and put back.

Is the sleeper chair large enough for an adult?

I would love to hear about anyones experiences or observations with the sleeper chair. We will be travelling with friends & my mother, and I think the extra queen in the dedicated 2 bedroom would work best, however this eliminates the murphy bed as an option. I have a 9:year old DS that is the size/length of a 12 yr old. Would this work for him? Is the chair easily moved? Im thinking of placing it in the King bedroom with us, to make the living room a truely community room. I know kids are pretty easy to please , but I hate to spend that much $ on a vacation & not have comfortable bedding for all. I appreciate any of your thoughts...
TIA :)

We haven't been to Aulani yet (going next month), so I don't know for sure, but when we stayed at OKW last year DS11 slept on the sleeper chair and there seemed to be plenty of extra room. And the sleeper chair was far too large and heavy to be moved. I don't think it would have fit through the doorway. I'd assume the same will be true at Aulani.

I would love to hear about anyones experiences or observations with the sleeper chair. We will be travelling with friends & my mother, and I think the extra queen in the dedicated 2 bedroom would work best, however this eliminates the murphy bed as an option. I have a 9:year old DS that is the size/length of a 12 yr old. Would this work for him? Is the chair easily moved? Im thinking of placing it in the King bedroom with us, to make the living room a truely community room. I know kids are pretty easy to please , but I hate to spend that much $ on a vacation & not have comfortable bedding for all. I appreciate any of your thoughts...
TIA :)

The sleeper chair should be fine for a 12 year old. My 16 yr old son slept on it without issue (he's 5'9"). We didn't try to move it, and I'm not sure there'd be room to put it in the Master though.

I don't think you will have enough room in the king bedroom for the chair. We stay in the one bedroom DVC rooms, and there is no way we could have fit a sleeper chair in there. Well, actually, I suppose we could have. It would have just occupied the entire space between the side of the bed and the wall.

The sleeper sofa isn't bad. Certainly far better than anything you will find in other hotels or even the sleeper sofa in your home. I slept on it one night to keep my DD company and is had no issues.

My DD did no like the TV Murphy bed though. It's a single bed for one, which she is not used to, and in the first night she sat up in bed and bonked her head on the tv stand above (it only hangs over the top if the mattress a little bit, but she caught it.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter