Autism and GAC

kimba

Mouseketeer
Is it best to have my DS's Doctor write a letter explaining his issues or can I just write a note myself explaining the problems he has(ie. long waits and some enviroments).

I know some people don't even bring a note. Should we just explain in person? I thought a note would make things easier.

Thanks.

Hi Kimba, I brought a report with me just in case. I actually don't think it's even legal to request one but I have heard to many different stories that I just wanted to make it as easy on myself as possible. Anyone one with more clarification?

PS have a fantastic trip.

Many parents feel more comfortable bringing a doctor's note, but a note is completely unnecessary. Instead, you must be able to explain the type of assistance that you require.

Nine times out of ten, the Guest Relations Cast Member will ask you: What type of assitance do you require? This is an important question because even if the Cast Member knows your diagnosis and is well-informed, he/she may not know the type of assitance you require. Each individual guest will have different needs even if they have the same disability.

So, spend some time thinking about the assistance that you require. If your son is autistic some of the assistance that might be helpful for you might be:

--"He needs to remain in his stroller while waiting in lines"

--"He can't be in the direct sunlight for very long"

--"He can't wait in enclosed spaces with other guests"

Perhaps some of these suggestions will be appropriate. Perhaps not. If you can clearly state what assistance you would like from Walt Disney World, the Guest Relations Cast Member can easily provide that asistance (with very few exceptions).

Have a magical vacation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter