• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Autism Magical Moment (not in Disney)

Forevryoung

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone, I was excited and you guys are the only ones who would understand how cool this was-

I lifeguard/teach swim at a day camp. I taught one swim level for most of the summer (4 weeks) and then was moved two levels higher because they needed help. For those 4 weeks, I had an autistic child in one of my classes. He has a shadow who is wonderful (she goes in with him every day). I have spent a lot of time with autistic children so it was no big deal. She is working on "hello ___" and "goodbye ___" with him so every day we would greet each other :wave: . Today he was walking by the pool where I used to be every day (I havent been there for a week) and said "where's kate?" :earseek: The shadow asked him to repeat it because she couldnt believe that he had remembered that I was SUPPOSED to be there and that I wasnt. And that this was a week later. :cheer2:

The shadow told me the story later in the day. Made me very happy. Yay! :banana: Autistic children never cease to amaze me.

How Cool!! I know what you mean!! I am a perm. sub. at a school, and have worked with an autistic girl since she was in 2nd grade - when she was in 3rd grade she really began communicating!! I'll never forget her face when I was in the 4th of July Parade - she saw me called me by name, and I had to stop and she 'touched' me - not quite a real hug, but truly a hug from her!!! Her mom had tears in her eyes - she truly began to blossom that year!! :goodvibes (and yes for a moment her mom thought her dd was running after a stranger!!! When I explained I was a sub at the school, mom was even MORE confused!! Being a perm. sub, gives me greater time with those that need it - instead of taking plan periods, I will go find something, or someone to work with!!)

:cheer2: That is wonderful. Austistic kids are really amazing. I think they experience the world differently.
So nice to hear about great people, like you, working with and enjoying our kids.

few years back when I shattered my leg I couldn't sub for about 5 months. One day my husband and I were going into the grocery with me in my wheelchair. One of my autistic students I worked with all year pulled from his Mom and came runnning to me. He started signing to me. It was the first time his Mom ever saw him communicate. She didn't even know he knew some sign language because we had been working on it only in the classroom. He hadn't seen me for 3 months but still remembered me.

That is so awesome! :banana:
My ds 8, high-functioning,is trying to start up conversations at our pool at our complex. There is this one boy, about 11 or 12 yrs. old that greets my son at the pool. The other day at the pool, my ds starts up a conversation with this boy about what he is going to do this weekend! So precious!
:goodvibes

Rosemarie :flower:

autistic children remember very well people who are special to them.
When we pass the school my son went to for preschool at age 3, he still will say - Diana if I ask him about who his teacher was there. He is nearly 12. Those working with autistic children - please know - you are getting "in there", it is just hard for our kids to express it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter