Autographs in Asia?

fabfemmeboy

DIS Veteran
We're in the midst of planning a (two-part) grand Asian Disney tour when a question occurred to us: do characters sign autographs in the Asian parks, and if so - in which alphabet? I know that some characters in Paris sign with the French name (e.g. "Blanche Neige" instead of Snow White, etc.). A quick internet search is showing only one reference, someone who said she didn't see anyone in line in Shanghai with autograph books so she left hers in the hotel room. Can anyone confirm whether this cultural pasttime exists in Shanghai, Hong Kong, or Tokyo? Thanks!

Hmmmmm. I can't recall ever seeing anyone getting autographs in Hong Kong, Shanghai or Tokyo Disneyland. But, I'm not an autograph hunter so it's not something that I would keep an eye out for.

Character meets aren't very popular in Shanghai, so I can't even remember if I saw anyone in line carrying an autograph book as there was normally no-one else in line!

As for Tokyo, I certainly don't remember seeing anyone carrying an autograph book. The locals, which make up the vast majority of visitors to Tokyo Disneyland, have their own unique customs. Primarily, they seem to simply like playing "photographer" and taking photos of the character in various poses (i.e. they take photos of the character by itself as opposed to being in the photo with the character). And in Tokyo, I admit that I'm a bigger fan of the free roaming character meets as the potential characters are awesome (e.g. Bernard and Bianca from The Rescuers).

I'm inclined to say that autograph hunting isn't done in the Asian parks, but someone more knowledgeable may disagree!

My kids got autographs from every character in Hong Kong Disneyland, even Lotso and Baymax! We seemed to be the only ones asking though, others just wanted a pic.

eta: in Hong Kong they signed in English.

The only problems we encountered were with the characters (princes and princesses) at the front of Disneyland park in Tokyo. They were forbidden to sign. When a friend tried anyway and Prince Phillip said: "Sure I'll sign your picture", he was corrected by the CM not to do it. The others all signed in English, as they saw we were Western, I guess. But I think I did see Chinese names for example in Shanghai, with natives.
It was more about getting the picture in Asia than getting the autograph.

My daughter has gotten autographs at Tokyo, Shanghai, and Hong Kong, and they've always been in English.

In the past we have bought autograph books in Tokyo and have gotten many characters to sign them, they all sign in English. In hong kong I have seen characters signing, and I'm pretty sure I saw the books being sold as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!