awesome ticket discounts

Folks, I believe Disney views the DVC as A SEPARATE BUSINESS. Yeah, I know that's not real logical from the outside, but lots of big corporations work that way.

When the passes were included (way back when) it's my understanding that DVC Realty, or whatever the name is, actually purchased the passes from the park to give to new members. It was an incentive, a sales tool. They could write it off as advertising. They don't need a sales tool now, they can barely get the things built fast enough before the last one sells out.

I don't think DVC management much cares how the parks are doing and I don't think park management pays much attention to how DVC is doing. That's probably also why we don't see much DVC merchandise out there. DVC is a realty management company that doesn't do logo merchandise. The part of Disney that does merchandise doesn't see a buying group (us) of 50,000 as large enough for them to make a whole separate line of merchandise. They get that many people in the parks each day.

Just my opinion.

I have to disagree with that last part...50,000 IS a big enough number to get Disney's interest. The real problem is that the 50,000 (which may be a much higher number when multiplied by guests of members) are already committed for the most part to going to Disney.

However if that horde of 50,000 chooses to do any part of their trip going over to competitors then Disney will think about it. After all if you take even one day to go somewhere else you will probably eat, drink and shop there as well...if you like whatever it was you did you'll probably become a repeat customer over that way. And...gasp...you might even buy into a competing point system.

As long as you don't stray Disney will do nothing. Perhaps what everyone should do is start commenting to CM's that you are headed over to Universal for the day....especially if they are offering discounts. Disney may pick up the hint.

Somewhat tangent to the topic, but:

I can say that a small pet peeve of mine is why after spending 20 something thousand dollars on a time share that does not appreciate over time...

Gee, I could swear the both the Disney and resale prices have been going up at a good clip.

Now, I DO think Disney would be wise to extend the AP FDlorida discount to us, but if they had a mind to do that, they would have done it when they created their new 5 year pass (whatever it's called). So, as nice as it is to keep dreaming...

and by the way, yes, I do find myself going to Disney parks less frequenty (and more to Universal) than if I had AP's, so I DO spend less money at Disney. And I buy 5 day hoppers instead of AP's. So, tat's lkess $$$ for Disney again.

But, I doubt they'll ever make that understanding leap.

Most timeshares depreciate worse than New Cars where one paid MSRP. They're usually worth about 50% when you drive them off the lot. Just to hold the original sales price and not even consider inflation, etc is a major plus. It's only by buying all 8 of my timeshare weeks/contracts resale that I feel I can turn them over for a profit or at least without a loss. Anyone who expected to break even on a resale (even at DVC) was smoking something. Sure it's worked out that way, at least for now but who could have predicted. If you'd have told me a year ago that I could sell my OKW contracts for around $65 pp, I would have flat called you crazy.:D

We make sure we use our passes sparingly. Last time we visited, we were at BVW 4 nights but only used 1 day of a 5 day hopper. We visited MGM->EPCOT->MGM->EPCOT (had to get all the fireworks in, too) all in one day. Lucky BWV is right in the middle. ;)

If the passes were not so expensive we would use them more freely. We usually spend plenty of money on meals when in the parks, much more then we do at the hotel. Hmmm...I wonder who from DVC is monitoring this forum? Are you listening???

The good thing about being a DVC member is that now you have money to spend on the fun part of the vacation. So park passes are the biggest expense we have but the parks are part of the whole experience we feel (who doesn't get moved emotionally by things like Illuminations- Reflections of Earth, etc.) It would be nice to get a discount, but when I look at my family enjoying these things, the money for the passes is worth it.

There are ways to absorb some of the cost. We use a Delta SkyMiles credit card that gives us free air miles. We accumulate so many miles between my business travel and paying our monthly expenses (groceries, gasoline, satellite tv, etc. ) with the card that we fly free each year to Orlando in December and drive the other trip in May. This radically cuts down on our travel costs.

Eating some meals like breakfast or lunch in your vacation resort is another way if you are being cost conscious.

I don't know... I think it can work out if you do a little planning and saving.

I, too, would love to see a bigger discount for DVC members. Back when the passes were included, my husband (who prefers golfing to the parks) would join us for dinner, shop a little and maybe do a lame attraction or two. Now with the prices so expensive, he rarely joins us at the parks....it seems to be too much of a waste of an admission just to go to dinner. Now we sometimes eat outside Disney in order to be together and this is all revenue that the Mouse is losing. As a shareholder as well as DVC member, I'd like to give my business to Disney, it's just not practical to spend close to $50 to attend a theme park to visit a restaurant.
Perhaps a twilight discount of some sort would be in order... either that or a more reasonable discount on the LOS pass. Hopefully the powers that be will read these posts and do something about it. They need to remember that we DVC'ers are their most loyal customers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter