[B]Add On Use Year[/B]

Mr. Disney 652

AK Opening Crew 1998 - Now DVC!
I want to add on points to our normal Aug use year. If I do that, say, today, do I get points for the current year, or do they only kick in next use year?

Any help would be great...
Thanks

I am not an expert, but I am pretty sure you would get the 2005 points which would expire 7/31 and get the new point allocation on 8/1. I also think that since you would be purchasing from Disney, they would also make a banking exception so that the 2005 points could be banked with no problems.

Add-on purchases will include points in the current Use Year. In the case of an August Use Year, current points will be valid thru July 31. DVC usually allows you to bank these points, even if past the normal banking deadline. I'd verify that with your guide, especially if your closing wouldn't occur until after August 1.

IMO, it's better to ask before proceeding and not be surprised (or disappointed) after the fact.

Enjoy the process! :)

Thanks to you both...

Do you know how long the process takes if we begin today...I thought pretty quickly?????

If you call today, and the points are available for your use year, AND you give them your credit card number to charge the deposit on, it should happen almost immediately. I bought 200 points last Friday and was able to book with them on Monday - and that was with starting a new membership. It may go even more quickly since you already have a membership #.

This is all supposing that you are adding on through Disney, not resale.

WebmasterDoc said:
DVC usually allows you to bank these points, even if past the normal banking deadline. I'd verify that with your guide, especially if your closing wouldn't occur until after August 1.

IMO, it's better to ask before proceeding and not be surprised (or disappointed) after the fact.
I second Doc's advice to verify with your guide that you will be allowed to bank the points, especially since you are very close to the end of your Use Year.

Last July I very nearly bought some Sep UY BWV points directly from Disney until my guide informed me that I would not be allowed to bank the current UY points that came with the contract because I was within 2 months of the end of the Use Year. But I was one of the unlucky few in this regard because since then, it seems that just about everybody has been allowed to bank the current year points. I ended up telling my guide "no thanks" and fortunately found a good resale contract with some banked current year points. Since I wasn't in a hurry, it ended up being the right move since I saved myself some money.

Good luck!

LisaS said:
I second Doc's advice to verify with your guide that you will be allowed to bank the points, especially since you are very close to the end of your Use Year.

Last July I very nearly bought some Sep UY BWV points directly from Disney until my guide informed me that I would not be allowed to bank the current UY points that came with the contract because I was within 2 months of the end of the Use Year. But I was one of the unlucky few in this regard because since then, it seems that just about everybody has been allowed to bank the current year points. I ended up telling my guide "no thanks" and fortunately found a good resale contract with some banked current year points. Since I wasn't in a hurry, it ended up being the right move since I saved myself some money.

Good luck!

My guide clearly told me that I wouldn't be able to bank the points that came in with my contract - the BWV one for 200 points I bought just a week ago with an August UY (only 7 weeks before the end of the UY). But I decided to buy it anyhow and try to rent them out. Tony Greenbanned saw my post and PM'd me to tell me that MS would waive the banking deadline. I got all prepared to ask MS to do that when I called them last Monday morning to make my first reservation. The FIRST thing the MS person asked me when she pulled up my number was if I wanted to bank those points because they waive the deadline with new members.

So, the rules may be different for add-on's than they are for new member contracts, but I would call MS, rather than talking to your guide, to find out. I was actually a bit ticked that my guide caused me three days worth of anxiety trying to figure out what I was going to do with those 200 points I thought I would have to use or lose by 7/31/06.

We just did an add on of 75 BWV points - June UY. We were on the waitlist and got the call on May 26th that our points came thru. We were given the '05 points and allowed to bank them (with just 5 days left in the UY). Gotta luv Disney!

We've been on the waitlist for December BCV points since April 14 and I am wishing and hoping we will get them before the end of November so we can get this year's points!!!! Good luck getting your points! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter