Babysitting... Price increase/schedule conversation has not come up... should I just wait and see?

Queen of the WDW Scene

It's only MY opinion, YOU decided to quote it.
I watch a now 17 month old girl usually 2 times per week and sometimes 3 times per week.

Since they found out they were having a second child they wanted me to watch both of them.
At the time I said I'd have to watch them both a couple times before I could commit.

Since then no conversation has been had about what a pay increase would look like.

Also I've watched the first child 3 days per week on a number of occasions even though the first time I did it I expressed it was more of a "if you absolutely need me" offer and so I would like to reestablish the no more than 2 days per week if I'll be watching both because I have found that at times 3 days per week with just one can become overwhelming when I have her for 9-10hrs each day.

They are the type that kinda keeps everything a "surprise" so I do think that they realize I will want a pay increase.

Should I just wait and see what happens with that part of it?

Also at what point should I express that I only want to watch them 2 days per week?
Next week when I have the first child 3 days?
More like when she is discussing dates that would include the second child?

BTW the second child is 2 weeks old and mom is headed back to work this week but will be taking the second child with her. I believe I am expected to start watching the second child the first week of the new year.

The reason I find it hard to bring up these conversations is because we are also family friends so I don't want things to feel awkward.

Last edited:
The more upfront you are, the better. No one likes being blind-sided by change.

If this is technically your "job" or even side job, you need to handle it professionally and write up a contract of what you're offering to do. Why a contract? Then no one can misinterpret what you've set as your terms. Both parties sign off, get it notarized if needed.

If you wait for them, you're on their terms. If you step up and make the first move, you're on your terms (for the most part).

Business is business, so write down your expectations. I think maybe you should ask to meet with them 10-15 minutes before your scheduled time to watch their child so you can discuss timing and payment terms for one child and two children, beginning on x date. It shouldn't be awkward since it's business.

You might also have a 2-day/week term, and then at an additional cost (maybe 1.5 times the normal day rate?) to watch their child on that extra day.

"Hey, this is the last week I'll be able to do three days; we'll have to stick to two from now on. If that coverage works for you, then let me know when you'll have a few minutes free to discuss the price change for once the little one gets here."

Then be prepared to tell them exactly how much more you want.

Looks like I forgot to mention that the second child is now 2 weeks old and mom is headed back to work this week but taking the second child with her and I believe I will be starting to watch both the first week of the new year.
I will go add this info so its not missed.

Looks like I forgot to mention that the second child is now 2 weeks old and mom is headed back to work this week but taking the second child with her and I believe I will be starting to watch both the first week of the new year.
I will go add this info so its not missed.

If everything is starting in the new year, NOW is the time to draft up the contract of what you're willing and able to do and for how much. This gives them plenty of time to think over your proposal/terms and give you a response. It also gives them time, should they decide to not continue with you, for them to find a service that suits them.

It can take a while to arrange other child care---so I would bring up the only two days per week (or two and if a third is needed time and a half as mentioned above if oyu are good with that) NOW and tell them that would start in the new year. Give them at miminum six weeks to sort things out for any change. While doing that, bring up pay rate. Do not ask what they think is fair, set your price.

Last edited:
Oh, come on now. They expect to add a newborn to your care and NOT have a price increase?

And your timeline is yesterday. When it was brought up you should have said something like "let me think on what that will do to the rate" then talked with them shortly after. It's a shame they didn't bring it up, but in the absence of them doing so, you really need to.

I'm sure they are expecting a price increase, but I would go ahead and decide how much you are going to charge for the second child and present it to the parents asap.

It can take a while to arrange other child care---so I would bring up the only two days per week (or two and if a third is needed time and a hald as mentioned above if oyu are good with that) NOW and tell them that would start in the new year. Give them at miminum six weeks to sort things out for any change. While doing that, bring up pay rate. Do not ask what they think is fair, set your price.
Totally ^^. You don't owe it to them to be on the hook for whatever their expectations are - they seem to be taking a lot for granted. (Didn't we discuss this with you here once before?)

What you do owe them, in the interest of fairness, is to very clearly and decisively tell them your terms of service - 2 days a week and which days those will be, the hours and the rate. In your case I would ask for at least double what you are getting now - no compromise. If they don't agree, give them a finite amount of time to make other arrangements for the child you already care for and don't take the baby for even one day.

Totally ^^. You don't owe it to them to be on the hook for whatever their expectations are - they seem to be taking a lot for granted. (Didn't we discuss this with you here once before?)

What you do owe them, in the interest of fairness, is to very clearly and decisively tell them your terms of service - 2 days a week and which days those will be, the hours and the rate. In your case I would ask for at least double what you are getting now - no compromise. If they don't agree, give them a finite amount of time to make other arrangements for the child you already care for and don't take the baby for even one day.
I’ve never heard of a part time sitter even doubling rates for an extra child. I see adds on local Facebook pages such as $12 for one, $16 for two or more. And the sitter doesn’t choose the days, just agrees or disagrees to them. I’m sure it’s based on the parents work schedule. Am I missing something? How are they taking her for granted, the new rate has yet to be discussed.

I’ve never heard of a part time sitter even doubling rates for an extra child. I see adds on local Facebook pages such as $12 for one, $16 for two or more. And the sitter doesn’t choose the days, just agrees or disagrees to them. I’m sure it’s based on the parents work schedule. Am I missing something? How are they taking her for granted, the new rate has yet to be discussed.
By assuming she's willing to take the infant for starters. Secondly by not already having all the arrangements agreed and confirmed. And as for the rate - if I remember the other thread correctly we're taking about a pittance. Every form of childcare I used "back in the day" charged way more for an infant than a toddler and the demands of a newborn and the stress of caring for one are very high.

If you are watching a child regularly in your home and you don't have a written contract with the parents that's not a good thing. You need to get a contract written up and have them sign it.

By assuming she's willing to take the infant for starters. Secondly by not already having all the arrangements agreed and confirmed. And as for the rate - if I remember the other thread correctly we're taking about a pittance. Every form of childcare I used "back in the day" charged way more for an infant than a toddler and the demands of a newborn and the stress of caring for one are very high.
Babysitting out of your home usually comes with a rate of $5 an hour here, compared to $12+ an hour if the sitter comes to your home. People use in home daycare vs. licensed centers or nannies to save money, it’s much cheaper (I’m assuming the OP isn’t licensed). If I was caring for someone’s child while they worked, and she was expecting another child, I’d assume she’d need care for that child, as well. Therefore, if I didn’t want to watch the second child, I’d let the parents know so they had time to find another sitter for the two kids.

You need to clearly state what you want. Most people are going to just pay you what they want unless you give them a price. I remember when my kids needed an after-school babysitter, and I asked DS11's bFF's mom who did a non-licensed daycare out of her house, I told HER what I could afford, and she agreed to it. She didn't have to, and she definitely could have told me what her charges are, but since she didn't, I paid her what I said I would. But on days they had a 1/2 day, I had no idea what to pay her, so I just added on $20. She never said anything, and now reading this, I wonder if it bothered her or if it met her expectation, or did she complain about me to all her friends and families (or on a message board?).

I used to do in-home daycare as well, when my kids were REALLY little, and I was not afraid to tell my parents what rate I charged, how much it would be if they went over in days/hours, and the notice I would need if they wanted an extra day so that I wasn't blindsided with a knock at my door on a day I wasn't expecting the child. If I didn't make MY expectations clear, the parents would take advantage in a heartbeat!

If intentions were made more clear in the beginning I would have had the conversation or pay/schedule then but they weren't and so I feel awkward bringing it all up now which is why I am asking for opinions at this point so thank you all for your thoughts. I know now that there has to be some kind of conversation.
At first it was just a day here and there when the father was picking up an extra day here and there.
That meant there was no set schedule to begin with.
Just a hey could you watch her next Thursday? Yes I'm free that day.
It also started out with shorter hours (like 7hrs).
She asked me if $25 per day was good and for me for 7hrs a few times per month yeah that was fine.
It then evolved into longer hours, more consistent days, and the same amount of pay.
I know for a fact they don't need me 3 days per week the majority of the time because they are both home on the particular day they are asking me to babysit. Of course I know that I need to make it totally clear that its a strict 2 days per week but I'm saying it is not going to be a factor in them keeping me on as a babysitter.
There is another complexity to this which is that they have 2 sitters.
The one that was supposed to be the more permanent one often wants to switch up the schedule which switches up my schedule of watching her and with work and babies I think the mom has a hard time keeping all the switches straight.
I think that makes me feel bad and agree to more because the other sitter seems to take them for a ride.

OP, You need to be very, VERY, upfront here.
Yes, it sounds like this couple are depending on your kindness.
HOWEVER.
Not just one, but TWO, infant toddlers, more than once or twice a week is, very simply, not a 'kindness'.
That is a real job, a real responsibility, with real job expectations, and work, involved.

I would let them know that you want to clarify things on this child care.
And, to be honest... I am not getting the vibe from you that you really and truly want, or are 'up for' this job.
If that is the case, be objective and honest with yourself, as well as them.

I am thinking about the idea of 'let's do this a few times on a trial basis'.
These are young children, and I am assuming that the parents have jobs with some real work requirements.
I would want to be respectful of their needs to have more available and committed child-care set up for their young children.
I would not assume that it would be easy, or even possible, for them to find adequate child care for an infant and a young toddler right away.
They need to know NOW.

In fact, if they heard you say that 'Maybe, if we give it a few days and it works out...' the reason you have not heard back from them is because they are actively looking to set up other arrangements.

As a parent, I can tell you that when it would come to my young infant child/children, 'maybe' would not be good enough.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter