Back from Costa Rica - My thoughts on Tauck Bridges vs. ABD

I'm so glad we went to Costa Rica with ABD when we did. Our itinerary which is now called a "Signature" trip was $2700 in 2008 when we took the trip and now it's $4169! Same accommodations and mostly the same activities. The only difference I see is the Aerial Tram instead of the Butterfly Gardens (which was eliminated last year due to the earthquake) and dinner on the first day is included. That must be some dinner! It's hard to understand that kind of price increase, especially considering that the economy was good in 2008 and not so great now. It's a wonderful trip though. I could spend about a month at the Arenal Kioro if I had the chance!

I tend to be more of a "lurker" on these boards but just wanted to thank you for posting your follow up. I was interested to find out your impressions between TB & ABD.

We are DVC owners and have been on a couple of DCL cruises but have wanted to venture out, now that our youngest is 9. We love Disney and have been interested in ABD for years, but we have 4 children so the cost of these trips is pretty hefty. We would love to go to Costa Rica so it's nice to know there are good options out there. I think our travel styles are similar in that as long as the guide is friendly and knowledgeable, we're all set. I don't necessarily need someone to engage my kids every step of the way.

If you don't mind me asking, what was the cost of your trip compared to ABD and how many are in your family?

Thanks again for your insight.

If you don't mind me asking, what was the cost of your trip compared to ABD and how many are in your family?

Thanks again for your insight.

Hi detroitdad!! There were 3 of us travelling and the difference in cost was huge! Tauck Bridges was $5300 cheaper, for 1 night longer, all meals included and all tips included...it really was a no-brainer for us to give TB a try, and we're so glad we did. For this itinerary, TB is the clear winner in my opinion. FYI...if you go in July or August you will get to see the nighttime viewing of the Atlantic sea turtles nesting....a once in a lifetime experience that ABD does not offer.

Hi detroitdad!! There were 3 of us travelling and the difference in cost was huge! Tauck Bridges was $5300 cheaper, for 1 night longer, all meals included and all tips included...it really was a no-brainer for us to give TB a try, and we're so glad we did. For this itinerary, TB is the clear winner in my opinion. FYI...if you go in July or August you will get to see the nighttime viewing of the Atlantic sea turtles nesting....a once in a lifetime experience that ABD does not offer.

Hi kjd469,

just wondering what the weather was like there in july? did it rain a lot?

thanks, ellen

Hi kjd469,

just wondering what the weather was like there in july? did it rain a lot?

thanks, ellen

When we were in Costa Rica with ABD in late July 2008 there was a shower each afternoon that lasted maybe 15 or 20 minutes on the San Jose and Arenal part of the trip. When we were at Manuel Antonio on the west coast it didn't rain at all.

FYI...if you go in July or August you will get to see the nighttime viewing of the Atlantic sea turtles nesting....a once in a lifetime experience that ABD does not offer.
Actually, for the past couple of years ABD has offered it on their gateway trip. :) It's on your third night while in Tortuguero.

"Guests can also opt to take a nighttime nature walk with a local expert to search for potential nesting sea turtles on the beach. See if you can spot the green turtles, giant leatherbacks, hawksbill or loggerhead turtles that nest on the nearby beaches."

Very neat that ABD has the option, as you need a guide to visit the beaches at night (no one is allowed on the beach without them after 6:00 pm).

So great to hear this. I love ABD but the prices have gone up too much. It's a shame since the children totally enjoyed it.

Per everyone's recommendations, we are staying 2 extra nights at Playa Hermosa prior to the Tauck Bridges Costa Rica tour on July 17. Since we have an extra day, + 2 half days before the tour starts, am thinking about doing some of the tours offered from the hotel, and wondering if anyone has recommendations or experience with them.
Our options are:
- Snorkeling - this is a given as we love to do this, unless others have done it and it's not that great. Will probably do that Sunday morning before the tour starts at dinner that night, giving us the afternoon for some beach time.
- Volcan Miravalles National Park tour
- Guaitil (an town with many local potters and artisans)
- Palo Verde National Park
- A "beach" tour - taking you to the beaches of Potrero, Flamingo, Conchal, Brasilito and Tamarindo
- Santa Rosa National Park

None of these are done on our tour, so am wondering which will give us a broader perspective of Costa Rica? I'll be with my DD-11.
Any ideas on this are welcomed!

We did our first ABD trip last summer, China, and are looking at what to do this summer and Tauck Bridges is in the running (due to price), a couple of questions on Tauck Bridges, do they take care of your luggage like ABD does (this seems very important to my husband??, LOL) and it also says on their website that all gratuities are included, does this mean for the guide as well? or is a tip expected at the end of the trip like ABD? I did not see any mention of this on their website.

We did our first ABD trip last summer, China, and are looking at what to do this summer and Tauck Bridges is in the running (due to price), a couple of questions on Tauck Bridges, do they take care of your luggage like ABD does (this seems very important to my husband??, LOL) and it also says on their website that all gratuities are included, does this mean for the guide as well? or is a tip expected at the end of the trip like ABD? I did not see any mention of this on their website.

Tauck takes care of your luggage exactly the same way as ABD. All gratuities including the guide (tour director is the Tauck term) are included in the price of the trip. The blurb about tipping is in the "Need to Know" section for each trip.

Per everyone's recommendations, we are staying 2 extra nights at Playa Hermosa prior to the Tauck Bridges Costa Rica tour on July 17. Since we have an extra day, + 2 half days before the tour starts, am thinking about doing some of the tours offered from the hotel, and wondering if anyone has recommendations or experience with them.
Our options are:
- Snorkeling - this is a given as we love to do this, unless others have done it and it's not that great. Will probably do that Sunday morning before the tour starts at dinner that night, giving us the afternoon for some beach time.
- Volcan Miravalles National Park tour
- Guaitil (an town with many local potters and artisans)
- Palo Verde National Park
- A "beach" tour - taking you to the beaches of Potrero, Flamingo, Conchal, Brasilito and Tamarindo
- Santa Rosa National Park

None of these are done on our tour, so am wondering which will give us a broader perspective of Costa Rica? I'll be with my DD-11.
Any ideas on this are welcomed!

One thing I missed on this trip is the chance to really shop for and look at some local crafts...Costa Rica just doesn't have the quantity of usual artisans that you find in most countries - so if it was me, I would definitey go to Guaitil to see the pottery and artisans there. They do have beautiful wood in Costa Rica and you can find some absolutely gorgeous vases, etc. made out of these unusual woods, but the shopping opportunities are very limited on tour.

We had a free day in Playa Hermosa the day before the tour began and just hung out on the beach and we rented jet skis through the hotel, and several in our group went out on a couple fishing boats, again through the hotel and at a very reasonable cost.

One thing I missed on this trip is the chance to really shop for and look at some local crafts...Costa Rica just doesn't have the quantity of usual artisans that you find in most countries - so if it was me, I would definitey go to Guaitil to see the pottery and artisans there. They do have beautiful wood in Costa Rica and you can find some absolutely gorgeous vases, etc. made out of these unusual woods, but the shopping opportunities are very limited on tour.

We had a free day in Playa Hermosa the day before the tour began and just hung out on the beach and we rented jet skis through the hotel, and several in our group went out on a couple fishing boats, again through the hotel and at a very reasonable cost.

Thanks kjd469! Your recommendation was one of the main reasons I booked this trip! It helps to know that there aren't many other opportunities to see local artisans on the tour. Like you, I'd very much like to shop a bit for cool local crafts - just not sure if that will hold my 11 yr old's attention as long as it will mine. But maybe she'll have to endure for my sake!
Guess no one on your tour did the snorkeling? Am wondering about the visibility, etc.
I think I'll have to do some more research on the various sites to see how to spend our free time the best.

On Tauck Bridges, tips are included. I do not believe they generally are on the other Tauck tours.

Our guides on our Tauck Bridges tour actually refused tips.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter