Bad check-in - pls tell me it isn't the norm

LilGMomDH

Earning My Ears
Please tell me the check-in process isn't always this bad!

We got to SSR (for our first trip 'home') around 9am on Friday, May 25th. The lady behind the check-in desk informed us that our room was already ready so we were thinking "Woohoo!". Figured that we'd be able to be at one of the parks in an hour. Boy were we wrong!! We were using the DDP this trip and somehow our oldest ds (5) was left off of the DDP, even though he was on our room ressie, so we had to add him. We were stayin for three days so we should have been getting 9 credits for TS, CS & Snack. The lady told us that we had 6, 6 and 9 credits. Not sure what math she was using but we were figuring that we were supposed to have 9,9, & 9 credits. Along came a manager after about 30 mintues, I guess the "we feel thrilled to be here" look had worn off of our faces by that time. The manager says that we should have 6 credits because we were checking out on Sunday. Our ressie was to go through Monday so we had another problem right off the bat. The manager fixes it and after at least 45 minutes we head to our room.

We get to our room and the carpets are in the process of being cleaned. Another manager was walking around at that time and stops to see how we are doing. We tell him that we are just happy to finally be checked in but we might have to come back to put our stuff in the room. Luckily the carpets were done in about five minutes so keeping two young children occupied in the hall wasn't that much of a chore. :) Finally get in the room and despite the almost overwhelming smell of carpet cleaner we were very very happy to be in the room. The room was very clean and we had a nice view out of the back of a little courtyard and we could see a little bit of DTD through the trees & shrubs.

After unpacking we head back up to AP to check out using the DDP (we are DDP newbies). Buy a bag of white cheddar popcorn (great deal for a snack credit!) and when we got our reciept back it said we had five snack credits left. Again we go back to the funny math - 3 days should equal 9 snack credits.... check-in gave us 5 credits for 3 days. Head back up to the front desk to get the DDP straightened out... another 15 minutes and we are finally ready to head to a park.

We loved the DDP except running into the problem that some of the snack vendors in the parks said that their machines weren't working properly so we had to pay OOP instead of being able to use the DDP. Ate entirely too much during our trip, but liked the DDP and will more than likely use it again in October.

I am hoping that our bad check-in was more or less an isolated experience and that next time we check-in that it'll take less than an hour, preferably fifteen minutes or less. After being in a car for six hours the kids, and us, are ready to hit the parks at full speed.

Clarification:
We were there for three nights and should have been getting 9 total credits per person (3 TS, 3 CS, & 3 Snacks). The lady checking us in was saying that we were going to have 6 total credits per adult and 9 total credits for our ds. After we bought the first snack the receipt said we had 5 snack credits total left (should have been 8 after one purchase). Other than that glitch and the long check-in time it was a great first DVC experience.

Sorry for your experience - we've never had a check in that took tht long, even when we've had the DDP. I really doubt it is the norm or even common.

As a point of clarification, the DP gives you 1 TS, 1CS and 1 snack per person for each night of your stay. (I was confused because you said yu were staying for 3 days. Not sure if that meant 2 nights/3 days or 3 nights /4days) . Anyway, if you are staying 2 nights/3days, you each get 2 TS, 2 CS & 2 snacks and if your stay if for 3 nights/4 days, you each get 3 TS, 3 CS & 3 snacks.

Not sure how you could end up with 9, 9 & 6, though LOL. Something was sure not right with that!

Hope all the back luck is over with - have a great stay.

We loved the DDP except running into the problem that some of the snack vendors in the parks said that their machines weren't working properly so we had to pay OOP instead of being able to use the DDP. Ate entirely too much during our trip, but liked the DDP and will more than likely use it again in October.

We had a DDP nightmare @ VWL in January & were told it was a computer software update problem. I don't even know how to explain everything that was wrong with it. After spending close to an hour on the phone in EPCOT trying to get it fixed (unfortunately, we did not notice there was trouble while we at the resort) and being assured it was fixed we found out at dinner that it was still not fixed. Very embarassing!!

Concierge @ VWL finally told us to just room charge everything and then they took off the meals and credits manually somehow. I attributed the problems to the DDP computer system and not to the resort - since it seems all the resort does is the printing up, rather than programming, of the KTTW. Still, it is quite annoying when the plan does not work smoothly.

Did you use a DDP in coordination with a DVC membership? if so could you link it. I am in the process of getting into the DVC family and understood that it could not be used with it.

Did you use a DDP in coordination with a DVC membership? if so could you link it. I am in the process of getting into the DVC family and understood that it could not be used with it.

Yes- if you are staying at a DVC resort on points you can purchase the DDP. It is around $39 per adult/ $12 per child per night.

I elected the DDP two years ago and loved it. The only problem was using up all of the snack credits the last day so they would not get wasted. We will be using it when visiting w/ DVC. I used the credits for all of my character dining(mucho $$). Saved me big time. Thanks.

We had huge problems in Dec with our DPP. I went to the desk at SSR several times to try and straighten out. In the end, we ended up with more credits than we paid for. I told them about it, but they didn't seem to care, and at that point, neither did we. I think the software that links the DPP with our DVC reservations isn't up to the job.

I think the computer glitch with your DDP threw the entire thing out of wack, usually check in's are pretty painless. Glad you had a great time anyway.

One caveat: Although you will not pay until check-in, you MUST add the DDP to a DVC reservation BEFORE check-in, so be sure to include it on your reservation ahead of time. I understand you can add the dining on to your reservation and then decline it upon check-in should you change your mind, so if you think you *might* use it, include it on the res.

sorry you had problems. I don't do the DDP, I can't eat that much, and I big and fat. anyway, I think it was a fluke because I have checked in to SSR 5 times now and everytime has been quick and painless. Even when a ME bus let out in front of me, a ton of CM's came out and got the lines moving. I wish VWL was as fast as SSR.

anyway, look on the bright side, you had a good clean room, and despite the 1 hour checkin, you still got your room 6 hours earlier than you could have.

We had trouble with our check in at BCV earlier this month. It didn't have anything to do with the DDP but rather with not all of our nights being linked properly by MS. (I had to book day-by-day through a waitlist.) Our check in took over an hour too but that was unusual. Usually we are checked in within 15-20 minutes max. Next time you'll probably have a quick and painless check in.

Donna

My sister had a very painful checkin experience at BCV

She did not arrive until 4:30 pm to check in.

When she went to check in for some reason they could not link her reservations (she had 2 because 2 nights were on waitlist that came through)

Then her son's name was not showing on one of the reservations so that mixed up at the DDP credits.

Next the girl at checkin cut the keys and could only do that for 2 nights (the waitlist ones) and of course only 2 nights DDP

She said my sister would have to come back and get keys recut for the other 3 nights

A manager overheard and said that is not satisfactory and would fix it

After about 2 hours (by that time kids were restless and they were starving

The manager said there was a computer glitch and told them to go have dinner on them

She told them where they were going and the manager said they would take care of bill.

When she was done eating, she tried to leave and manager would not let her leave until she paid. She explained what had happened and they would not believe her

She sat in lobby trying to reach the manager Hazel that was supposed ot be helping her out

About 1/2 hour later the manager actually came to the restaurant and told them they were paying for it!

Another 1/2 hour the lady said she got everything overridden in system Finally got into room after 8:00 pm that night

Thought everything was okay until her husband called her and they told him they were checked out after 2 nights. Also maid came to clean room as a checkout

She went to use dining credits after 2 nights and restaurant told her she had none left. So now they charge dit back to her room and had to go to Front Desk once again for another hour before they straightened out

They had only given her dining credits for the 2 nights not the other 3!

Eventually thought got things straightened out but after getting home realized they charged her credit card 3 times for 2 nights DDP and 3 times for 3 nights of DDP!!

We had 10 people in 2 two bedrroms in Dec all on the DDP and had no problems... except it was to much food and we like to eat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter