Bag delivery disappointment

Status
Not open for further replies.
When we were there last week i wanted to schedule bell services to pick up our bags at 5am as our tragical express pickup was 5:15am. When i called bell services no one answered the phone. So i walked down to the FD, waited in line for 20 minutes and i was the only one in line, only to find out the FD has nothing to do with Bell services. I had to talk to them directly. Well they were not answering their phone. Apparently bell services are from 7am to 11pm and outside those hours ME people answer (or don't) those calls. I asked them what happens if no one answers the phone?? So FD said they will just be patient. I called when i got all the way back to my room and fell asleep waiting for them to answer the phone! How frustrating. We ended up just taking our luggage down ourselves but all of that could have been avoided if the bell services person we spoke to earlier told us their hours were 7-11. I told them i wanted a bag pick up at 5am...no problem just call down tonight to make to schedule it. lesson learned

Well technically 2 am and 6:30 am are both "the morning". :-)

Perhaps a direct conversation with Bell Services would allow you to request a time for luggage delivery?
Good point.
I've always used the phrase "hold my bags till I call for them" and put out our Do Not Disturb sign, just in case during a shift change the instruction/note for our bags got overlooked and some well intended soul brought our bags thinking they were doing us a favor.

When we were there last week i wanted to schedule bell services to pick up our bags at 5am as our tragical express pickup was 5:15am. When i called bell services no one answered the phone. So i walked down to the FD, waited in line for 20 minutes and i was the only one in line, only to find out the FD has nothing to do with Bell services. I had to talk to them directly. Well they were not answering their phone. Apparently bell services are from 7am to 11pm and outside those hours ME people answer (or don't) those calls. I asked them what happens if no one answers the phone?? So FD said they will just be patient. I called when i got all the way back to my room and fell asleep waiting for them to answer the phone! How frustrating. We ended up just taking our luggage down ourselves but all of that could have been avoided if the bell services person we spoke to earlier told us their hours were 7-11. I told them i wanted a bag pick up at 5am...no problem just call down tonight to make to schedule it. lesson learned
Curious, which resort? I think some do have hours and some work 24 hours

So we arrived last night to the Orlando airport at 8:45 and rode ME to POR arriving around 10 pm. Since I wanted my kids to get as much sleep as possible, I asked the front desk to hold our bags at bell services until morning. Around 2 am my Mom woke me because she heard voices and knocking on our door. When it didn't stop, we got a little freightened (2 women 2 small kids being awoken at 2 am) and called the front desk who called security. They called us back 10 minutes later and told us it was our bags but they had already left. I explained to them that I had asked the front desk to alert bell services to keep our bags overnight. Now, bell services just called our room at 6:30 am (5:30 am our central time) and woke our kids up, to ask us what to do with our bags. Am I wrong to be irritated? I suppose I should have called bell services rather than front desk but they said they'd communicate and GEEZE Seriously?
I'm sorry that happened- I'd complain to the front desk if I were you.

You mention that you told the front desk to hold the bags, but the people who manage bags are bell services, at a different counter. When I've told bell services to hold my bags until morning, I've never had a problem. And I agree with a PP that the way to deal with the front desk is in person, not over the phone.

Around 2 am my Mom woke me because she heard voices and knocking on our door. When it didn't stop, we got a little freightened (2 women 2 small kids being awoken at 2 am) and called the front desk who called security.
Personally I wouldn't have gotten freightened especially if there is the peephole to look through to see who it is. I'm thinking they were going through the luggage and saw that yours hadn't been delivered and so they were delivering it. I would have been annoyed at someone knocking at my door at 2am for sure but I would look out and see who it is.

I explained to them that I had asked the front desk to alert bell services to keep our bags overnight.
Yeah..they didn't get the messaged relayed to them is the likely answer.

Now, bell services just called our room at 6:30 am (5:30 am our central time) and woke our kids up, to ask us what to do with our bags.
Well 6:30am might be early but it isn't so early at the same time especially when people get up and going to the parks. Hold til morning is too vague for them to know when you actually want them anyways.

Am I wrong to be irritated?
Yeah I think you could be irritated for the 2am wake up but the 6:30am would have been reasonable IMO given the atmosphere of WDW. Maybe if the 2am wake up hadn't happened the 6:30 wouldn't have been much of an issue.

FWIW I do agree calling the front desk isn't the right route (personally going down to speak to whomever can physically relay the message is the right route). I know when I used the MDE app and used the 'call resort' option to get my room number (as it was 4:30ishpm I think and I was curious if my room had been assigned yet as I did Online Checkin) and I know for sure it was a call center I was getting (I'd also heard of this on the DIS previously too about getting call center).

The only time I know we actually got someone at the resort was when we called Housekeeping on the phone to get toilet paper (we were there during Irma and needed to stock up) and like 10 mins later we got toilet paper delivered to the room.

You're at a Disney resort... I would not have been scared that someone was knocking on your door.
You could have opened it with the deadbolt on.

Also its very possible that your luggage was already being loaded for delivery before the front desk could inform them.

Not saying it doesn't stink but just more than stuff happens.

You can't open a door with a deadbolt on. That's why it's called a deadbolt. Maybe with the chain, yes. Bolt, no. Even then, I still wouldn't. Food and wine just ended, who's to say someone's not a little too drunk coming back from Epcot and went to the wrong room. If they're an aggressive drunk and you open the door, yeah... you see where this is headed.

Anyway, OP did a good thing in not opening the door even though there is a peephole.

You can't open a door with a deadbolt on. That's why it's called a deadbolt. Maybe with the chain, yes. Bolt, no. Even then, I still wouldn't. Food and wine just ended, who's to say someone's not a little too drunk coming back from Epcot and went to the wrong room. If they're an aggressive drunk and you open the door, yeah... you see where this is headed.

Anyway, OP did a good thing in not opening the door even though there is a peephole.[/QUOTE
You can open the door slightly with the latch on just like you can with a chain.
I think it was irrational to be scared. just my opinion.

Anyway, OP did a good thing in not opening the door even though there is a peephole.
I didn't say anything about opening the door. I just said I wouldn't be freightened especially if I could see out the peephole. In your scenario it would be quite easy to see if it was drunkard versus someone who probably has some sort of identifier from the resort.

I mean my immediate thought it to look at who may be on the other side of the door rather than just assuming it was someone who I appearantly need to be freightened of and then never even looking.

I didn't say anything about opening the door. I just said I wouldn't be freightened especially if I could see out the peephole. In your scenario it would be quite easy to see if it was drunkard versus someone who probably has some sort of identifier from the resort.

I mean my immediate thought it to look at who may be on the other side of the door rather than just assuming it was someone who I appearantly need to be freightened of and then never even looking.

I didn't quote you.

At 2 am without glasses i wasn't exactly in my prime for thinking straight. And looking out a peephole at someone I don't recognize... I couldn't look down and see a suitcase. My other option was to tell "who is it?" And wake everyone up. Anyway, I'll file this in my memory banks for lesson learned.

At 2 am without glasses i wasn't exactly in my prime for thinking straight. And looking out a peephole at someone I don't recognize... I couldn't look down and see a suitcase. My other option was to tell "who is it?" And wake everyone up. Anyway, I'll file this in my memory banks for lesson learned.
I gotcha on the glasses. I'm blind as a bat without mine on lol and I swear I can never find them when I need to get up in the wee hours to go to the bathroom.

If I recall correctly, the value resorts do not have 24-hour bell services but the other categories do. I know for sure the deluxe resorts have 24-hour service. I think the value resorts even call it something else.

If I recall correctly, the value resorts do not have 24-hour bell services but the other categories do. I know for sure the deluxe resorts have 24-hour service. I think the value resorts even call it something else.

Luggage Assistance. And no, typically the values do not run it 24/7. It can vary, but I wouldn't depend on it being always open.

I think these boards are helpful in reminding us that Disney hotels are not like regular hotels. In a similar priced hotel elsewhere in Orlando the front desk phone is often the front desk, and the customer is not expected to only contact the front desk by standing in front of them. In other high end Orlando hotels the front desk and the bell desk communicate regularly, so requests at the front desk are relayed to bell services. It sounds like regular Disney customers know that is not how Disney works.

And she doesn’t indicate a dnd sign was left out. If you don’t leave that out, you’re not protecting yourself from fails in communication. It’s not shame, it’s fact.

And again it’s good info for her in the future if she didn’t put it out, and excellent info for others who might not think of it.
Haha, this is very true. We leave oyr DnD sign up 24/7 unless we want housekeeping. We are so diligent about its usage, in fact, that we frequently forget to take it off our door if we're headed out to a park our first evening when our luggage might be delivered. It always ends up at bell services, and I have to call to get it delivered to the room.

This whole thing made me laugh. The very night you were not wanting your luggage, @susanh, I was in my room wishing I had been smart enough to remove my DnD sign so that my luggage would have been delivered to my room. It was a late night for us once we finally got our luggage up to our room.

Other hotels are individual units. They're not operating twenty properties in the most efficient manner possible.

We've been to WDW and have stayed onsite over 30 times. One of the most important lessons I've learned over the years is that the right hand does not know what the left hand is doing. Sometimes CM's don't even know proper protocols in their own departments. So, asking one department to communicate a message to another department is, as you found out, a risky move. On any given trip, I hope I do not have to speak with anyone to get anything sorted out and, if I do, I go directly to the department that handles the issue. I try to take Disney out of the equation as much as I can. We don't check bags, we don't use DME and I no longer do grocery deliveries because I always have to spend time trying to track them down when, on one occasion, the bags were literally right in front of their faces in the Bell Services room (this is after two days of being told there were no bags . . . ). Anyway, yes you should be annoyed, but, unfortunately, I'm not surprised this happened.

Yep to that. I've called the "front desk" from the room phone and have found them to be very unhelpful as they clearly are uninformed. When asked specific questions, they put you on hold and have to call someone else for the answer, so they are completely useless in my book. What was annoying was that this past summer i tried calling housekeeping directly (using the housekeeping icon) and got the call center, this was at WL.

To op, I don't blame you for being annoyed, I'd personally be quite pissed. and I agree 630 is very early for those (like me) who sleep in on vacation. But yes as other posters have said i always unplug the phone and put the do not disturb sign on the door as I have heard this happen to other people,like Disneywishes said above, I don't find it surprising.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter