Beach Stay on the Way...

mickeyfan0805

DIS Veteran
I know there is a very similar thread going on, but I didn't want to derail that one with my specific details. There's some possibility we might make the trek from WI to the Fort again this summer. If we do, we're thinking we might want to stop for 3-4 nights for a few days at the beach on the way. We could stop somewhere in Alabama or the panhandle, go further down the gulf coast, or even swing over to the Atlantic side. Our kids will be 15, 14 and 11. Any suggestions for good beachfront or beach access campgrounds?

Last edited:
If you want Gulf front, check out Camp Gulf in Destin. There's also Emerald Coast RV Resort on the Bay side, with Gulf access.

If you are coming from WI, I imagine you are coming south the same way I do, through central IL and eventually pick up I-75 in Chattanooga.

I am always looking for "on the beach" places to camp. Camping on the Gulf in Destin is quite a bit out of the way for a Disney trip. The Beach Front sites also cost more than a Meadows Premium and are very tight. I've stayed Beach Front there a number of times, but the size and cost can be a shock.

A little less out of the way when heading to (or coming from) the Fort is Beverly Beach Camptown on the Atlantic side about half way between Daytona and Ste. Augustine. It isn't real big, but is very much beach front. The sites sit above the beach with a sea wall and stairs to get to the water. Here's a pic. About twice the room of CampGulf and about $50/night cheaper.

From my house, outside StL, it only adds 70 miles to a trip to the Fort. Destin adds 170 miles.

Beverly.jpg

j

@Teamubr - That looks like a beautiful spot. We are on the very eastern edge of WI (my office is 2 blocks from Lake Michigan), so my route to Chattanooga usually depends on what day/time I'm travelling. Destin is more out of the way, but actually breaks the trip up a bit better (nearly 1,300 miles to Flagler Beach would make for a long 2 days). I've even considered heading over to Myrtle Beach because of it's suitability for our kids, but that puts even another 100 miles over and above the Destin distance.

I've never been to Camp Gulf but I have a friend that works there. She is always posting photos and it's absolutely beautiful. It looks like a lovely campground and have a gorgeous beach.

And IMO Gulf coast beaches are overall nicer/better than Atlantic beaches. :beach: Although one can find entertainment just about anywhere. ED

Keep in mind that if you decide to stay at Camp Gulf, on a beach front site, no pets are allowed and there's no sewer hookups. Pets aren't allowed on any beaches here in Okaloosa county. They do allow pets & have sewer hookups on all of the other sites. We are local and have stayed at CG before. It's a nice campground and it's great to be able to walk along the beach. Some of the sites are a little tight, but the staff will help if you need it.

Keep in mind that if you decide to stay at Camp Gulf, on a beach front site, no pets are allowed and there's no sewer hookups. Pets aren't allowed on any beaches here in Okaloosa county. They do allow pets & have sewer hookups on all of the other sites. We are local and have stayed at CG before. It's a nice campground and it's great to be able to walk along the beach. Some of the sites are a little tight, but the staff will help if you need it.

Thanks. Sadly, our pup can't take long trips with us anymore, as our transition from a Suburban to a pick-up took away his place to ride. He only goes with us on local trips where we have 2 vehicles. As for sewer - that's always good to know. We tend to try to have sewer for anything more than a 2 night stay. In truth, this is all contingent on some major shake-ups at DW's work that are far from clear. So, by the time they figure it out, I may be looking for anywhere I can scrape up a site!

A little less out of the way when heading to (or coming from) the Fort is Beverly Beach Camptown on the Atlantic side about half way between Daytona and Ste. Augustine. It isn't real big, but is very much beach front. The sites sit above the beach with a sea wall and stairs to get to the water. Here's a pic. About twice the room of CampGulf and about $50/night cheaper.

That is out favorite down there. Its been a while since we last stayed there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!