Beers available on Danube river cruise

hamilton23

Mouseketeer
it looks like beer and wine are included with meals on the boat. Does anyone know which beers they typically have available on the boat? I'm a bit of a beer dork so the more exotic the better

Well you will be well served with local 1st class Germany / Bavarian beer

Unlikely to be served USA beers

The same goes for Wine . Local wine all the way

Well you will be well served with local 1st class Germany / Bavarian beer

Unlikely to be served USA beers

The same goes for Wine . Local wine all the way
How do you know this? Have you sailed with AMAWaterways?

Sayhello

it looks like beer and wine are included with meals on the boat. Does anyone know which beers they typically have available on the boat? I'm a bit of a beer dork so the more exotic the better

hamilton, I've done the Tauck version of this trip, not the ABD, so I can't promise it's the same. However, I can say that on that river cruise, the beer selection was of good but limited quality. Nothing like the craft beer situation here in the US.

My husband is a bit of a beer geek as well, and he quite enjoyed talking with the bartender on board. Unlike a big cruise ship, the river cruise boats do a lot of replenishing of local sources, so once he realized there was an interest, the bar tender sought out local bottles each day while we were docked, and enjoyed surprising my husband with them each night. I would imagine the AMA situation is not so different from the Tauck boats, and if you explain your interest at the bar, you may be similarly rewarded. Of course, when you are on land in the little towns along the Danube, you will mostly just order "beer" and get a choice merely of light or dark.

As a side note, if you want to explore more beer-centric travel, I encourage you to look up Bon Beer Voyage. We did a barge tour of Belgium and France with them in 2016 that was over-the-top amazing. Accommodations were nothing like you get on the river cruise boats, but the brewery tours, beers, and meals, more than made up for that.

I’m having a hard time remembering, mostly drank wine on board! I believe they were mostly local brews from Austria and Germany. We did really enjoy the Aldsberger (sp?) brewery tour which was guided by the Baron who owns it! I believe we had beer from that brewery on board as well (he doesn’t export to the US).

In general, beer attitudes are different in US vs. Europe. The US focuses on wide selection, while Europe focuses on the proper beer for the current season.

Most of Europe considers that water (bottled) and wine is the most appropriate drink for dinner.

-Paul

Would love to hear your thoughts on the Danube River Cruise. We are going in September.

Thanks,

I think the first Danube travelers of the summer are traveling this weekend. Please post the beer options on the ship if you get a chance. Thanks.

We’ll be boarding later today. I can tell you from the last few days in the Czech Republic, we haven’t had a bad beer... And Budweiser has a WHOLE new meaning. It’s a dark Czech beer that some Americans took the name and tried to re-create, and ended up ruining (in my opinion.)

Just boarded, here is the list. Only 1 on tap, one guy said it reminded him of a Stella... they said wines change with regions as we travel, beers do not... We’ll sample more tonight I’m sure

Attachments

• 66A73A1D-FE98-4F64-B67D-58D233B47914.jpeg
    66A73A1D-FE98-4F64-B67D-58D233B47914.jpeg
    40.6 KB · Views: 36
If the Rhine is the same, I'm glad I did some pretty good sampling in Iceland and Switzerland prior to the cruise. I'll post if they are the same varieties.

Just boarded, here is the list. Only 1 on tap, one guy said it reminded him of a Stella... they said wines change with regions as we travel, beers do not... We’ll sample more tonight I’m sure
Only one beer on tap? That's a bit disappointing. They must not know that I am coming in two weeks. Hopefully they change it out regularly, as I have hat bitburger and it is basically like Stella which is like European Coors.

The list has prices, I thought that beer and wine were included?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!