Beginner DSLR for Alaska Cruise

Vicki106

Mouseketeer
I haven't used anything except a point and shoot camera and my Samsung Galaxy phone to take photos since high school, I am planning to purchase a DSLR for photos on our upcoming (June 2018) Alaska Cruise. My thinking that the sights in Alaska deserve better that my P&S and phone pics. I think I should get the new camera sooner rather than later, so I have a chance to see how much I remember from my high school years and get used to the settings . . . before our cruise. I am looking at one of the bundles for either a Nikon D3400 or Canon EOS Rebel T6. Both bundles come with 2 lenses - 18-55 mm and 70-300 mm.

Any suggestions or guidance that you all could provide about which camera you'd suggest or other things I should be looking into, would be greatly appreciated. TIA

For "beginners"... my top recommendation is the Sony A6000. Technically, it is "mirrorless" and not a "dSLR" -- For your type of uses, there is no difference. They use the same type of sensor, they produce the same image quality.
The differences are basically:
- dSLR uses an optical viewfinder, the A6000 has a high definition electronic viewfinder. That makes the viewfinder of the A6000 much brighter and larger. It let's you check your exposure prior to taking the image. It lets you use the viewfinder for video (on dSLRs, you can't use the viewfinder for video). On professional cameras, there is an argument that an optical viewfinder is superior (professional cameras have large bright viewfinders... but entry level dSLRs have dark tiny optical viewfinders)
- dSLRs have superior battery life, because the electronic viewfinder draws battery power constantly. So you need an extra 1-2 charged batteries for the A6000 to be safe. You may only get 300 images on 1 battery, as opposed to 500-800 images from a traditional entry level dSLR
- For your purposes, the autofocus on the A6000 will be much faster and more accurate than the entry level dSLRs. It will also be much simpler to use autofocus -- with focus points over nearly the entire frame. While the entry level dSLRs will only be able to focus in the middle of the frame.
- The A6000 will be more compact and lighter than the dSLRs
- The dSLRs have more available for $3,000+ lenses. But for your regular use consumer lenses, they have basically the same offerings. (I'd buy or rent the Sony 10-18, Sony 16-70/4 and/or the 35/1.8 and/or the 50/1.8, and the 70-300mm for Alaska).
-The A6000 will have vastly superior "live view" -- the ability to shoot from the LCD instead of the viewfinder. On the A6000, switching between the LCD and the viewfinder is seamless. On the dSLRs, you need to push a button to change, and then the focus becomes very slow on the LCD with the D3400 and the T6.
- A dSLR will turn on instantly... the A6000 will take about 1 second to start up.
- Image quality is the same..... The D3400 and the A6000 have slightly better image quality than the T6.. but for basic auto-type shooting, you won't see any differences
- The A6000 can shoot at a much higher frame rate (12 fps) if you are trying to get an eagle in flight, etc.

If you do stick to the D3400 and the T6..... They are both very solid cameras, that offer good bang for the buck. But be careful of the packaged lenses. For the Nikon, make sure you are getting the newest AF-P lenses. At a minimum, make sure you're getting the VR lenses.
On Canon, make sure they often make packages cheap by giving their old 70-300 which is an absolutely horrible lens.

For the Sony A6000... similar story. They will try to package it with the 16-50, which is a pretty poor lens but has the selling point of being very compact. And their 55-210... which is again very compact, but very poor quality. "ok" for every day use, but I would rent or buy the vastly superior 70-300 or 100-400 for a trip like Alaska.

And no matter which camera you get --- Read books and take classes. If you think you're just going to set the camera on "auto".... skim the manual.. and play around a little.... You'll likely be disappointed. I teach a beginner photography class.... Every semester, have my students are adults who have owned their dSLR for years.. who finally want to really learn how to use it, in anticipating of a safari, or Alaska cruise, etc. Today's phones are great cameras --- if you took the iPhone 8plus, and ripped out the phone -- it would still be a $500+ camera.
In "auto"... the iphone 8 is probably a better camera than a $1500 dSLR in "auto"
(By "auto" -- I mean untrained use of pure auto, with the basic kit lens, with no knowledge of how to post-process photos, shoot raw, etc).
With the right self-education, your photos will be far superior to your phone. Without the education, your phone photos will be better than any other camera.

I'm going to assume your budget is ~$500 based on your kit references. While the Sony would be a good choice, that price point is pretty much body only for the Sony. Sad to say, this price point is getting to be minimum buy-in to a decent, basic camera. Based on your choices, I would say the Nikon.

Yes, Havoc always makes some good points but my impression is this will be the last camera you buy for the next 5-10 years. you're buying because you want some better image quality. But photography isn't a major hobby of yours. This is my read based on your post. If so, don't break the bank and go ahead with one of the kits. As long as you take the time to learn and put some thought into that shutter release, you'll get great results. I'm not sure that going above your price point, even in a significant amount, would make much difference in those results based on what I'm reading into your post.

Most expensive purchase is the one you make twice. You can get the Sony kit for within $100-$150 of the Nikon/Canon kits... if you can wait till after Thanksgiving, the price will drop significantly.
In the end... all 3 choices can produce virtually identical photos. It starts to depend just which camera you’re comfortable with — in terms of carrying it, holding it and actually using it.
And while they all can produce virtually identical photos when used correctly, there comes the question of which is easiest to use correctly.
For example... I had a student who was using an Canon T5– more than half her photos were blurry because they weren’t properly focused. She tried the Sony A6000... and every image was properly focused. She could have gotten the same results with the T5, except she had trouble understanding how to control the focus system... was therefore keeping it in auto..and the focus points weren’t spread far enough over the frame. When keeping the a6000 in auto, there were focus points over the entire frame and the camera was automatically finding the faces.

Similarly, I had a student who tried the a6300 and hated it — his hands were too big for the small buttons and small controls.. so he went with a Canon 7dmarkii.

In the end, I wouldn’t let $100-$200 stop you from getting the right camera for you. I don’t think any one option is clearly superior to the others. Ideally, you’d take each choice for a 2 week test run! But that’s not realistic.

Just know that none of the choices are “wrong” but some of the choices may be better for your individual needs than other choices.

I haven't used anything except a point and shoot camera and my Samsung Galaxy phone to take photos since high school, I am planning to purchase a DSLR for photos on our upcoming (June 2018) Alaska Cruise. My thinking that the sights in Alaska deserve better that my P&S and phone pics. I think I should get the new camera sooner rather than later, so I have a chance to see how much I remember from my high school years and get used to the settings . . . before our cruise. I am looking at one of the bundles for either a Nikon D3400 or Canon EOS Rebel T6. Both bundles come with 2 lenses - 18-55 mm and 70-300 mm.

Any suggestions or guidance that you all could provide about which camera you'd suggest or other things I should be looking into, would be greatly appreciated. TIA

I agree with the other posters, they're similar but different in features (and size) so go to a store and check them out. And don't necessarily think "DSLR", the mirrorless models are smaller and lighter with the same features as a DSLR and can easily use DSLR lens.
I used a Canon mirrorless camera this summer in Alaska, it's pocket size for the "walk around" shots and with the big telephoto lens good for wildlife (and sports back in the lower 48)
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Thank you for all of these great suggestions and comments! I will definitely check out the Sony a6000. The price difference wouldn't stop me from purchasing it, and I enjoy taking photos, I just have limited time (outside of vacations) for more than point and shoot photography. Although, maybe once I have a nice camera to use, and relearn on, I might make time for photos and use it when I'm taking photos of the kids playing soccer ..... I really appreciate your input! :thanks:

Worth looking into used as well. I bought a used D200 andlove the thing. Going used may let you get into a higher end body. For some reason I always went with Nikon (think it's because what my parents used back in the day).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter