Being a Disney Fan and Single...not easy!

I definitely get weird looks when I tell people about my Disney obsession, but I don't think it's ever put anyone off. Then again, I unfortunately do think it's seen as weird for a man to be into Disney, but not a woman (I don't get that but whatever). I just go solo or with the family (they get it) if my partner isn't into it! I am sorry though that this has become an issue for you. Maybe one day you'll find someone more like minded. Until then, have fun and don't let it get you down too much.

I think part of the social stigma for single men comes from the fact that most see it as a kids park only, and a lot of people would assume because of that misplaced assumption a single man must have nefarious purposes in going. Just a thought but a lot of people do seem to want to think the worst of people.

Here in the UK I get the same reaction from my family, they assume WDW is for 6 yr old girls wanting to be princesses and can't understand why I would want to go. Come to think of it, when I mention I love video games they think I'm running around squashing goombas and I'm like 'ppfftt I'm saving the galaxy from reapers and being generally epic actually'. They're surprisingly unwilling to expand their horizons. <_<
It's entirely okay for grown adults to like these things.

But then honestly I would have had the same reaction a few years ago too. I was always a Warner Bros kid (meep meep!) and was never into Disney. Then a Youtuber I follow went there on holiday and I was gobsmacked at how awesome the parks were. The hotels too...the whole experience was unlike anything I'd seen before. Two years later and I love watching The Tim Tracker and now have a Florida bucket list. Ppl here just think it's childish and make judgements about the parks, probably because the overwhelming amount of Brits going there are taking their kids, and going for their kids. WDW being an adult attraction too isn't well known here.

Anywho....OP if a woman is that judgmental and so unwilling to veer off her list of requirements then honestly you're better off without her. A partner doesn't need to share your interest but she should at least respect it and be willing to try.
You deserve better, perhaps try building up friendships that could develop later on instead of going straight for the romance?

Just a thought. Good luck, you seem to be a nice guy who deserves better. :)

Come on. Mario is awesome. Zelda is better. Actually, the Nintendo Land, when they add Zelda to it(give em time) is the main reason I would go to Universal. Also, we all want to be a princess sometimes. Anyway, the friendship to relationship is good advice. That is where I always start with women, but a guy has to be careful to walk a fine line there too.

Last edited:

Lol fair enough. I did used to play MarioKart quite a bit. But I wasn't trying to bash Mario (or anyone who wants to be a princess), just to show how some people will automatically think of the most stereotypical things when something they perceive as childish is mentioned. They'll judge you on the most basic assumptions and not even consider that there may be a good reason why you like it.

Oh, I know. Was just injecting a little levity into it. People are going to find enough reasons to judge or dislike someone, so the only person whose opinion of you really matters is your own.

start a single Disney male looking for single Disney female thread (if there isn't one now)
they're out there I am sure

Yup. It wasn't until I hit 30 that I started to realise that. I used to be so concious of what others thought about me but now my attitude is that it's their problem not mine.
Dumping someone because they like theme parks us just so stupid. Think of all the terrible things someone could do...but you left because of WDW?
Sheesh.

I probably have thought of all of those things, but then, I am training in forensics work, so comes with the territory. Of course, that is the reason a lot of people enjoy Disney. It is an escape from the real world.

The thing is people are soooo flakey these days when it comes to dating, I think most of us would still encounter constant ghosting and other disappointments even if we didn't speak about our love of Disney. In some ways i think we try to blame our dating failures on our interests or our personality, job, social life etc literally anything in order to try and understand why we can't meet anyone and what's wrong with us.. when it's actually probably none of those things at all. People have such a low capacity to show interest in others now, they get bored so fast. After a date they go straight onto tinder or whatever and find another one, it's like a quick fix. People are so into themselves these days, the constant 'likes' and attention from social media fuelling their every move. Some people can't even sit down to dinner or watch tv without taking a selfie and broadcasting it on Facebook. Years ago dating was easy, there was barely any social media, people who did 'online' dating were seen as outcasts and therefore it encouraged people to date in the real world.. they took time to know you. There was no instant swipe to the next person hanging around in the wings, so if someone liked you or vice versa you went for it and gave it your all! I miss those times.. technology is wonderful but in some ways I feel it has made us regress slightly as a species. I wonder what 2050 will look like? Instead of partners people will just have sex robots and order babies from catalogues..
I don't think liking Disney is the problem, i just think it's the way a lot of people are now. Sometimes I think having all this phone technology constantly glued to our fingers has been the worst thing to happen to society.. :(

The thing is people are soooo flakey these days when it comes to dating, I think most of us would still encounter constant ghosting and other disappointments even if we didn't speak about our love of Disney. In some ways i think we try to blame our dating failures on our interests or our personality, job, social life etc literally anything in order to try and understand why we can't meet anyone and what's wrong with us.. when it's actually probably none of those things at all. People have such a low capacity to show interest in others now, they get bored so fast. After a date they go straight onto tinder or whatever and find another one, it's like a quick fix. People are so into themselves these days, the constant 'likes' and attention from social media fuelling their every move. Some people can't even sit down to dinner or watch tv without taking a selfie and broadcasting it on Facebook. Years ago dating was easy, there was barely any social media, people who did 'online' dating were seen as outcasts and therefore it encouraged people to date in the real world.. they took time to know you. There was no instant swipe to the next person hanging around in the wings, so if someone liked you or vice versa you went for it and gave it your all! I miss those times.. technology is wonderful but in some ways I feel it has made us regress slightly as a species. I wonder what 2050 will look like? Instead of partners people will just have sex robots and order babies from catalogues..
I don't think liking Disney is the problem, i just think it's the way a lot of people are now. Sometimes I think having all this phone technology constantly glued to our fingers has been the worst thing to happen to society.. :(

Lea, you nailed it right on the head there. Social media has created an age of narcissists, but I have also met some really good female friends through Facebook. Granted I am quirky in many ways, and do have work that isn't exactly typical, but I certainly don't have any problem drawing beautiful women into my life. Getting past the getting to know them or friendship stages is where I have always stumbled. Not going to quit being respectful, because I wouldn't want to see men disrespect my sisters or oldest niece. Can't expect men to treat them well if I can't treat women in my life well.

It is definitely a true statement about technology interrupting that way we interact with people. For example, as I continue with the online dating (using until my subscription expires) another woman had contacted me via text after I gave her my phone number. Granted I told her to text or call, but we then made plans via text to meet this Wednesday. It's been a few days now that I asked where she would like to meet and suddenly no response. I sent a text, an email, and decided to call her and left a message. But nothing! I really just don't get it. What's the point of going through the process of planning a date if you are not going to follow through. Reminds me of a Gavin Degraw song, Follow Through, great song for this thread. Like Lea mentions, social media just makes it easier for people to ghost, becomes a distraction for less face to face interaction to really get to know someone.

It is definitely a true statement about technology interrupting that way we interact with people. For example, as I continue with the online dating (using until my subscription expires) another woman had contacted me via text after I gave her my phone number. Granted I told her to text or call, but we then made plans via text to meet this Wednesday. It's been a few days now that I asked where she would like to meet and suddenly no response. I sent a text, an email, and decided to call her and left a message. But nothing! I really just don't get it. What's the point of going through the process of planning a date if you are not going to follow through. Reminds me of a Gavin Degraw song, Follow Through, great song for this thread. Like Lea mentions, social media just makes it easier for people to ghost, becomes a distraction for less face to face interaction to really get to know someone.

That is odd.. but then we don't know what goes on in people's lives. She may have gotten cold feet (in which case it's still rude that she couldn't just find an excuse or be honest but sadly some people are just like that and she has low investment at this stage anyway) she may have gotten back with an ex or started dating someone else, or maybe wasn't single to start with, maybe work got hectic.. just who knows! But at least you know it's nothing you did wrong. Flakey people everywhere. Having said that though, i arranged a date with a guy Xmas before last, to go for a drink in the first week of January. I didn't hear from him and thought he was ghosting.. until I saw the tragic news that he had in fact died 2 days before our date. That's why I hate it when you see these articles 'joking' that unless someone's died they are ghosting you.. as of course you never know :(
On plus side though that's great that you swapped numbers with someone in real life, if you have the confidence to do that then you are bound to meet someone sooner or later! Sadly we all have to go through a ton of flakes first it seems lol!

Yup. It wasn't until I hit 30 that I started to realise that. I used to be so concious of what others thought about me but now my attitude is that it's their problem not mine.
Dumping someone because they like theme parks us just so stupid. Think of all the terrible things someone could do...but you left because of WDW?
Sheesh.

It was a second date, not a "dumping" situation...like the dude why LOVED cruises. That's cool. He obviously wasn't ever going to go to Ireland, or Napa, or WDW, or Fiji with me because he really was insistent that cruises were his alpha and omega of travel. That's fine for him - I bailed. I don't love skiing, but I've dated men who did and went skiing with them, they went to WDW with me. It wasn't an issue. Sometimes WDW fans can get over zealous. We all have deal breakers. I have about a thousand. Its just dating, no harm/no foul.

It was a second date, not a "dumping" situation...like the dude why LOVED cruises. That's cool. He obviously wasn't ever going to go to Ireland, or Napa, or WDW, or Fiji with me because he really was insistent that cruises were his alpha and omega of travel. That's fine for him - I bailed. I don't love skiing, but I've dated men who did and went skiing with them, they went to WDW with me. It wasn't an issue. Sometimes WDW fans can get over zealous. We all have deal breakers. I have about a thousand. Its just dating, no harm/no foul.

Ironically, cruises do visit Ireland and Fiji, but I am guessing this was a guy who doesn't fly and prefers the Caribbean only. At least that is how it sounds to me.

Ironically, cruises do visit Ireland and Fiji, but I am guessing this was a guy who doesn't fly and prefers the Caribbean only. At least that is how it sounds to me.

He'd never been to Europe...international (not just the Caribbean) travel is a big deal to me. I can't imagine dating someone at this point in my life who hadn't. And I can't really walk through New Grange and Knowth on a boat:)

I'm just saying, WDW/Cruises/Camping whatever your travel preference is should not be that big of a deal at the point of a second date. Certainly not the cross to die on. Do you like that person, are they funny, do have good fashion sense, are they funny, do they listen to crappy music, are they funny, do you want to jump in bed with them, do they have a solid career, are they funny - those are important things. WDW is not a deal breaker, despite my love of it.

I think a lot of that kind of thing is timing...maybe she'd just had a great first date with one guy, but wasn't going to get out of the pool so to speak. She starts to talking to you and in the interceding time, goes out with bachelor number a few more times and decides she really likes him? Now, she should have said something, but some people prefer to not have the confrontation. Could be any number of things...I think the problem with online dating (I know it is for me) is that the grass is always greener, there are so many hooks in the water, when do you decide who's great? Any small flaw could be grounds for setting them loose. I mean, when there are SO many men, why settle for a B+ when you could, perhaps, find an A+. It does also as another commented suggested lead to an inflated sense of self-worth. People are all unicorns you know?

He'd never been to Europe...international (not just the Caribbean) travel is a big deal to me. I can't imagine dating someone at this point in my life who hadn't. And I can't really walk through New Grange and Knowth on a boat:)

I'm just saying, WDW/Cruises/Camping whatever your travel preference is should not be that big of a deal at the point of a second date. Certainly not the cross to die on. Do you like that person, are they funny, do have good fashion sense, are they funny, do they listen to crappy music, are they funny, do you want to jump in bed with them, do they have a solid career, are they funny - those are important things. WDW is not a deal breaker, despite my love of it.

Hmmm....solid career is where I might fall down....artistic type. Now if I am listening to crappy music, then I am probably making the same...lol. I have personally always loved to travel, any travel. Been to Colombia twice for work(no, not that kind). I am right there with you wanting someone to travel with me, no matter the where. My trips are usually aimed towards exotic, adventurous destinations though. Would love to spend a year abroad just learning a new language or skill.

I think a lot of that kind of thing is timing...maybe she'd just had a great first date with one guy, but wasn't going to get out of the pool so to speak. She starts to talking to you and in the interceding time, goes out with bachelor number a few more times and decides she really likes him? Now, she should have said something, but some people prefer to not have the confrontation. Could be any number of things...I think the problem with online dating (I know it is for me) is that the grass is always greener, there are so many hooks in the water, when do you decide who's great? Any small flaw could be grounds for setting them loose. I mean, when there are SO many men, why settle for a B+ when you could, perhaps, find an A+. It does also as another commented suggested lead to an inflated sense of self-worth. People are all unicorns you know?

Nah, more like horses(and sometimes "donkeys") pretending to be unicorns. Unicorns are pure of heart. Few people are but they want the unicorn all the same.

I will never understand why it's not deemed socially acceptable to love Disney, theme parks, etc. Especially for men. I would love to be with someone who shares the same passion as me and would share the excitement not because they felt obligated but because they want to.

You know what? I believe you nailed it on the head! Very well written. It's a rather pathetic time for socializing, we live in now...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!