Best age for child's first visit to WDW? Poll Inside!

Best age for child's first visit to WDW?

• 1 year old

Votes: 22 6.6%
  • 2 years old

Votes: 51 15.4%
  • 3 years old

Votes: 35 10.6%
  • 4 years old

Votes: 67 20.2%
  • 5 years old

Votes: 91 27.5%
  • 6 years old

Votes: 31 9.4%
  • 7 years old

Votes: 22 6.6%
  • 8 years old

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • 9 years old

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • 10+ years old

Votes: 2 0.6%

• Total voters

DisneyFive

When is the 3:00 parade?
Knowing what you know now, what do you feel is the best age for a child's first visit to WDW? ..and why?

No right or wrong answer, but just wondering what the popular opinion is.

Please don't simply choose the age of your child when you took them for the first time :), unless you truly feel that you just happened to nail the right age the first time.

I know this is difficult for multi children families, like ours but think of it this way... if you were recommending an age to a family with one child, what would it be?

-Dan

I would go with 4 or 5. My kids were this age when we first took them so I can't say if an earlier age would be better. We have been several times since. That first trip I saw so much Awe in their eyes. They loved the magic. As they got older it is still there but is different. They know some of the characters are just people dressed up but they still love to see them.

When my daughter was 4 and we were waiting to see Rapunzel she stood in line with her mouth open and wouldn't take her eyes off of her. She also had to take her hair down to her how long her own hair was.

Also, at that point my 5 year did not nap anymore and my 4 year old would sleep anywhere so the stroller worked. They were for the most part out of the tantrum stage. However we did learn to always have snacks with us as my daughter would just lose it if she got hungry. She very much gets Hangry.

I think my answer would be based on "First time" or "best time". If this is a one and only trip or even a one in few trips, I would say that around 5 would be the best time. But if you are going to go many times, there is no reason to wait for age five for the first trip. Take 'em again when they are five.

I will say that the do really get it at five. They know all of the characters and can appreciate the ride but the magic is still real. All of the characters are real, not costumes.

But, my son's first trip was when he was five months old because I wanted to go to Disney and the State frowns on leaving infants home alone.

I've taken my kids at different times for their first time. First one was 2, second one was 3, last one was 6 months old.

2 years old seemed to be a great age. #1, they are free. #2, you can take your time and do all the secondary attractions and character greets. There is no stress to "see it all", because they don't care, and can't do any headliners anyway.

3 years old was great as well. I wouldn't say there is a bad time. I wouldn't really recommend taking a baby. It's difficult, and they don't really know whats going on. I see quite a few of baby only families, and wish them well. I'm sure as a family its a great time, but I wouldn't do it.

Our son was 6 when we first went. End of first grade, and we were glad we waited. He had the stamina and "maturity" to enjoy it without meltdowns, strollers etc. I have taken a friend's toddler to MK and that was fun seeing the magic through their eyes, but for a full on visit to the whole resort, 6 was about perfect (for us). We also did EPCOT first on that trip, figuring that he would appreciate it more, before being wowed by the attractions in the other parks.

I've taken my kids at different times for their first time. First one was 2, second one was 3, last one was 6 months old.

2 years old seemed to be a great age. #1, they are free. #2, you can take your time and do all the secondary attractions and character greets. There is no stress to "see it all", because they don't care, and can't do any headliners anyway.

3 years old was great as well. I wouldn't say there is a bad time. I wouldn't really recommend taking a baby. It's difficult, and they don't really know whats going on. I see quite a few of baby only families, and wish them well. I'm sure as a family its a great time, but I wouldn't do it.

My friend went when her son was 9 months and it was SOOOOO much easier than at 15 months. At 9 months he was more like furniture, at 15 months he insisted on walking everywhere. But they go like 2 to 3 times a year...

6 or 7 at least, my first trip I was about 8 and think that was good; from my perspective I remember the trip, and I was able to walk on my own most of the time, so no need to have a stroller (I would have hated that). I was old enough to mind my parents and not have meltdowns, as those were not allowed. lol I was also old enough to ride anything I wanted to, and be a part of the planning all along the way.

I voted 5, but we're taking my son for his first time in January, he'll be 4.5 years old. We're taking him to all of the parks (yes, even Epcot, referencing a different thread), and I know he'll be excited to experience all of them. As a parent, I am definitely hoping to see the magic and wonder in his eyes that won't be there when he is 8 or 12 or 15, but we're all still going to experience for the first time as a family, so it'll be a great trip regardless!

If this is a once in a lifetime trip only and you won’t be going back, I’d say 5 years old. Be careful though, Disney can be very addicting- lol

If you plan to return many times - any age! We took both of my kids starting at age 6 months. Those trips were much easier than when they were toddlers and running around and meltdowns and all that! lol But- ages 2/3 were so magical too- the magic in their eyes meeting the characters was so amazing. At age 5, they are a little older- melt downs from exhaustion should be in the past, they still believe in all the magic of it all, and it is just a wonderful age for Disney.

But again- if you will be returning- any age is wonderful! Especially when they are under 3- and free- take full advantage of that while you can!

Personally, I think 5 or 6 for the first visit. (I voted 6 just to make sure they are tall enough for almost all of the rides) :)

Our younger daughter was 6 on our first visit (her siblings were 3 and 9). They all loved it, but at 5 or 6 it is magic... there is still wonder, they can get around easy, afternoon naps are gone, they are probably tall enough to go on the big rides, and they will remember some of it.

My now 10 - 16 year olds still LOVE WDW, and I don't ever see the love for WDW going away for them, so the magic is continuing for us, thank goodness.

As for optimal age RANGE, I would probably say 5-10 years old. Anywhere in there is still prime. My 9 year old loved it just as much as our 6 year old that first year.

Dan

Last edited:
Honestly, I think any age is right. My son was 16months and my daughter 5years the first time we took them. The look on her face when she saw that night time parade was worth every penny we spent on that trip. Every trip since (he's now 7, she's 11) has been magical in its own way. I always see the experience differently through their eyes.

I voted 4, we went for the first time when she was 4 and she was well versed in all of the characters. Certain rides are certainly not available at that age. But if it isn't going to be feasible to go again for many years I'd suggest 6 as at that time they can go on many more attractions. Her loving it so much after just turning 4 is what led to trips and 4.5/5/5.5/5.75/6 and so on.

Knowing what we didn't know when we took our then 2yo, my advice is to go when you can. You may never have another chance. I argued with my dad for weeks about taking her. Turns out he passed away a few months after the trip. If we had not gone, she would have never had that last trip with him and tons of pictures. So, if you can afford to go on vacation (any vacation), go and enjoy it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter