Best beach between San Diego and Disneyland -ish ?

MolonLabe

DTOM
To start out, this is my first trip to California so I know nothing about it except what I learned from Three's Company, Dirty Harry and The OC.

When I say "Best beach", I mean the best place for just relaxing without being swarmed with people.

For example on the west coast of Florida, there are many "little" places in between the major main public access beaches that are quiet and amazing. You can also find reasonably (for being on the beach) priced hotels / small B&B's or small hotels / bungalos that have their own private access to the beach, or at least access that makes it difficult for non-locals to visit. Sarasota vs the Southern part of Siesta Key island is a perfect example of what I mean for those familiar with the area.

This going to be a 2.5 day trip ahead of 5 days at DL, we will have a rental car but I'd prefer to stay within walking distance of the beach (or on it) unless there is very easy parking.

My area is basically anywhere from San Diego northwards. I do have to visit a place in Carlsbad for 2 hours one day, but that's on my way to DL on the last day.

Anyone have any hidden gems or thoughts?

I've heard of it before... prices for anything near the water are pretty steep there.
Anyone else have any thoughts for more out of the way beaches, and preferably a little further southdown the coast?

We've stayed at Carlsbad Inn Beach Resort before. To get to the beach, all you have to do is cross a small street behind the resort and go down some steps (maybe equivalent to 2 flights of stairs if I remember right). It's not a hidden beach, but a quieter stretch of beach in Carlsbad since it backs to houses and not the street or restaurants. We had a timeshare exchange in a 1 bedroom condo, but rental rates aren't too bad for being so near the beach. I just tried a random weekday in September and you can get a hotel room for about $150 and 1 bedroom condo for less than $200 (weekends are more).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter