Best way to get grocery- no rental car

DisneyFirstTimer10

DIS Veteran
We have used garden grocer several times and have always been pleased with them. This trip we have noticed prices are sky high and are considering a side trip to a grocery store to pick up a few things.

Store recommendations that are close to AKV?

Best way to get from either MCO or AKV to the store and back to resort?

Should we just pay the delivery fees and higher prices of garden grocer and save some time?

Last edited:
Your options include:
1. Uber to and from a store like Walmart. About $12 each way
2. Garden Grocer. Higher costs but you can preorder everything
3. Instacart. They go shopping for you for a slight upcharge. You have to order within a day or so of delivery, though, and if an item is out of stock at the store then they cannot get it for you.
4. If you are an Amazon prime customer, then you can order Prime now. They have an Orlando warehouse and deliver fresh goods within 2 hours.

I did a big dorky price comparison this past summer and found that for my needs, prime now was the best option for almost everything. I then placed a specialty order with Instacart.

Hope this helps.

Or take a towncar from MCO to your hotel, with a stop at a grocery store. It won't be the cheapest option, but it works for me. I get motion sick so I won't take a bus which can make stops at other hotels. If I have an early flight, my room might not be ready if I go straight to the hotel, so it feels like "in limbo" time. Yes, you can leave your suitcases with Bell Services and go to a park, but you aren't fully settled into your vacation during this time period. So I like to use this time period to do the grocery shopping. And I think it makes more sense than Magical Express to the resort followed by Uber/Lyft/cab to and from the grocery store after you are settled in.

If I were someone who did take Magic Express, then I probably would choose one of the delivery options rather than doing a grocery run.

We've used WeGoShop in the past and they picked us up stuff from the Walmart at Walmart prices + their fee. Thought it was very reasonable. They will shop at whatever store you choose.

If you must go offsite for grocery, take an Uber. Publix and a Supertarget are significantly closer than the nearest Walmart to AKL.
If not, everything from Amazon Prime to Instacart to Dizzy Dolphin to Wegoshop are all valid options. We've never used GG due to price.

the publix and super target are VERY close to AKV. (we were shocked when we realized how close AKV is to the edge of the property). We usually have our own car, but one year we did take a taxi. Can't remember how much it was, but basically the taxi dropped us off and left and we called another when we were done shopping. Easy

What do I do for a tip at Instacart?
They have that huge recommended service fee but the guy that shopped for me was also the same that delivered. I don’t want to be a cheap *** but I also don’t know that there is a “regular” amount thoughts??

I have used almost all of the services and we liked Dizzy Dolphin the best. I can get the best deals while also getting ALL of the brand items that I request. They deliver alcohol and will leave it with bell services to boot. A++ service and we will use them again come April.

Uber to the closest grocery store, shop for what foods you like, then uber back. Or Lyft. And if you don't already have either app, then you can download it and get a free trip (like up to $10-20, depending on code)

I just did a price comparison with GardenGrocer (which I have always used) and Instacart. It was $100 more with Garden. That is huge.
I would rather take a chance and not get something. Going to give it a try with our next vacation in May.

I used Instacart this past trip at the end of January and had one issue with a couple twelve packs of cokes not being included. I took a picture of the delivery and email instacart and they immediately refunded me the money. They also gave me the option to have it redelivered for no charge -- but I didn't want to mess with it at that point. While I wasn't thrilled about them messing the order up -- they did fix it quickly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!