Better to let TA handle it, or jump on a discount myself

PlutoTheDog89

DIS Veteran
Just booked Christmas week through a TA. I got a pretty solid price. I notified them that should free dining become available (assuming it goes until 12/22 or 12/23 and it's at, below, or slightly above the price I just paid), then I'd like to add it. They said they'd add me to the list and confirm with me before booking.

Based on my math, we'd save close to a grand by adding the days and taking advantage of the free dining—even with the unreal discount we found through the TA.

I know free dining goes crazy fast. Can/should I trust the TA to come through? Should I jump on it if/when it becomes available? Is there a way for me to book it and for her to still get the credit?

There's no way for you to book and still give her the credit. She would have to do it for you. I'm curious to know what kind of discount you got for December though since many people, myself included, have been looking and have found nothing available yet.

There's no way for you to book and still give her the credit. She would have to do it for you. I'm curious to know what kind of discount you got for December though since many people, myself included, have been looking and have found nothing available yet.

I'm not sure what I'm allowed to say re: TA's on here, but it was a 23% discount based on the Disney site and quotes I received elsewhere.

I'm not sure what I'm allowed to say re: TA's on here, but it was a 23% discount based on the Disney site and quotes I received elsewhere.

Gotcha. I'll have to look into it. In regards to your TA. I would just let them take care of it. Cause if she won't make commission if you don't book through her. Unless of course you're unhappy with the service you are receiving In which case ditch her and rebook on your own. But the TA's job is to take the stress of this off of you.

But you usually get either the room discount OR the free dining. I have never seen where you get both. Hope it works out for you.

Im thinking you may have went through one of those agency that buys up a block of rooms and discounts them. If thats the case you probably wont be able to alter your reservation.

Remember you cannot combine a room discount (I'm guessing your TA has a convention rate - same rule) and free dining. You'd have to cancel your TA room discount room and buy a package through Disney (can be TA through Disney) that includes rack rate room prices (you can look those up at mousesavers) AND a ticket for each person in the room (past years its been minimum 2 night with hop IIRC). So if you already have tickets and/or don't eat the $ amount of the room discount then it might not be worth it. (Be aware that mods and values only had the quick serve dining plan last year IIRC. You'd have to pay to upgrade to the one with 1 table service, 1 counter, etc.)
Also note that free dining goes very quickly - and they sometimes only have the more expensive room categories available. I'm guessing you have a standard view room (I also book through a TA who does convention rate - its always standard view for us). In recent years free dining didn't include standard view. So you will pay rack for a more expensive room.

FD could still be a good savings - you just have to be aware of the rules (and aware that you might not get the room you want, or even resort you want).
Oh - to answer your actual question: I would book immediately if FD comes out. Rooms go FAST. Someone will correct me but I thought you could then transfer the booking to the TA within a day or 2.
(PS I've been able to book FD BB for many years - we go end of August. Every year we cancel it and go with a TA's discount room only rate. It always works out better for us: resort we want, dates we want, cheaper.)

Remember you cannot combine a room discount (I'm guessing your TA has a convention rate - same rule) and free dining. You'd have to cancel your TA room discount room and buy a package through Disney (can be TA through Disney) that includes rack rate room prices (you can look those up at mousesavers) AND a ticket for each person in the room (past years its been minimum 2 night with hop IIRC). So if you already have tickets and/or don't eat the $ amount of the room discount then it might not be worth it. (Be aware that mods and values only had the quick serve dining plan last year IIRC. You'd have to pay to upgrade to the one with 1 table service, 1 counter, etc.)
Also note that free dining goes very quickly - and they sometimes only have the more expensive room categories available. I'm guessing you have a standard view room (I also book through a TA who does convention rate - its always standard view for us). In recent years free dining didn't include standard view. So you will pay rack for a more expensive room.

FD could still be a good savings - you just have to be aware of the rules (and aware that you might not get the room you want, or even resort you want).
Oh - to answer your actual question: I would book immediately if FD comes out. Rooms go FAST. Someone will correct me but I thought you could then transfer the booking to the TA within a day or 2.
(PS I've been able to book FD BB for many years - we go end of August. Every year we cancel it and go with a TA's discount room only rate. It always works out better for us: resort we want, dates we want, cheaper.)

Right, I'm aware that I wouldn't receive both. I've priced the free dining at rack rate with the park tickets and it's still cheaper than the amazing deal I found through the TA.

In recent years free dining didn't include standard view. So you will pay rack for a more expensive room.
Not necessarily. We booked 3 free dining rooms last year -- all standard rooms. You do have to act quickly, though, to get what you want.

Wow -- Somehow I quoted myself instead of @Amanda999! :tongue:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter