Between Christmas and New Years crowds....

Kim Gillihan

Kluvdisney
I had been planning our next trip for december after christmas 2019. I am second guessing that now after being there last week during spring break! It was busy.... we weren't able to do as much as last time when we went in June.... 2 years ago. But, weather was wonderful, cool, enjoyable etc.

I am looking for advice from those who have gone between christmas and New years.. is it miserable? Miserable enough to go in June in the heat and humidiity??

Thank you! KIM

Between Christmas and New Year was busy, so much so that most days the park hit capacity between 12 and 1pm. That said, as long as you were in the park before then, it was just another "busy" day.

I think however given the choice, I would go in June, mostly because the weather is better.

The biggest issue with Christmas is everyone has Christmas at the same time of year, but not everyone has their summer holidays at the same time of year, so it's not so bad in June.

Between Christmas and New Year was busy, so much so that most days the park hit capacity between 12 and 1pm. That said, as long as you were in the park before then, it was just another "busy" day.

I think however given the choice, I would go in June, mostly because the weather is better.

The biggest issue with Christmas is everyone has Christmas at the same time of year, but not everyone has their summer holidays at the same time of year, so it's not so bad in June.
Thanks! I appreciate it! we may just move it out... hate to but the reason for pushing the trip to 2019 is star wars land, so maybe by summer lines wont be so long etc.

Did Dec 30 to Jan 6 this year. It was wildly busy and unusually cold...windy and sometimes rainy. But still parks were busy and TS places were always backed up because people wanted to stay where it was warm. And the marathon was at the end and the crowds for that were shockingly crazy. With all our kids in college we were hoping to make it a regular trip for next few years. But not now. Too crowded and not fun.

We were also just there again, March 3-10 and will be doing that instead. It's both my DDs spring break. That week was significantly better.

Last edited:

Want to add that a big issue with the NYE/marathon week was that several days there was massive traffic back up just trying to get to parks. Horrible. Like a couple hours to get from resort to park.

If you want all the Christmas theme, go mid December. Everything is decorated and all the extra Christmas touches are going on, and the crowds are about as low as you will find at WDW.

Did Dec 30 to Jan 4 this year. It was wildly busy and unusually cold...windy and sometimes rainy. But still parks were busy and TS places were always backed up because people wanted to stay where it was warm. And the marathon was at the end and the crowds for that were shockingly crazy. With all our kids in college we were hoping to make it a regular trip for next few years. But not now. Too crowded and not fun.

We were also just there again, March 3-10 and will be doing that instead. It's both my DDs spring break. That week was significantly better.
wow... doesn't sound great! I wonder if you week was better than 10-16 which is when we were there.... I thought it was busy... only rode space mountain once, fast pass.... wait times really long in general.... hard to walk sometimes, like a sea of people! crazy .. thats what got me thinking...

If you want all the Christmas theme, go mid December. Everything is decorated and all the extra Christmas touches are going on, and the crowds are about as low as you will find at WDW.
Its a thought, I have to work it with my cousins family but not a bad idea.... if can swing it with work etc. thanks again!

wow... doesn't sound great! I wonder if you week was better than 10-16 which is when we were there.... I thought it was busy... only rode space mountain once, fast pass.... wait times really long in general.... hard to walk sometimes, like a sea of people! crazy .. thats what got me thinking...
Well the March trip was a little crowded. But if I were to rate parks based on getting there, entering, walking through crowds, waiting in ride lines and trying to buy stuff (food, drinks, souvenirs...etc)...all around park touring...I would rate the Dec 30 to Jan 6 trip a 9 some days and a 10 some and a 10+ some. Where I'd rate the March 3-10 trip 7 to 8. And this is a scale where 1 is least crowded and 10 is most.

Last edited:
Want to add that a big issue with the NYE/marathon week was that several days there was massive traffic back up just trying to get to parks. Horrible. Like a couple hours to get from resort to park.
I will confirm that. We arrived on Jan 3 for four nights and were amazed at all the traffic trying to get into the MK. The marathon is the second weekend next year. But the weather up North was also pretty bad and lots of flights were cancelled headed that way because of the snow. We thought that might have also affected the crowds at the MK. Getting to the Expo wasn't a delight either.

I had been planning our next trip for december after christmas 2019. I am second guessing that now after being there last week during spring break! It was busy.... we weren't able to do as much as last time when we went in June.... 2 years ago. But, weather was wonderful, cool, enjoyable etc.

I am looking for advice from those who have gone between christmas and New years.. is it miserable? Miserable enough to go in June in the heat and humidiity??

Thank you! KIM
We did a day trip to Animal Kingdom on December 26th last year and crowding was nothing terrible. It was miserably cold, though, as a cold front had just come through.

I will confirm that. We arrived on Jan 3 for four nights and were amazed at all the traffic trying to get into the MK. The marathon is the second weekend next year. But the weather up North was also pretty bad and lots of flights were cancelled headed that way because of the snow. We thought that might have also affected the crowds at the MK. Getting to the Expo wasn't a delight either.
we were supposed to leave on Jan 4 and drive north but a storm was hitting so we extended our stay to the 6th. Paid through the nose for only room available....at Coronado Springs.

If you want all the Christmas theme, go mid December. Everything is decorated and all the extra Christmas touches are going on, and the crowdsthe crowds have alwYs been really good about as low as you will find at WDW

Bill, we were at WDW from Dec 15'th - 25'th and the crowds were insanely crazy. We talked with people who were there the week before and they said the same thing. We have gone many times in mid December and hope that was just a one time thing

Thanks for the heads up, I will remove the mid December trips from my plans. I guess once the economy tanks again the crowds will drop off again. Or a few more price increases from the Mouse.

Thanks for the heads up, I will remove the mid December trips from my plans. I guess once the economy tanks again the crowds will drop off again. Or a few more price increases from the Mouse.

Exactly what I was thinking. Crowds at any time will not decrease until a slowdown in the economy. We were literally shocked at the crowd sizes this past trip

Bill, we were at WDW from Dec 15'th - 25'th and the crowds were insanely crazy. We talked with people who were there the week before and they said the same thing. We have gone many times in mid December and hope that was just a one time thing
We've done leading up to Xmas trips twice...2011 and 2013 and crowds were light until night of Dec 24th. Dec 18 to 23 was a great time to be there. I guess 'was' is the operative word and it's no longer a great time.

We've done leading up to Xmas trips twice...2011 and 2013 and crowds were light until night of Dec 24th. Dec 18 to 23 was a great time to be there. I guess 'was' is the operative word and it's no longer a great time.

Early-mid December crowds seem to have skyrocketed in the last two years. Last year I went in early December and the crowds, particularly in MK, seemed worse our June trip. December has gotten more popular with Christmas decorations and cool temperatures, but also Halloween parties restricting MK hours makes that park extra crowded when there isn't a party going on.

We went between Christmas and New years 2 years ago. I never say never but I probably wont go back again during that time. It was the most crowded I ever saw.

We almost always go December 28 through January 4 and then we go to VB and then usually a cruise. I’m all about seeing the fireworks, sometimes we go to one last Candlelight Processional. We always have a good time.

You can make any busy time work for you. Just make sure you go in with proper expectations. Get there for rope drop, manage FP+ and ADR's appropriately (meaning: use the 60 day & 180 day windows to your advantage), bail out when things get crazy busy and return later in the evening. When the parks are the busiest (generally the afternoons), it's time for you to enjoy resort time and/or take a nap. The resorts are beautiful, especially during the holidays. Take time to enjoy them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter