Bicycle Theft

kcp1377

Mouseketeer
We took the boat to MK and parked our bikes by the settlement. Got back and DS’s bike was stolen. They said they have been having lots of issues with stolen bikes lately (and I think I saw a PSA on here as well), but thought I’d remind people to use bike locks. Thankfully our newer bikes were locked. Guess we’ll be heading out in the morning to buy a few more locks (we have a week left here).

I always hate to hear when some low life scum bucket too lazy to work and make money decides to steal from someone who is actually productive in life and earning the oxygen they are breathing.

Maybe the waste of humanity will jump on the bike only to find the seat missing.

One can only hope...

We took the boat to MK and parked our bikes by the settlement. Got back and DS’s bike was stolen. They said they have been having lots of issues with stolen bikes lately (and I think I saw a PSA on here as well), but thought I’d remind people to use bike locks. Thankfully our newer bikes were locked. Guess we’ll be heading out in the morning to buy a few more locks (we have a week left here).

Make sure you notify Disney security who should call the local police department to file a report. There has been a dramatic increase in stolen bikes at the Fort over the last couple months. One person just got their bike back after police located it at a local pawn shop. They had their bike stolen from their campsite during the night and it was locked. I have been seeing posts on FB groups about this and there have been reports of at least 3-4 bikes stolen weekly. So please make sure you report it - hopefully the Fort is doing something about this increasing problem.

Thanks all! We did report it and the fort is giving DS a bike to use for the week. So at least we can still get around. That’s awful to hear that locked bikes have been stolen too. Any good tips for keeping them safe overnight? The locks we have are just regular locks so I’m sure someone could pretty easily cut through them. Were right next to a bus stop and every time I heard someone out there I woke up thinking they were on our site. Not a recommended recipe for good sleep!

Ugh, I hate to hear this! I have to be honest - we lock our bikes at the Settlement/Outpost/Meadows, but never think to lock them at our site...we will now!

Given the cost of some bikes these days I cant say I am surprised. Locks generally keep the honest people honest, criminals dont see them as much of a deterrent.
I would think that most common areas have some sort of surveillance.

Yikes! Have always recommended locking bikes 'anywhere' you are, but some people insist Disney is different! (not directed at you, OP) :)

Some of us advised a poster a few years ago to not bring an expensive new bike for teen son, but rather an older one - though he wanted the new one. Not sure what she did.

Unfortunately, there are 'thieves' even at Disney looking for opportunities!! A locked bike will somewhat deter those in daylight busy places as they (thieves) usually don't want much commotion - still would not bring an expensive bike, as am sure if they're determined, know how to snip a lock unobtrusively.

Glad Disney let you use one for the week!! pixiedust:

Any good tips for keeping them safe overnight?

For our trip, we got 12' cables like this...

https://www.amazon.com/Kryptonite-K...TF8&qid=1510584793&sr=8-9&keywords=bike+cable

Wrapped them around multiple bikes and an anchor (our tt frame) at night. Then we locked them with a shrouded lock like this...

https://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-...D=51%2BmynMqxXL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

A decent pair of bolt cutter would have gotten them through the cable, but it would have been pretty hard to do it quietly without disturbing us - and they would have come well onto our site to do it. With those deterrents, I felt pretty secure.

For our trip, we got 12' cables like this...

https://www.amazon.com/Kryptonite-K...TF8&qid=1510584793&sr=8-9&keywords=bike+cable

Wrapped them around multiple bikes and an anchor (our tt frame) at night. Then we locked them with a shrouded lock like this...

https://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-Padlock-Magnum-Stainless/dp/B00DYUROYS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1510585175&sr=8-4&keywords=shrouded+lock&dpID=51%2BmynMqxXL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

A decent pair of bolt cutter would have gotten them through the cable, but it would have been pretty hard to do it quietly without disturbing us - and they would have come well onto our site to do it. With those deterrents, I felt pretty secure.

Wonderful - thank you for the links! We have them locked to the camper frame now, but those would make it easier than the shorter locks we are using.

Yikes! Have always recommended locking bikes 'anywhere' you are, but some people insist Disney is different! (not directed at you, OP) :)

Some of us advised a poster a few years ago to not bring an expensive new bike for teen son, but rather an older one - though he wanted the new one. Not sure what she did.

Unfortunately, there are 'thieves' even at Disney looking for opportunities!! A locked bike will somewhat deter those in daylight busy places as they (thieves) usually don't want much commotion - still would not bring an expensive bike, as am sure if they're determined, know how to snip a lock unobtrusively.

Glad Disney let you use one for the week!! pixiedust:

If there is an up side, the one they took was older and while it was a “good” brand, we had nothing but issues with it since purchasing it. (Heck, it even had tape holding a piece on the back in place!) So we weren’t too upset other than the fact that we’ll have to buy him a new one. I’m looking at it as a good opportunity to upgrade him but I’m not sure DH agrees. :D Definitely not letting it ruin the rest of the trip though!

Yeah, this sounds like a local doing this. Somebody using th
If there is an up side, the one they took was older and while it was a “good” brand, we had nothing but issues with it since purchasing it. (Heck, it even had tape holding a piece on the back in place!) So we weren’t too upset other than the fact that we’ll have to buy him a new one. I’m looking at it as a good opportunity to upgrade him but I’m not sure DH agrees. :D Definitely not letting it ruin the rest of the trip though!

Hey, depending on his age but, just thinking here, you know...
Note from Santa: "Mickey told me your bike was taken when you were visiting him back in November and..."

Just a suggestion

Just was reported that another bike was stolen at the Fort today from the Settlement area. Please lock your bikes!!! Although one of the ones stolen earlier from the 1800 loop was locked with a kryptonite lock and they just cut it. This is getting ridiculous.

Just was reported that another bike was stolen at the Fort today from the Settlement area. Please lock your bikes!!! Although one of the ones stolen earlier from the 1800 loop was locked with a kryptonite lock and they just cut it. This is getting ridiculous.

This has gotta be a local...

Oh no! That’s awful! Maybe we’re better off putting the better bikes in the back of the van when we head to the parks. :( Thankfully we’re close enough to the marina to walk when we have to.

Oh no! That’s awful! Maybe we’re better off putting the better bikes in the back of the van when we head to the parks. :( Thankfully we’re close enough to the marina to walk when we have to.

Dh & I have expensive bikes that we 'do' keep in the back of our towed suv. We do this for the Smokies as that's mostly where we take them - don't bring them to the Fort.
I know this would not be feasible for a family of bikers. It's really sad that we can't trust all our fellow campers - thankfully most are good solid people.

Actually, I've seen some really lax people with their belongings at camp sites - toys, bikes strewn all over the site when they leave. Guess some of these thefts of locked bikes (not all) are in protective sites. Impossible for CM's or neighbors to see everything going on.

I would advise bringing older bikes or renting them. Thieves are most likely looking for resale.

:offtopic: I worry about my Mickey Lamp - a special gift that our ds made me for my birthday recently. I wonder if any of those get stolen? :confused3 Am thinking about getting an alarm similar to a simple window/door alarm.

Dh & I have expensive bikes that we 'do' keep in the back of our towed suv. We do this for the Smokies as that's mostly where we take them - don't bring them to the Fort.
I know this would not be feasible for a family of bikers. It's really sad that we can't trust all our fellow campers - thankfully most are good solid people.

Actually, I've seen some really lax people with their belongings at camp sites - toys, bikes strewn all over the site when they leave. Guess some of these thefts of locked bikes (not all) are in protective sites. Impossible for CM's or neighbors to see everything going on.

I would advise bringing older bikes or renting them. Thieves are most likely looking for resale.

:offtopic: I worry about my Mickey Lamp - a special gift that our ds made me for my birthday recently. I wonder if any of those get stolen? :confused3 Am thinking about getting an alarm similar to a simple window/door alarm.

While we were there in October, fellow campers were posting on Face Book that decorations were also being stolen.

Honestly I have a hard time believing it's other campers who are stealing things. I've read before that locals come in and use the pool all the time and the Fort isn't fenced so I'm sure it's easy for people to blend in and then do their dirty work. We all need to look out for each other and if we see someone cutting a lock definitely get pictures and call for help. I love the trail cam idea......

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!