Bicycle Theft

I wanted to let everyone know to be cautious about your belongings while at Fort Wilderness. We just returned from our first trip. One of our bicycles was stolen while we were visiting Hollywood Studios. I learned from staff that there have been regular reports of items being stolen. They said that bicycle theft has been rampant in the past year. The Disney security officer tried to discourage me from contacting law enforcement and would not even contact them when I asked.

The Orange County Sheriff's Office responded and was great. I would greatly encourage anyone with a problem in Fort Wilderness to contact them directly as I had to. I felt that the Disney staff did not want the attention of law enforcement in the park. It seemed that a park employee was most likely involved or was responsible. We had one employee pay particular attention to our bicycles. His nervous excitement was very odd, but it made sense after the bike was gone.

Be careful while you are there and keep everything locked up while you are away.

That's awful! I had hoped Disney would be addressing this issue. I've decided not to take our bikes when we go.

@2goofycampers ,
We could probably merge this with the other recent posts on the bicycle thefts that have UNFORTUNATELY been regularly reported here as of late.

Welcome @wncwildcat

Thanks for the heads up on this ongoing problem. I merged the 2 threads so we can keep up with them both.

I wonder if it's as much Disney not wanting it reported as it would be Security not wanting the report. Enough issues reported to Orange County & Disney will have to address the Security team issues.

It's also that once Orange County has the report it becomes public record and is available if someone looks. Publicity is everything in a tourist economy.

I was talking to my hubby about things going at at the Fort, he said if he had any problems like theft or dogs he'd rather just call the local police. As others have said, Disney doesn't want to admit their are any issues on property.

Just read on FB about a family that last night had their bikes removed from down by the docks. Happily the teens that took them were loud enough to draw attention to themselves and they dropped them in a nearby site and the owners got them back. poster doesn't say if they had them locked or not
UPDATED Person who provided the info stated they had forgotten to lock them

Last edited:
Disney doesn't want to admit their are any issues on property.

Nope, bad publicity in their eyes. In reality, if they did report it, that would likely help to control it and thus eliminate need to ignore it.

Than again, everyone seems to be going that route these days. Best to be "quiet and just let it happen sort of thing". This is applying more and more to all businesses.

For the record, when we told Disney security about the bike theft they made sure we called the police and were on our site when we made the report (they also gave us a bike for DS to use for the remainder of time we were there). There was never a feeling that they were trying to cover anything up. Granted, that was last November and I can't say what has changed since then or what goes on behind the scenes. As soon as we got home we bought even stronger locks for all of our bikes and try to keep them locked on the bike racks when we know we're going to be out for the day (when camping anywhere - we had gotten lazy about locking them up and this was a good wake-up call). Unfortunately I think the days of us riding our bikes to the docks are over.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!