bicycles

MudQueen22

DIS Veteran
We are planning our trip to the Fort in July 2019.

We plan to book a preferred loop. Is it reasonable to expect to get to and from the Meadow pool and to and from the boat docks on bicycles? We would rather not have to rent a golf cart.

(We plan to drive to Epcot, Hollywood Studios, and Animal Kingdom, as well as any other resorts we may visit.)

Yes, bicycles are perfect for FW and it's very easy to get anywhere there on bikes. One of our favorite things to do. We absolutely loved biking around, maybe the nicest place to bring a bike ever IMO. We never rent a golf cart. There is a path you can take also, a nice bike ride, over to Wilderness Lodge, so enjoyable. They have bike racks everywhere including WL.

We have been to the Fort 2 times and had our bikes. Very nice campgroud to bike around and nothing is terribly far away within the Fort.

The meadow pool from the preferred is about half way across the Fort, which is a mile end to end. From the preferred sites to the boat dock, I would not even bother with a bike, as it is a very close walk. Lots of places to bike to and places to explore.

Keep in mind, July you're gonna get rained on every day. We did the bike thing once, never again, 3 tired children returning from the parks and a loooong wet ride in the dark to 700 loop can pretty much ruin a day. no bikes again for us

Getting a little wet in hot July bc u may have to take a short bike ride back to your campsite would never bother me, or ruin my day, or keep us from bringing our bikes, but everyone is different. It's so much fun to ride your bikes there and so convenient. Maybe the nicest place we've been as far bike riding around. If it's forecast for a some rain that day (which usually was short lived) people, as we did, would put a plastic bag on the bike seat, or if it's forecast for a particularly rainy day, then take the bus around that day. You may have picked up rain ponchos if rain were an issue walking around anyway. It would never ruin a day or change my mind about bringing them, unless terribly bad nonstop rain the entire trip forecast.

Last edited:
That's good to know about the rain. We will keep the seats covered, and if we get the 100 loop, we will plan on walking to the boat docks. If we get wet from the rain to or from the pool, I guess that's not as big a deal.

We live on a street at home that gets a lot of traffic, and since it is a long stretch, people often speed. I don't let my kids in the front yard for this reason, and riding bikes down our street at home is out of the question. My older child learned to ride a bike at a campground, and my younger one learned to ride in a parking lot. For them, it's a real treat to get to ride bikes. My older one actually associates it with camping, and it's part of the fun.

Yes...I think for sure it becomes personal preference based on everyone's individual situation. In this case, for the OP, I think the answer to the question (it seems) is "Yes", it is reasonable to get around the Fort on bicycles, but keep in mind that it may rain, kids do get tired (IF you have them to consider), and do they (or you) care about rain, and so on and so on.... At very worst, you try it out once and see how it goes. If bringing the bikes is not a big logistical problem, then nothing was lost in bringing them. In any case, you can bring bikes, and many people appear to use them around the Fort for transportation. Some people like it, others not so much....give it a whirl!

Maybe you missed the part about the 3 tired children
Yes of course you take that into consideration, weather for that day etc. but you stated you wouldn't bring the bikes at all bc of rain possibility and tired kids, and having the option of your bikes there is great and you still have all the other options available also. We are just big promoters and enjoyers of biking there. It was honestly one of the nicest experiences we had at FW was just biking around the campground, and how easy and fun it was.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter