Big Island questions

Those are good choices, StephPlum, and I'm sure you'll have a great vacation if you stay at those hotels. But I would like to offer one piece of advice. The HHV and Waikoloa Beach Marriott are great, but similar in terms of their resort feel. I think if you also go to Ka'anapali and stay at the Westin, it will be too much of the same feel. When visiting Maui, my family much prefers either Kapalua or, particularly, Wailea. I don't know what "UR points" are, but the Westin is in the Marriott Bonvoy family so within the same family are the wonderful Ritz-Carlton Kapalua and my personal favorite, the Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa. If you're open to changing, I can offer more advice about why I like those locations better than Ka'anapali and what about each resort I think makes them the best choices in their respective areas.

Those are good choices, StephPlum, and I'm sure you'll have a great vacation if you stay at those hotels. But I would like to offer one piece of advice. The HHV and Waikoloa Beach Marriott are great, but similar in terms of their resort feel. I think if you also go to Ka'anapali and stay at the Westin, it will be too much of the same feel. When visiting Maui, my family much prefers either Kapalua or, particularly, Wailea. I don't know what "UR points" are, but the Westin is in the Marriott Bonvoy family so within the same family are the wonderful Ritz-Carlton Kapalua and my personal favorite, the Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa. If you're open to changing, I can offer more advice about why I like those locations better than Ka'anapali and what about each resort I think makes them the best choices in their respective areas.
I’m considering the Wailea Beach Marriott....I’d love to hear your input. Is Wailea area going to be super-touristy? We’ll probably be spending most mornings snorkeling the west Maui beaches, so I do like having lots of lunch options around. I’m pretty set on splitting between Wailea and a couple nights in Hana.

For winter on Maui, definitely we like Wailea over Kapalua. Kapalua can be very cool and windy (which we enjoyed one Thanksgiving week, as we lived on Oahu and liked the cool feel for a change). Wailea is warmer, and not so built up like Kaanapali is.

We spent a week on the Big Island, split up with half the time in Kona and the other half at Kilauea Military Camp in Volcanoes National Park. We spent an entire day to drive from Kona to VNP, stopping at a couple spots like a coffee plantation, Punaluu bakery, and a black sand beach. VNP was so delightful, as was Hilo. We did lots of easy hiking and exploring.

Either way, your trip sounds fun!

I’m considering the Wailea Beach Marriott....I’d love to hear your input. Is Wailea area going to be super-touristy? We’ll probably be spending most mornings snorkeling the west Maui beaches, so I do like having lots of lunch options around.

Not super-touristy compared to Honolulu; yes, compared to Hana. It's an area of upscale resorts and condos, so it has a very master-planned feel. Personally I like that, but is not rustic or rural (which is what I consider the true opposite of super-touristy). There are lots of lunch options around at the various resorts, in the outdoor mall Shops at Wailea, and just down the road in Kihei.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter