"big" screen, where and what to get?

shortbun

<font color=green>Peacenik<br><font color=purple><
First, I'm not rollin' in money so we're not getting a theatre style set. Second, I don't care about HD because I think they're going to get much better at it and we'll get one of those in a few years. Screen size: high 30's or low 40's(inches, that is.) I'd love plasma but it's not a requirement. We're only getting a new TV because the 20yo TV in the bedroom now has a huge green haze across part of it. We'll move the living room TV to the bedroom and get a better TV for when we all watch.
I need a good deal and a good TV. We will look at Consumer Reports. This will be a large part of our Christmas budget and I'm not happy about that but both the men in the family will love it!!!
I'm ready for the usual DIS expert advice. Thanks in advance!!!
Mimi

I know you say you aren't interested in HD, but I bought a 37 inch HD LCD TV at Sam's club for $999 plus tax. The brand is Vizio but is a offshoot of LG Electronics. LG is one of the top LCD makers in the world. We got the HD box from the cable company and the channels in HD are great. The men in my family REALLY love it. This might be more than you want to spend but we are, knock on wood, pretty happy with it so far.

TammyAlphabet said:
I know you say you aren't interested in HD, but I bought a 37 inch HD LCD TV at Sam's club for $999 plus tax. The brand is Vizio but is a offshoot of LG Electronics. LG is one of the top LCD makers in the world. We got the HD box from the cable company and the channels in HD are great. The men in my family REALLY love it. This might be more than you want to spend but we are, knock on wood, pretty happy with it so far.

ooh, that sounds like a good deal

That does sound good. We're Sam's club members. I'll definitely look there. Anyone else?

Because of the conditions you placed, it makes it a little harder to help. But if you have Costco you can go to, they have some GREAT prices on big TVs, and a nice selection, too.

TammyAlphabet said:

LG was the pioneer of LVD TV. And Costoc has the Vizio, too. They LOOK amazing. That is why I posted my post above, because of the Vizio.

This is the year that they got good at HD. Buying anything other than an HDTV at this point, is a very big mistake. If all goes as planned, non-HD televisions will start down the path to obsolescence in February 2009.

Plasma is not the only option, and I think the worst option, because of how short the lifespan is. Better technologies are now available. LCOS, DLP and LCD are all longer-lasting.

We looked around quite a lot, and went on many scouting missions to various stores to see various set side-by-side. We bought a great DLP set, a Samsung HL-S5087W. (Besides looking at other technologies and other brands, we also looked at the older Samsung sets, HL-R series, and also looked at the model one below the 5087 -- the 5086. There was no comparison in picture quality. The 5087, and its sister the 5088, were far far far better, and worth the extra money.)

DLP is especially nice for the budget conscious because unlike some of the other technologies, the cost doesn't increase with size as much... a 56" is only a couple of hundred dollars more than a 50" in some cases.

Wow, I have a lot of learning to do!!! Thanks you guys.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter