Bike share at Fort Wilderness

Is there a bike share going on at Fort Wilderness? Or does anyone know of a cheaper bike rental service than renting one from Disney?
Thank you!

jdansdad,

There is no bikeshare that I am currently aware of.

Disney rents the bikes at the Bike Barn for about $18-20 a day (no discount for multi-day rental). Thing is, though, (for those reading along) those are DAILY rentals meaning you have to turn the bikes in to Disney by when the Bike Barn closes every night and can only get a bike once they open each morning. You can't keep a Disney bike rental overnight. As such, anything longer than a 1-day rental is a logistical burden.

There is a bike store across I4 in the Celebration community that advertises rentals.

https://www.evolvebikes.com/articles/renting-a-bike-pg65.htm

They pick up and deliver rentals at the Fort. Since they let you keep the bike overnight, the costs aren't comparable since they're offering a different product.

Bama Ed

It might be cheaper to buy a cheap one online and have it delivered to The Fort and leave it for someone else to use.

I was wondering about a bike share too. We (myself, husband, son, daughter-in-law) are renting a camper in January 2019. We’ve pulled our own camper and brought bikes in the past but are flying down this time. We greatly enjoy biking around and prefer this to using the golf carts, but it would cost an arm and a leg to go through the Bike Barn or a rental company. Thinking about buying bikes at Walmart and then leaving them with another family when we leave. If anyone is interested in starting something up, let me know!

The fire pit share didn't last long. If this happens I hope it lasts.

We thought about doing this on our November trip too (Nov 23 - Dec 1). I could buy bikes for all 4 of us for less than it would cost to rent one for the week (and no hassle having to turn it in every night!). If someone is coming in on December 1 and interested, let me know! We'll see what we can work out! :)

I proposed a bike share a few years ago. Problem is, the bike has to sit outside waiting for the next person, so how long will it last? Folks shot me down pretty quickly.

I was wondering about a bike share too. We (myself, husband, son, daughter-in-law) are renting a camper in January 2019. We’ve pulled our own camper and brought bikes in the past but are flying down this time. We greatly enjoy biking around and prefer this to using the golf carts, but it would cost an arm and a leg to go through the Bike Barn or a rental company. Thinking about buying bikes at Walmart and then leaving them with another family when we leave. If anyone is interested in starting something up, let me know!

We are going Jan 27-Feb 2 and I'd gladly work something out with you.

Bikes are pretty easy to do, as long as you lock them up and put the key somewhere that the next person can find easily. I would go onto a place like Facebook messenger and find out if any of them are willing to deliver to the FORT and then you can easily get started from there.

It's too difficult to try and get people to pay money for bikes to start the share, because who would refund the money if the bikes were stolen or something needed to be replaced before a family got there. It has to be bikes that are donated or someone is just willing to buy them all.

The fire pit share didn't last long. If this happens I hope it lasts.

Still going on, I have it a week in December :)
That's why I said the bikes are easier than the firepit, because you can't just chain the firepit somewhere if there are gaps in your check in schedules and no one overlaps!

It's too difficult to try and get people to pay money for bikes to start the share, because who would refund the money if the bikes were stolen or something needed to be replaced before a family got there. It has to be bikes that are donated or someone is just willing to buy them all.

That's why I was offering to work something out with the people before me. If they were willing to buy the bikes and leave them there, I'd be willing to pay them a little bit for them, at least enough that it's cheaper for them than renting, and cheaper for me, too. If the next people after us wanted to chip in some money, we could figure that out too, but as long as the first couple of families split the cost (which I'm willing to do) then it's a win for everyone.

If it’s any help- we had to replace a bike while we were there, so my husband went on Craig’s list and found a decent one for $20! Disney’s rental cost for a bike is SO expensive- if anyone was going to buy ones for a bike share Craig’s list might be an awesome way to go!

That's up to whoever buys the bikes. I say we start a list of people who are interested, with dates, and then we will have a better idea of if this is feasible at all. If we get enough interest, I'll probably just start a whole new thread to organize it. I'm already thinking about how to label them and how to share the code for the bike lock.

My dates:
26 Jan 2019 - 2 Feb 2019 - We would mostly use the bikes on our first and last days, and could easily share the bikes with someone else the other days. Whatever works. 2-4 bikes.

That's up to whoever buys the bikes. I say we start a list of people who are interested, with dates, and then we will have a better idea of if this is feasible at all. If we get enough interest, I'll probably just start a whole new thread to organize it. I'm already thinking about how to label them and how to share the code for the bike lock.

My dates:
26 Jan 2019 - 2 Feb 2019 - We would mostly use the bikes on our first and last days, and could easily share the bikes with someone else the other days. Whatever works. 2-4 bikes.
I’m interested. October 22-November 4 2019

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!