Bikes, HHI, and a 5 yr old

gopherit

I'm not in the book, you know.
We have 3 kids (10, soon to be 9, and a newly turned 5 yr old). Everyone is proficient at 2-wheeled bicycling EXCEPT the 5 yr old (still on training wheels). We will work on that this summer, but here's my query -- what sort of bike will they have for a 5 yr old at HHI?

ONe the one hand, if she can get herself riding sans training wheels, she would probably want her own bike, independent little thing that she is.

ON the other hand, if riding is too difficult for her, it could put a damper on us going ANYWHERE via bike!

Do they have adult bikes with a child seat that would accommodate a 5 yr old, as a "just in case"? I am assuming it's a mostly flat ride around the island, which will help, but even so, little legs are making 2X the number of revolutions around as adult legs, and they will invariably poop out, no matter how energetic they may initially seem! I would just hate to pay the $80 for 5 bikes for the week, only to see them not get used because the littlest biker can't keep up and gets discouraged.

THanks for any help you can provide! :)

we have had great success with the "Tagalongs" basically a regular bike, with a tow behind bike attached to the rear. The little one sits like on a regular bike, handlebars and all, and can pedal. It helps a bit if they pedal, (couldn't get my DD6 to stop) but it isn't necessary for them to do so when they get tuckered out! :)

Disney usually is out of them when we get there, but the local shop they refer you to will deliver to your villa as well.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Hi-We rented a tagalong for my 6 year old daughter and she loved it. She can handle a two wheeler by herself but we figured with the distances we'd be covering and the added difficulty of riding on sand she'd be better off being able to rest her legs once in awhile. We rented from Pedals while staying a the Grande Ocean (we stayed 4 nights Disney/ 3 nights GO). They even arranged a pickup of the bikes on our check out day to help alleviate the last minute stress of packing, lamenting, etc... Have fun. :cool1:

THanks for the replies -- just one more question, though --

Can you reserve bikes form Disney in advance? I would hate to have half my bikes from Disney, half from somewhere else (for 4 or 5 bikes, it looks like it pays $$ to get them all from the same place! :) I think I saw that Disney, for example, charged $50 for the first pair then $10 for each bike after that?) WHat are the rental prices? Are they different for a tag-along or kids bike versus standard adult bike? Can I just call the resort to ask these ??? and get the answers, or is there some other # to call?

Oooops -- I guess that's more than ONE question, isn't it! Sorry -- and thanks again!

You can get the tag-along (aka Alley Cat) right from Disney. We did it for two years before my daughter went solo. You really want to do this if you go any distances (i.e. beach house or riding around the island). They charge the alley cat like a regular bike. They have always had one available when we rented, but if they do not they will get it from an outside source. Somehow I think you get charged the regular rate. It was $25 each for the first two bikes and $10 each additional. Our family of 5 was $80 for the week.

I am wondering if we can both a child seat in back of an adult bike AND a tag along??

We have three kids (6,4,and 2) and we are thinking about biking...but the configuration is stumping us... LOL Maybe it might be best to wait another couple of years.

In the past, the offsite rental companies have matched Disney's price if Disney is sold out. I'm sure that if Disney doesn't have everything you need, they will still match for you.

Laurabearz said:
I am wondering if we can both a child seat in back of an adult bike AND a tag along??

We have three kids (6,4,and 2) and we are thinking about biking...but the configuration is stumping us... LOL Maybe it might be best to wait another couple of years.

A different rental option for your family might be the cart than rolls along behind the bike. You can fit your two youngest children in there, then have the 6 year old on the tagalong with the other parent. Biking is one of the best parts of HH (IMO), so give it a try!

Here's a silly question I need to ask.
Where do you keep the bikes? At the rental area or is there some kind of bike rack where you lock them up? Do you keep them near your villa?

I am glad you brought up the tag along. Even though DD5 is riding independently, I can see her little legs getting too tired to keep up.
I love the info we find here on these boards!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter