Birds & Butterflies!! How do you attract birds and butterflies to your yard?

DisneyWalle

DIS Veteran
My Dh and I are currently in the process of landscaping our yard (its about time, we have been living on this land for 4 years now). Since the beginning of March, we have planted crabapples, figs, pear, willow, apple, pomegrante, and several cypress trees. I have hung two gourds and will hang two more gourds for the blue birds. The other day I installed 4 bird feeders (each with different feed), a hummingbird feeder and a bird bath. Within 20 minutes of hanging the hummingbird feeder, four hummingbirds appeared (I have never seen the first one in 4 years until I hung this feeder up). They are so pretty. So now I'm curious, what else can I do to bring in more birds?

Last year, I planted Lantana which brought all kinds of butterflies to the yard and I loved it. But this Winter was so cold that it killed my lantana, so I was trying to decide what else could I plant to bring the butterflies back. I did discover a butterfly feeder in the new Gardener's Supply catalog that I want to order.

So if you landscape and yard decorate to bring in birds and butterflies, please tell me what you have found to be successful.

Well, just in case others are interested this is what I have done this week. And it seems to have worked because I have birds everywhere and the butterflies have started to visit.

I hung up 6 bird feeders: 1 holds sunflowers seeds only, 1 holds only thistle seed and the remaining 4 hold song bird feed. I also hung up 2 hummingbird feeders. I purchased a concrete bird bath and created a flower garden around it. In addition to all of that, I hung up 5 gourds (that my sister painted). So far, I have seen the following birds at the feeders and in the birdbath flower garden: Mockingbirds, Mourning Dove, Eastern Bluebird, Cardinals, Northern Cardinals, Carolina Chickadees, Wrens, Ruby Throated Hummingbirds, and several more that I haven't identified yet. So fun to sit and watch them.
(I thought I would mention for those of you that garden, the hummingbirds have been visiting my collards which have seeded out and apparently they like their blooms.)

For the butterflies, my DH made a 4x4 raised flower bed which I planted about 5 different types of plants that attract butterflies. I also purchased a butterfly feeder (can't say yet if this was a wise choice but hopefully, I can report back in a couple of weeks). Oh, passion flowers grow rampant all over our farm -- I can definitely confirm that this draws butterflies. Just be aware, if you plant passion flowers or maypops it is invasive and once it gets started its hard to get rid of.

Happy gardening and bird/butterfly watching! :)

Wow, you've been busy but it's so much fun, exciting, and addicting to watch those birds. Blue Jays, nuthatches, and woodpeckers love peanuts so you might consider a peanut wreath. Just make sure to keep it far from those pesky squirrels! (The Blue jays also prefer areas with lots of evergreen trees.). For the hummingbirds, we've had success with a salvia called 'Hot Lips' which I plant each year throughout the yard and nearby a hummingbird feeder. We also put up the window hummingbird feeder from Wild Birds Unlimited on our window in front of the kitchen table so we can see them up close. Have you gotten any goldfiches yet with your thistle seed?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!