Blackbeard's Ghost

damage364

Earning My Ears
My friend recently bought the original painting from the movie Blackbeard's Ghost. It's huge, like 80"x 50"

I am trying to find out who did the original painting for the movie. I have been Googling like crazy and can only figure out who did the backdrop paintings and sets but not the Artist of the canvas painting. It seems odd that nobody want's to lay claim to it. Any Help out there?

Why don't you try calling the Disney Studios in Burbank, CA and see if they'll put you through to the archives? Maybe they can tell you by phone. Seems like the kind of thing they'd be able to find an answer on.

Cool painting. Wish I had one. It's the same as the one that's sticking up out of the pirate's loot bag at the end of POTC in DL. pirate:

I spoke to Kevin Kidney at Disneyland who is a main collectibles designer.
Here is his reply on this subject:
Hi Larry,
I always thought that the Blackbeard painting was done by artist Paul Wenzel.(see bio blurb)

Paul Wenzel: During his 42-year career with the Walt Disney Company, Paul Wenzel created thousands of fine illustrations for motion picture advertising and retail merchandising. His many film-advertising illustrations included posters artwork the Academy Award winner Mary Poppins, first released in 1964. His vibrant portrait of Walt Disney appears on a 1968 U.S. stamp.
I hope this helps
Kevin K.

I was wondering if someone knew where to purchase the Blackbeard's Ghost portrait, or at least a poster of it, and how much it would cost. It's such a great portrait, I cant imagine them never making a poster out of it. Thanks for your help.

My friend recently bought the original painting from the movie Blackbeard's Ghost. It's huge, like 80"x 50"

I am trying to find out who did the original painting for the movie. I have been Googling like crazy and can only figure out who did the backdrop paintings and sets but not the Artist of the canvas painting. It seems odd that nobody want's to lay claim to it. Any Help out there?

Hello,
My dad sold the painting to your friend in 2005. I have been trying to find it since then. Does your friend still have it? I grew up with it taking up an entire wall and have been missing it a lot. I'd love to see photos and or if they'd be interested in selling at all.

Hello,
My dad sold the painting to your friend in 2005. I have been trying to find it since then. Does your friend still have it? I grew up with it taking up an entire wall and have been missing it a lot. I'd love to see photos and or if they'd be interested in selling at all.
Hi, I just stumbled across this today and right after that I came upon this auction for the same painting that seems to be happening now. Best of luck. I really hope you find this message and are reunited with your Dad's amazing painting.

So, I tried to post the link, but this forum won't allow it, says it looks like spam. So Google Heritage Auctions or just Blackbeard's Ghost auction and hopefully you will find it.

I've had the issue of not being able to find a painting that is within the cabins at Fort Wilderness. They never made it for purchase. I eventually used an image I found online and went to print it at Staples in the form of a poster and now have it framed for a surprise for my father for Christmas. However, I wouldn't know if it would be possible to do that due to the size of this piece as you wouldn't be able to print it in the authentic size as it was originally.

The person the painted the painting was my father, David Jonas. He was also a storyboard artist. He was credited with many other items to do with art work for Disney. Sorry it was not Paul Wetzel.

Hi Chris,

The portrait of Aldetha Teach also seen in the film is very similar to that of Captain Blackbeard. Did your father do Aldetha's painting as well?

Thank you,

Nicole

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!