Blown Away By Some of the ADR Cancellations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken G

Earning My Ears
I cannot believe the number of ADRs that are for similar times at different restaurants, listed in the cancellation threads. I even saw one that had ADRs in 3 different parks, within an hour of each other. I have had much difficulty in securing ADRs and I began checking exactly at the 180 day mark. I no longer wonder why...

Am I being naive in thinking this shouldn't be done? I thought Disney had put in safeguards around this...

Sorry if this sounds like a rant, I just thought Disney-goers tried to be more considerate... maybe that's where my naivety truly comes to light...

Because park hours and entertainment change, sometimes dramatically in a span of 180 days, people "hedge their bets" and plan as much as they are able.
The good news is, that those unneeded ADRs are then posted here as a courtesuy to other Disers.
I know that I personally have had to rearrange plans to become more fluid as my dates approached and have offered up my ADRs to the board first.
You're not being naive, but maybe a bit unrealistic.
People on this board are incredibly considerate of one another. I think the longer you hang out here the more you'll see that.
Sparkle on!
NonnaT

As a novice at making ADR's 180 days out was difficult to plan - we only wanted 3 as an addition to our QSD. I made 2 bookings for BOG, Via Napoli and Rainforest Cafe at DS. I'm so glad I did because I didn't know Illuminations is later (too late for DGD) at weekend - as soon as I found out I released our Friday night booking - consequently that changed our Typhoon Lagoon/DS evening but I had the second booking for Rainforest- again I released the second booking. I've kept the 2 for BOG as that's the only one we really wanted in case we have to change plans due to my DGS special needs or we may go twice.
I would never have considered multiple times on multiple days but that's me.

Disclaimer...
I have never booked multiple days etc.
However, I can see how "the system" makes it difficult to secure a hard to get ADR.
So, I'm a "no judgement" kind of person. I refuse to be flamed for pointing out the up side to a sticky problem.
Thanks for the fire @mom2rtk

I also agree with the OP. I plan my meals at 180 days out and then plan my days around the dining times. I already have rooms/flights etc so my plan is in place. I am going in Dec and see people cancelling their times already. People will cancel due to fastpass etc but that is only 60 days out that they can be made. Do people make reservations without having rooms or flights or a plan in place?

I also agree with the OP. I plan my meals at 180 days out and then plan my days around the dining times. I already have rooms/flights etc so my plan is in place. I am going in Dec and see people cancelling their times already. People will cancel due to fastpass etc but that is only 60 days out that they can be made. Do people make reservations without having rooms or flights or a plan in place?
Yes, maybe they decide on different park different day. And you can't make ADRs 180 days out without at least a room reservation. Maybe it works out better for the other family members, who knows. But imho, it's not up to me to judge HOW someone else plans their Disney trip. I am just the uber planner who enjoys getting info from these forums and the occasional pixie dust of a hard to snag ADR popping up right where I need it.
Personally I'm grateful that they offer the not needed ADRs here first.
I think if someone is going to start complaining about how they post the extra ADRs, then people will just stop doing it.

It's easy to assume from people's posted cancellations that they are ADR hoarding, but that might not be the case. We get ADRs at BOG every day that we are in MK. Sometimes this is 3 days in a row. We do this because we find it's a great use of a QS credit at lunch. Good food, and we're guaranteed a place to sit (unlike PVH). Sometimes we end up cancelling because we need to switch our plans (thanks, Disney, for not getting park schedules updated until the month before our trip). So while it may look like we were hoarding the BOG lunch times, the intent really was to use them all. Two ADRs at the same time in different parks could be a larger family that had plans to split up for the day but decided not to after Disney switched around park hours.

If Disney would get the park schedules finalized before people make 180 day ADRs, I think we would see a lot less ADR hoarding. I find my frustration is with Disney, not the people who schedule many ADRs they later cancel. I love this board because people post their cancellations.

It's easy to assume from people's posted cancellations that they are ADR hoarding, but that might not be the case. We get ADRs at BOG every day that we are in MK. Sometimes this is 3 days in a row. We do this because we find it's a great use of a QS credit at lunch. Good food, and we're guaranteed a place to sit (unlike PVH). Sometimes we end up cancelling because we need to switch our plans (thanks, Disney, for not getting park schedules updated until the month before our trip). So while it may look like we were hoarding the BOG lunch times, the intent really was to use them all. Two ADRs at the same time in different parks could be a larger family that had plans to split up for the day but decided not to after Disney switched around park hours.

If Disney would get the park schedules finalized before people make 180 day ADRs, I think we would see a lot less ADR hoarding. I find my frustration is with Disney, not the people who schedule many ADRs they later cancel. I love this board because people post their cancellations.
I agree that Disney's last minute schedule issues are a problem when it comes to ADRs. But it doesn't sound like you're booking BOG 3 times a day for an entire week. And yes, people do that. I have seen those in the cancellation threads. For me, it's a matter of degree. The ones I really don't care for are the ones who go in and reserve it for every eventuality. And no, I will not be grateful to them for sprinkling me with "pixie dust" by releasing them later. I'd much rather everyone just be reasonable and fair about how they approach this so I can just book at 180 days and not have to refresh my computer repeatedly and stalk cancellation threads.

Ultimately people will continue to do this until Disney does something about it (like prepayment for more meals). And ultimately it doesn't matter one bit what I think. But I still think that once it reaches a certain level, it's wrong.

Disclaimer...
I have never booked multiple days etc.
However, I can see how "the system" makes it difficult to secure a hard to get ADR.
So, I'm a "no judgement" kind of person. I refuse to be flamed for pointing out the up side to a sticky problem.
Thanks for the fire @mom2rtk
Not sure why you care so much what I think. I didn't say a single thing about you personally. I have no idea how you go about booking ADRs.

It doesn't bother me in the least. I can always get the ADRs I want. I don't stress about it, just check the app periodically up until and during our trip. I have used the touring plans adr finder for harder to get ones, like CRT. I had 2 CRT ressies for our upcoming trip, and once we settled on our other plans, cancelled the one we didn't need.

I think we DISers put too much stress on ourselves with the planning. Just because you can't get your desired ADR at 180 days, or desired FP at 60 or 30 days, doesn't mean all is doomed. You will probably have a time open up closer to your trip. Take a deep breath, relax, enjoy the moment. And be thankful for the folks who post when they are giving up their ADRs, becauee many of us just cancel them and move on with life .

Yes, maybe they decide on different park different day. And you can't make ADRs 180 days out without at least a room reservation. Maybe it works out better for the other family members, who knows. But imho, it's not up to me to judge HOW someone else plans their Disney trip. I am just the uber planner who enjoys getting info from these forums and the occasional pixie dust of a hard to snag ADR popping up right where I need it.
Personally I'm grateful that they offer the not needed ADRs here first.
I think if someone is going to start complaining about how they post the extra ADRs, then people will just stop doing it.

You don't need a room reservation to book an ADR. A room reservation will let you book at 180 +plus 10 days. Without a room, you can only book at 180 for that day. So if you have a room booked, at 180 days and are staying for 5 days, you could book all the ADRs on day 180. Without a room reservation, you can only book day 1 of your trip at 180.

I wonder if they move the ADR closer to the Fast Pass window, it would cut down the hoarding. Now people get a bunch of ADRs at 180, then 60 days with your Fast passes is where you basically have to lock down which park and when.

I just thought Disney-goers tried to be more considerate... maybe that's where my naivety truly comes to light...
Welcome to the wonderful world of "It's my vacation and I'm gonna do what I have to do to get what I want no matter how it effects anyone else."

Yes, you were being a bit naive. You probably don't happen to work in a service industry, or you'd be more familiar with this level of entitlement.

Last edited:
You don't need a room reservation to book an ADR. A room reservation will let you book at 180 +plus 10 days. Without a room, you can only book at 180 for that day. So if you have a room booked, at 180 days and are staying for 5 days, you could book all the ADRs on day 180. Without a room reservation, you can only book day 1 of your trip at 180.

I wonder if they move the ADR closer to the Fast Pass window, it would cut down the hoarding. Now people get a bunch of ADRs at 180, then 60 days with your Fast passes is where you basically have to lock down which park and when.
True that, sorry

I change my plans around-ALL THE TIME:rolleyes1

I think I'm done & dusted- then Disney make adjustments with emh,emm,hours in general & other members of my family decide to come at the last minute :hyper2:

I book adrs with the intention of eating at those establishments & then adjust as & when.

Case in point-just yesterday I booked a be our guest pre park opening;
I had booked one at 180 days out for me& dh-
But couldn't manage to add dd so cancelled and changed our days around.
Delighted to now have an ADR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts